A little bumed about Watershed's Lead Work

MetalHeadMarc

Dark Lord of the Sith
Sep 7, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site
It's not that I think he sucks as a guitarists. But Freddrik goes a little over board at places on the album. I mean, alot of times, he'll have some nice work and then boom, it goes to some filler run thats just fast but not very tasteful or expressive. I also don't like the fact that Mike doesn't have as many solos as he does. I miss Peter man. You guys may dissagree, but I like Opeth with tasty solos. I mean that's one of the best things about them. Mike's lead work is just so nice, nothing overboard.

That's just aesthetics so I can't really argue with you there. Personally I found Fredrik's solos to be very tasteful and a breath of fresh air.

I mean, at parts Freddy nails it. He fits the band. But some times he'll speed up and it's like he's trying to john petrucci it and just doesn't work man. I'll elaborate, He nails it on Heir Apperant but then towards the end, he gets a little to shreddy. I don't know, I hold Opeth in the highest regard so I'm probably being over sensitive but the new album is so fucking good dudes. I've listened to it like 6 or 7 times already, I've only had it 2 days b/c I didn't want to spoil the wait by illegally hacksoring it early like I know all you guys did.

I mean, at parts Freddy nails it. He fits the band. But some times he'll speed up and it's like he's trying to john petrucci it and just doesn't work man.

Yeah aight I can see that a bit. But I think that's just because it's a departure from the past work of solos. Mikael and Peter aren't necessarily the most technical players in the metal soloer's world, so they don't have that big a budget to work with when it comes to soloing - which is why each note is handpicked and their stuff is invariably tasteful as hell. Fredrik's got more up his sleeve, but he knows when and what not to play. So looking back through the albums and having been used to this lopsided ratio of tastefulness to technicality with Peter and Mikael, Fredrik's might seem a little out of place with that legacy. In Watershed's context and ignoring the past work, the solos are GOOD. But best solo goes to Per easily. That was the most heartwrenching hammond solo I've ever heard.

I disagree, I love his guitar work and I think he and Mike work very well together. Fred can play the more metal technical solo's while Mike concentrates on the mellow emotive solo's. He is a highly proficient player and breaths fresh air into Opeth.

I don't think with Opeth there is such a thing as too tasteful, or for most music for that matter. I just hold Fred's place in the band doubtful. Per and Axe fit the band, but I just don't know.

Peter's solos were amazing. Less shred, way more feeling and they seemed to fit more with the feel of the songs. Funeral Portrait and When come to mind.

I think that having Fredrik in the band adds a new element to Opeth that they didn't have before, and it contrasts very well with Mike.

I think Fredrik's work is tasteful in some parts. The overall song compositions don't allow for much in the way of solo expressiveness. That is, unless we treat this like the new Porcupine Tree album. I feel like Fredrik has has the right ideas trying to bring a little metal onto this disc but he just doesn't pull it off in the classic Opeth manner.

my personal opinion is that fredrik's mix of fast and tasteful licks is a nice contrast to mike's feel. Mike is like the David Gilmour of metal, and Fredrik is just a badass haha

Peter's solos were amazing. Less shred, way more feeling and they seemed to fit more with the feel of the songs. Funeral Portrait and When come to mind.

Peter's solos were amazing. Less shred, way more feeling and they seemed to fit more with the feel of those songs.

Actually, I agree with most of the other people here, sying that while I absolutely loved Peter's solos, I think Fred's are refreshingly different. As someone who appreciates both fast and slow playing, I just don't compare the two. I really don't. Peter played on the old discs. His solos were great. Fred plays on Watershed. His solos are great too.

That's it.

But one thing's for sure: Kudos to Per for that absolutely jaw-dropping Hammond-solo. I had tears in my eyes the first time I heard that. :OMG:

I don't think Fred overdid it. He came close, but he just kept the balance. Mind you, a fast, sweeping, tapping solo can still be emotive. It's all in the choice of the notes that you play fast :)

PS: I also love Per's Hammond-solo. I think with Watershed Per finally got equal rights in the music of Opeth.