A post about the progressiveness of Opeth and Dream Theater - look what happened

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I made a post on the John Petrucci forum, asking people their opinion on who's more progressive: Opeth or Dream Theater? I asked them not to get into the meaning of 'progressive' because we all have a meaning of it on our mind, but there's no final consensus on the exact meaning of it. So I just asked which band they considered more prog in their own criteria saying those who have only heard a few Opeth songs or just one album should keep their opinions for themselves as it would be pointless to compare such a band with one of your favourite bands, since it's the forum a DT member - and look what happened. Most of them just got so touchy because I voted for Opeth, even though I pointed out that DT is my second favourite band. I said I like DT better overall, but Opeth is the more progressive band IMO and I got all kinds of replies, even people attempting to make fun of my English. LOL it's funny. I'm no native English speak. It happens to be my third language and I learned it at high school. We don't speak English here you know, and besides I don't really think my English is that bad. Whatever.

If you want, feel free to take this thread a look and give me your opinion.

I know this is the Opeth forum so there are more Opeth fans here than DT fans, but strictly basing it on the 'progressiveness' of bands, which one do you think is more proggy? My message is already on the Petrucci board.

NP: Cynic - Focus

Id say Opeth are more proggy BECAUSE...

They move on with every album, with each one being completely different from the last

Same can be said for DT of course, and I love that band, but a lot of their songs sound pretty similar IMO. I mean, doesn't 'progressive' mean you have to be continually moving forward, trying out new ideas and such (yes, i know disc 1 of SDOIT does that, but still...)?

This is only my opinion, so anyDT heads in here, dont bother flaming me 'cause I dont deserve it!

Saw em live a few weeks ago BTW, holy shit! Drummer had 3 bass drums, amazing stuff by amazing musicians.

My definition of Prog was always doesn't really fit in one genre. Seems to just be a lot more than just one type and is creative and original. However, I've never heard any DT so I can't comment.

Your English however, seems much better than some Americans I know, and that's there only language.

The only full DT album i've ever heard is "Images and words". Actually i think it's crap.

I find Opeth to be more progressive in the sense that they are more creative and experimental...I am a huge Dream Theater fan, but one who concedes that they are prone to displays of self-indulgence (although these excursions are usually highly impressive musically) and are overrated to the point that they take attention away from more visionary bands in the same genre.

Hard to say. They both were pioneers of their kind of music, but they've also continued to play the same sort of thing for 10 years while adding new elements at about the same pace. However, I think Opeth pushes music in more unexplored directions, so they would be my choice.

Totally different styles.

...Plus i've never really agreed with Opeth being called Prog.

They've got long songs, but aside from that complex structure, they are no more progressive than, say, sentenced. Simple riffs and motif's transpersed amoung winding channels of complexity. It's quasi-prog i guess.

Opeth are more about emotion, Dream theater are more of a technical band, impressive technique, but a little lacking in songwriting and vision...

Originally posted by Cynic
Totally different styles.

...Plus i've never really agreed with Opeth being called Prog.

They've got long songs, but aside from that complex structure, they are no more progressive than, say, sentenced. Simple riffs and motif's transpersed amoung winding channels of complexity. It's quasi-prog i guess.

Opeth are more about emotion, Dream theater are more of a technical band, impressive technique, but a little lacking in songwriting and vision...

EXCATLY

Opeth for some reaons has been such a HOT topic on the JP.com forums lately, eh Br00x? i dunno what from... maybe because for a while there everytime the name was even mentioned i would sing such high praises people thought they should check them out, and when they didn't have the most fun possible in the first 5 seconds listening, they decided not to like them, or the exact opposite, and now we have this love/hate thing going on there with no inbetween haha....

...ok so it's prolly not my doing but i can dream

I'd say that DT is more progressive in terms of what the word means today - playing fast, technical, crazy time changes, etc. However, Opeth is more in tune with the roots of what progressive music started out as (70's prog/rock)...

I don't think it's a very good question to be honest, since it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I honestly think Dream Theater are more progressive. I mean Opeth are progressive in a way but they are not classified in the progressive genre. Opeth sure do progress and try new things but it's the real cliched progressive ideas that dream theater has (ie. very long songs and solos, lots of keyboards and metric modulation etc.). I know Opeth has a lot of these elements but I still feel DT are more fully progressive.

I mean to diss Opeth in any way as in the last few months they've become one of my favourite bands.