• A Natural Disaster

Votes: 30 52.6%

• Total voters

flebbie

a light has died
Sep 18, 2002
Groningen, the Netherlands
Visit site
So the tour is finished, and while we are anxiously waiting for the new album I thought it would be interesting to make up the balance between their last two mighty creations. I listened to them a lot and for me both are definitely the best they have done so far. AND’s strength is its diversity, every song has got a different atmosphere, Closer with its electronic influences, the jazzy titletrack, Pulled Under a fast furious metaltrack. But at the same time that’s also a bit the weakness of the album. Don’t get me wrong, I really love AND (Flying and Are You There are perhaps even the best songs they have recorded so far), but what I like so much about AFDTE is the unity, the songs are really connected, each one seems part of a big puzzle, like a concept album. I also like the constant quality of it, not a weak moment on it, all songs are superb. The funny thing is, as AND was written by one person so you would expect it to be more a unity than AFDTE, but I think this is not the case.

Concerning production, I don’t know which album I prefer, they both sound pretty good to me. AFDTE had a bit of a psychedelic floating sound, AND sounded more raw and direct. It both suits the albums.

My vote goes to AFDTE just because of the unity and the special feeling this album gives me. You know this album really got me through a shitty period in my life. I was too much on my own, smoking weed, living the life of a plant, feeling guilty about it and at the same time don’t do a fuck about it. The lyrics touched me deep. Parts like: “You gotta face it head on so you can turn this thing around cause this ain’t right” It really felt like it was about me and it touched me deeply. I knew had to go eye to eye, I knew it wasn’t right, I knew it was the only way, but I was afraid to change things, afraid to fail. This album made me think about things I had to do, confront people, confront myself. I’m not gonna say I wouldn’t have done it without this album, but it really helped pushing me over some borders.

AFDTE. it's the most "magical" album they've recorded. i mostly don't even compare it with other albums. it's not an album, it's in whole another category.

I vote for A Fine Disaster and for A Natural Day to Exit...Can't choose sorry
Maybe my favourite one is Panzer division marduk...good lyrics, kind of psychedelic influences...
it's 50/50!!!

Both, can't vote.
For me each Anathema album represents a period of my life, or reminds me of the time I was listening to it or going through times, be it tough ones, or just fun happy times.

Whahooo my first post. I'll go with AFDTE. Which is strange because at first i hated it, but one day it just clicked and now is my favourite Anathema cd.
Off AND my fave tracks are Flying and pulled under.
As a side note I would love 1 or 2 tracks like pulled under on the new cd, just for variety :headbang: