A little prayer to Chris

Vytler

New Metal Member
Jul 18, 2012
Hello Chris and everybody!

Month ago I was in a Megadeth's concert in Lithuania and was kind of dissapointed of how Chris does Friedman's solo's.

Chris, you have awesome technique, super speed, amazing skills, but you lack of feeling at solo's. I know that you are not Friedman, and those who will state that to me, I know it already. I dream about you playing same solo's with more feeling and stop being robot. Trust song is perfect example of you being robot at solo comparing to Friedman's performances.

Thats just a notice and no way some kind of personal attack :)

Thanks for everything!

what do you mean by feel..? you want more vibrato? more "out-there" bends?? ... i think he totally nails the solos, he plays them better live than marty did!! no matter how good you get there are always gonna be critics it seems... *face palm (mute)*

It also has to be taken into account that Chris and Marty are two entirely different players. Marty's style is based a lot around the exotic Eastern styles, the Indian and the Japanese influences. Those are very, very expressively based styles and translating them to guitar the right way also requires a lot of strong emotional content, or "feel" as it might be called, and that's very notable with his playing.

Chris, on the other hand, while having the classical guitar background, was also more technically inclined as opposed to exotically inclined, with the 8 finger tapping, the eccentric use of the 7th string and the technical demands of Jag Panzer and later Nevermore. Though he can play the exotic scales, they're not used in the same context and mindset that Marty uses them, meaning they will play them with different effect and expression. To Marty, that "feel" is very natural and conducive to his playing; to Chris, it's not.

Now, I'm also not slagging on Chris about anything (seeing as there's nothing to slag about). I can agree with Vytler in regards to not having Marty Friedman's expression in regards to Megadeth's solos; however, I disagree in regards to the performances being "robotic". Chris does perform the solos impeccably well and with excellent precision. There's also a lot to focus on when it comes to playing some of those solos, and at times it's a better idea to focus on note and speed accuracy than adding small flairs of expression. Both are incredible players; both play the solos their own way. It's just their natural way of utilizing the instrument.

Month ago I was in a Megadeth's concert in Lithuania and was kind of dissapointed of how Chris does Friedman's solo's.

Chris, you have awesome technique, super speed, amazing skills, but you lack of feeling at solo's. I know that you are not Friedman, and those who will state that to me, I know it already. I dream about you playing same solo's with more feeling and stop being robot. Trust song is perfect example of you being robot at solo comparing to Friedman's performances.

Thanks for everything!

Here's a bit of "feeling" for you. Haha!

Nothing personal, I was just trying to have a little fun. But I strongly recommend you to at least read the "Early years" section on the Wikipedia about him. He is a terrific player and an amazing musician (if ain't wrong, he has a Master on Classical Music)

I listen to Megadeth since 1992 (when I was just 6 years old) and I think he is the most "teorically prepared" of all the members that the band ever had. In my opinion, if both Daves let him get involved in the composition of new songs, Megadeth might be able to recreate his sound and face a whole new era.

But as I said, that's just my opinion...

Have a good one, man!

Last edited by a moderator:
It also has to be taken into account that Chris and Marty are two entirely different players. Marty's style is based a lot around the exotic Eastern styles, the Indian and the Japanese influences. Those are very, very expressively based styles and translating them to guitar the right way also requires a lot of strong emotional content, or "feel" as it might be called, and that's very notable with his playing.

Chris, on the other hand, while having the classical guitar background, was also more technically inclined as opposed to exotically inclined, with the 8 finger tapping, the eccentric use of the 7th string and the technical demands of Jag Panzer and later Nevermore. Though he can play the exotic scales, they're not used in the same context and mindset that Marty uses them, meaning they will play them with different effect and expression. To Marty, that "feel" is very natural and conducive to his playing; to Chris, it's not.

Now, I'm also not slagging on Chris about anything (seeing as there's nothing to slag about). I can agree with Vytler in regards to not having Marty Friedman's expression in regards to Megadeth's solos; however, I disagree in regards to the performances being "robotic". Chris does perform the solos impeccably well and with excellent precision. There's also a lot to focus on when it comes to playing some of those solos, and at times it's a better idea to focus on note and speed accuracy than adding small flairs of expression. Both are incredible players; both play the solos their own way. It's just their natural way of utilizing the instrument.

Great post! Very well said.

Chris does add a few licks here and there, but they aren't immediately apparent to guys who don't play much (sweeps and tremolo picking in some solos).

I think most people assume he isn't putting any feeling in his solos because of his on-stage demeanor, but he nails the sound, so I say let him act however he wants.

Thanks for everything!

Is this what you are trying to say?

http://youtu.be/391VrmjAPn4?t=25s

Vytler, just stop. The way you phrased the entire thing just conveys a disrepapectful message.