A Fair Judgment

Hypnos said:
from wikipedia:
"Traditionally, the word has been spelled judgment in all forms of the English language. However, the spelling judgement (with e added) largely replaced judgment in the United Kingdom in a non-legal context. In the context of the law, however, judgment is preferred. This spelling change contrasts with other similar spelling changes made in American English, which were rejected in the UK. In the US at least, judgment is still preferred and judgement is considered incorrect by many American style guides. As with many such spelling differences, both forms are equally acceptable in Canadian English and Australian English. In New Zealand English the form judgment is the preferred spelling in dictionaries, newspapers and legislation, although the variant judgement can also be found in all three categories."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment

so in this case the Americans still use the correct form and the British 'butchered' the word...

From WIKIpedia. LMAO. Get a valid source of information before attempting to make a point.

HazeM* said:
americans are total wankers with the odd exception. and if u say thats ignorance then fuck you im right. :D
No shit they're ignorant. Look at their music scene FFS. Dumbass kids who live by what the radio says is "good music".

blimey said:
No shit they're ignorant. Look at their music scene FFS. Dumbass kids who live by what the radio says is "good music".

By calling Americans ignorant, you're calling me ignorant.

Sure a bunch of the people over here are retarded. I never understood the "france sucks" thing. Go to any American teenager and ask them about France and thats what they will say. Then ask them why, and they will have no reason. Fact is, don't call an entire country "dumb." The people that make America look this way are loud mouths and thats all you see because the smart people shut their mouths. I spend my whole day at school saying to myself, "What the fuck?" The only topic of conversation is about drugs and crappy music. My school is pretty much illiterate, yet I still found some kids that enjoy good music like Opeth, Pink Floyd, etc. We're here, don't count us out please.

I love how everyone overlooks the fact that both Judgement and Judgment are defined in the OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY as the same word. Thus being commonly accepted in the English Language in both variants, regardless of location. So your argument that 'america butchered the word' is pretty fucking useless if the 'butchered' version is accepted in the Oxford english dictionary as PROPER usage. Your personal opinion means nothing.

Now please, come up with some half-assed stereotypical argument against that.

ok... Seeing as how this topic has in fact gone waaaaaaaaay off topic ill ignore the useless banter and emphasize the point that there are in fact two solos in AFJ. The two solos are in fact back to back and Mike starts and Peter takes over so Id like to ask which solo people are talking about. I love both solos as they are so unique in the way they are put together. Definately in my top ten favourite solos!

People talk about "THE" Dictionary as if it's the ultimate authority in terms of dictating the English language. The fact is that "bootylicious" is in the dictionary, folks. How? The dictionary is simply a collection of words as they are commonly spelled and used in media today. A word's meaning can and will change over time (often through sarcasm... do a bit of digging on the word "nice") as will its spelling. People determine language, not some brainless book. Language changes.

Unless, of course, you're French.

Oh yeah, great solo.

SmarterChild: Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Other important copyright information here.

judgement:

Noun
Variant of judgment.

...smarter child knows best....

but i say judgement :-D

lol @ the concept of one form of a language being "better" than another. when a group of people splits into two, and they are relatively isolated for a long period of time (i.e. britain and the US), then their languages will grow apart, it is an inevitable characteristic of human culture, and it happens in every single instance throughout all of human history.

if you read papers by linguists and grammarians of pretty much every language throughout the centuries, they will ALL claim that the language was at its peak some time ago (usually about 100 years previous), and now it's in a "state of decline" or some bullshit.

british english is not "better" than american english because they leave the "e" in "judgement," what a ridiculous and un-intellectual thing to say

BANNEDadrian said:
lol @ the concept of one form of a language being "better" than another. when a group of people splits into two, and they are relatively isolated for a long period of time (i.e. britain and the US), then their languages will grow apart, it is an inevitable characteristic of human culture, and it happens in every single instance throughout all of human history.

if you read papers by linguists and grammarians of pretty much every language throughout the centuries, they will ALL claim that the language was at its peak some time ago (usually about 100 years previous), and now it's in a "state of decline" or some bullshit.

british english is not "better" than american english because they leave the "e" in "judgement," what a ridiculous and un-intellectual thing to say

Well put.

I've read also that when a language is exported to a new place (I'm assuming that it would have to be rather isolated) that over time, the language spoken in the new place tends to sound more like the original language than that spoken in the place it came from. Wish I could remember where I read that. So the speculation was that American english (particularly that spoken in Boston) currently sounds more like the English spoken in England when the states were just annoying colonies.

I'm not sure how valid this is, but the whole "pahk your cah in the Hahvahd yahd" thing has always seemed like a holdover from British English. My first grade teacher was from Cambridge (MA) and I could have sworn, at the time, that she was a brit.

Language can evolve all it wants. I just hope we don't go to text message spelling some day.

I never said it was better, I said it was the first.

Adrian, shouldn't you be getting yourself banned again by making threads like "opeth are my pals"?

And what the fuck is this?
BANNEDadrian said:
un-intellectual
Nice vocabulary, dumbass.

"Judgement" was first? How did you determine that? Surely it could not have predated the jugement and juggement of the 13th century?

My aunt actually thought when she was little that she invented the word "booger". This all sort of reminds me of that. :Smug:

blimey said:
And what the fuck is this?

Nice vocabulary, dumbass.
un-intellectual: adjective: not intellectual

yes, i just made it up. one of the greatest features of the english language is its malleability

P.S. you're speaking with a third-year linguistics major BOO YAH