A Natural Disaster Reviews

i don't think that those too are bad reviews at all...
i remember reading a very bad review about the last album of staind(in metal hammer), i downloaded the album, expecting it to be disgusting or something, (it had many songs on it and listening to song after song i expected something very bad) but actually the album turn out to be very good...

Review in Terrorizer Mag 9/10.

In retrospect it was naive of us to talk up 2001's" AFDTE" as some sort of potential crossover mainstream breakthrough. Taking on the might of Jools Holland, Q, MTV, theNME and Jo Whiley and spending shitloads on billboards isn't really what MFN would ordinarily do to promote an album, and when the single release of "Pressure" was cancelled because radio and TV wern't going to play it, any remaining hope that Anathema would get the big break they deserved was shown to be an errant wisp of unrealistic optimism. But thats not what it was ever about. Truth be known, I hoped "AFDTE" would get them noticed by the Indie hipsters because then it would have been a necessary evil; alas, taken as an Anathema album in its own right,"AFDTE" was a bland, toothless disappointment, hesitantly commercial and boring like the Coldplay/Travis/Stereophonics axis they sought to penetrate. My reaction at the time was cautious praise, so caught up was I in Anathema's potential success, but recent spins confirm that"AFDTE" was the exact opposite of a "grower".
A Natural Disaster reasserts Anathema's unrefined essence without it being a step backwards. True, at times it sounds like the band have gone back and done "Eternity" properly, but"AND" is both instintively timeless and utterly contemporary, breezing through the usual Floyd comparisons with a biting metallic stomp that reminds us that Anathema still know their Frost. Meanwhile parallels can be drawn with Fat Cat's roster of eccentric experimentalists, especially during"Childhood Dream"- a disorientating but moving instrumental interlude in the best"Seranades" tradition- while further flirtation with the acceptable face of modern prog(Air, Radiohead, Mogwai,Tortoise etc) rounds out the album far more convincingly than the offensive spume of its predecessor.
By the time "Closer" floats past, all Kraftwerk-a-day vocoded vox and compulsive organic flow, "AND" is already a full-blooded return to form. "Are you There?" is a mellifluous stream of ambient guitars and hushed melodies, while "Pulled Under at 2000 metres a second" kicks and screams its way through the album's mid-point, bursting out to gallop like Primordial through epic, rolling chords, charging towards the haunting title track, beautifully crooned by Lee Douglas (drummer John's sister) and boasting a miraculously warm and rich drum sound, placing this unusual, chart-ready tune somewhere between the softer moments of Led Zeppelin and the denser moments of Tori Amos. As for 10 minute closer "Violence", Anathema havn't been this savagely metallic and noisy since "The Silent Enigma".
Put simply, Anathema are firmly back on track obeying their own fulsome muse, making albums-of- the year again on their own terms. The mainstream music business is a superficial, soulless boardroom of hypocrites and time-servers, so let's not piss about with talk of airplay and advertising- this album is right here for the listening, freely available for anyone clever enough to look for it. Anathema are a unique, imaginative jewel in the crown of independent British music, and its great to have them back on form.

heh, i think that terrorizer is the only readable mag left from the bigger ones :)
those reviews are good and probably the band will sell some more cds (let hope so)

I've been making a listing of French metal webzines since this morning and I found AND reviewed on most of them, loads of interviews too ( Danny !!! :erk: ). All the reviews were from basically good to awesome. No bad ones !

Another AND review found in Dec/Jan edition of Power Play magazine. 98 Reviews. 5/98 get 10/10, one of which is Anathema's (Others are ZZ Top, Nickleback, Stampin'Ground and Ringworm).

Readers, a miracle has happened here and no mistake. Anathema, missing presumed very dead since 2001's lacklustre "AFDTE" , have returned to the fold - Let us welcome them back with the love and gratitude reserved for true doom legends! Mmmm tasty stuff this humble pie.
Lets make no bones- critically acclaimed it may have been , but "AFDTE" was pants. I remember a friend of mine emailing me in despair to deride the " utter crap" his once favourite band had come out with. the brothers Cavanagh must have felt our pain, because they have paid us back with the album of their lives.
From the first spine-tingling moments of opener "Harmonium" you immediately get the feeling that this self-produced effort(all-written by Danny) is going to be right on the money. Long gone is anything resembling the traditional doom that made their name, but their trademark, ethereal guitar sound is instantly recognisable, and the lovely vocals of the lovely Vinnie are as sweet, emotive and understated as ever. Rather than being metal, the most intense moments, like the stunningly-arranged instrumental "Violence", are rather reminiscent of dark/ambient rock, like Mogwai at their heaviest, or Radiohead.
"Pulled Under....."is the most old-school Anathema track, while the gurgling baby and beautiful acoustic melody on" Childhood Dream" has to be a tribute to their "Eternity" era.
"Are you There?" and "Electricity are 2 simple short songs that will break you heart, while the use of a vocoder on "Closer" harks like a darker, twisted Air. The bluesy title track is gorgeous, as their use of female vocals always has been. Anathema has always been rather fine at building up an ambient atmosphere to a frenzied crescendo , and this release shows that they really have become masters of their art.
As doom freak, its always been fascinating to watch how bands like Anathema have evolved into some of the finest bands any genre can offer. Listening to "AND" I'm completely shamefaced for having written them off. This moving beautiful and thoroughly outstanding CD goes in with a bullet as one of the best of the year, and is certainly as damn near perfect as Anathema have ever been or are likely to get. Truly fantastic Stuff. ( Vicky Anderson) 10/10

The latest edition of Terrorizer Magazine has a 2 page interview with Vinny and Danny.

Found this on http://www.clonemetal.dk/index.html and translated it. Had to do sone translation exercise anyway for school, was either this or some assignments my teacher wasn't gonna spend much time correcting anyways, thought this at least had a glimpse of purpouse, here you go.

"Anathema is by no means a new band. This is the 7th album from the band, which started out as part of the doom metal underground, known as one of ”the big three of british Doom-metal” in the early 90s, the 2 others being PL and MDB. Through the last decade the band underwent drastic changes, away from the dead heavy and slow doom metal toward a sound mostly inspired by Pink Floyd. Following the amazing, but in many ways slightly odd "A4", co-songwriter and bassist Duncan Patterson left the band (he later resurfaced with Antimatter). The follow-up "Judgement" was still great, but then the band staggered a bit with "A Fine Day To Exit" from 2001, which seemed an attempt to achieve broad recognition by including inspiration from modern emotional rockbands as Radiohead. Following that album, the line-up has underwent further changes, newcomer bassist Dave Pybus has been replaced by the third Cavanagh brother Jamie, leaving the band looking as almost a pure family business. Due in part to this, it's not without relief, I conclude that "A Natural Disaster" shows a band, which seems to have found itself, though they haven't completely abandoned their newer musical references.

The album starts off calmly with "Harmonium", which builds up with keyboards, guitar harmonies and echoing drums, before a heavier guitar riff breaks in and carries the mid section of the song, which ends as it started. This is followed by 3 of the best tracks on the album, "Balance" is built up by Radiohead-ish synths until a heavy, rocking and tearing crescendo takes over leading the song into "Closer", which is a dreamish spaced out thingy with vocoder vocals. Danny Cavanagh sings "Are You There?", taking over from Vincent, and his unsure and fragile voice fits this very "Floydian" track, which is a real highlight of the album, perfectly. After a short intermezzo of samppled children's voices and ghostly piano, the second half of the album kicks off with ”Pulled Under at 2000 Meters a Second”, an uptempo rocker in the same style, but better than, "Panic" from "AFDTE", still showing this isn't where the band has its strength. Lee Douglas sings the title track, it's not the first time she offers her fine female vocals to Anathema tracks, and she does a fine job here as well. ”Flying” and ”Electricity”, the lattter being sung by Daniel, brings a bit of Coldplay inspiration into the equation, before the album is closed by a 10 minute instrumental "Violence", which begins softly before escalating to a rocking climax, which is then subdued again and dies out with a few piano chords.

In spite of a few too obvious references to other bands, the album shows that Anathema is a band, which slowly, but surely, delicates their very own form of emotional, melancholic rock, realising it does noone any good to comprimise one's own musical ideas in the hunt for that broader recognition, which is so hard to get for a band stigmatised by a past in the metal underground."

I have only one remark, Coldplay? o_O

Quagmire said:
I've read that one before, it's very harsh indeed... too harsh I think, almost aggressive.
"Das Schrecklichste zuerst..."
"...dermaßen frech"
"...dies hier geht auf keine Kuhhaut"
"...mit wichtigtuerischer Elektronik"
"...ich bin selten ein Fan von aufgewärmten Mahlzeiten"
...:err:

toolsofthetrade said:
translate please?
Ok, I'll do my best to give you his point somehow...

"Das Schrecklichste zuerst..." "First of all, the worst thing..." - it's about alleged parallels between "Pulled Under..." and Pink Floyd's "Sheep". Those similarities strike him as extremely bold, "impudent" and "simply unbearable".

"...mit wichtigtuerischer Elektronik" "...with pompous electronics" - he's referring to most of the other songs that to him all seem to have the same boring scheme of electronic intro/ constant rhythm/ guitar build-up, without really reaching any climax.

In the end he says that he's not a fan of warmed-up meals... That pretty much sums up what he thinks of AND.

:erk:

...which is obviously a display of taste - which is fair enuff, but did the writer actually deploy his actual objective/professional view on the music? guess not den.

:erk: indeed