A HEAVY bass distorsion (or "How far can a RBI/BDDI go?)

I use my Maxon overdrive for boost in front of Sansamp DI. Works a treat.

I don't think you can successfully distort anything that is really big at the bottom to start with. You need to hit the mids.. I think.

IMO Fathomless Mastery just sounds shit all-round.
Decapitated 'The Negation'/'Organic Hallucinosis' or Meshuggah 'Chaosphere'/'DEI' for awesome bass grit. Actually that's probably a case in point of Sansamp grit vs Rectifier grit on bass.

Hell yeah! These albums have the ultimate bass tones :D

A friend of mine uses an Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff (he plays in a grunge / (psychedelic) rock band), I think it sounds really great and dirty.

I read somewhere that he uses a Boss Bass Overdrive and a Tech 21 Bass XXL
I just hunted this down on talk bass:

Got an E-mail from Jon a couple days ago:

I use an Ashdown EVO II 500 live and in the studio I'll use a number of heads, mainly an Ampeg SVT-CL or SVT-2, plus also Eden, Sunn and Aguilar gear, as well as my Ashdown of course. I use a boss bass equaliser (GEB-7) to reduce a bit of the low mids (160Hz) that are naturally produced from my Warwick Thumb-6, I also run an ODB-3 but I've just bought a Tech-21 XXL, which is a monster distortion, a bit differnt to the ODB-3, which is an overdrive. I also use a DD-20 boss delay and an OC-3 boss octave pedal for some parts of newer songs.

I just hunted this down on talk bass:

Nice. I found this on their myspace page

l_33f944fef7ff4afc86cbfa5b65d50f05.jpg

is that a Neumann?

I like this tone too

I know the bassist so I asked him what they used

"We used my Rickenbacker 5 string, 300 watt Tech 21 bass amp, MXR bass DI and Mesa Boogie Powerhouse cab mic'd up and blended with the DI. Little bit of compression for flavor. That was about it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I did monitors for a live band which used a Boss HM-2 on the bass. He used extreme settings and it sounded really really evil. On extreme settings it wouldn't be useful for studio, but i think it can sound decent on lower gain settings.

I did monitors for a live band which used a Boss HM-2 on the bass. He used extreme settings and it sounded really really evil. On extreme settings it wouldn't be useful for studio, but i think it can sound decent on lower gain settings.

I forgot to say that I do this too. This creates a nice distortion for the bass to blend in a bit behind the other bass tracks (if you use reamping for bass) and it makes the low-end ultra-fat.

e: maybe I can provide a (comparison) clip today / tomorrow, got my bandmates bass here.