A pro-war viewpoint (here goes nothing!)

ditches

This Is The Face Of Love
Feb 17, 2003
Visit site
----WARNING: LONG AS A MOTHERFUCKER-----

Advancing a staunch right-wing vantagepoint on a *music forum*. Geez, I'm asking for it.

Much of this is taken from things I've already written, so please excuse anything that doesn't "transition" well. Also excuse the use of "we" in terms of America; try and insert that this comes from the American POV.

There are several planks of any decent pro-war stance. They are...

1. Disarmament.

In order to justify a war to disarm a government, one must be certain that said government is building arms and will in turn use them to attack yourself or an ally. Although the preemptive strike would result in deaths on both sides, it would prevent a full-scale war which would kill vastly more. This is especially true today, where precise bombs can be used rather than massive armies, and where two fully armed armies fighting each other can leave enormous devastation to the environment and to civilian populations. I disagree quite strongly with claims that 500,000 Iraqi civilians will die.

The historical context of preemption is that if France, the UK and other nations used force rather than diplomacy to enforce the Treaty of Versailles, World War II would have been on a much smaller scale and both the holocaust AND much of the Cold War could have been averted.

In terms of proving that Hussein is attempting to arm, there isn't enough space for me to quote all the stuff listed in the bazillions of different sources ranging from the White House to the media to pundits, but let's just say that I think the burden of proof has been met. You don't agree, okay, I really am not qualified to debate the logistics of YOUR personal burden of proof.

In terms of proof that Saddam, once armed to his liking, will use the what he has... get ready...

In 1957, a young Saddam joined the Baath revolutionary party. In 1963 he became an important officer, specializing in torture. He was so skilled at it that soon he gained respect for the passion of his work, and by 1968 he was the #2 man when the Baathists seized power. Over the next eleven years he used his power to crush dissent and take over national industries, including numerous oil fields. In 1979 the head of the party resigned, and Saddam became the ruler. Shortly after he had nearly 500 people of stature in the nation killed because he didn't have enough control over them.

In 1980 he began a war with Iran. Because of America's conflicts with Iran (re: hostages), we supported Saddam. This lasted 8 years, and both sides traded some of the worst biological and chemical weapon attacks ever. Millions died. The Kurds, a northern Iraq minority who didn't support the Baath party, were brutally oppressed and often gassed for any attempts to overthrow Saddam.

With the war on Iran over, and still having an assortment of arms, Saddam decided that Kuwait (and its oil) ought to be a part of Iraq. In the summer of 1990 he invaded, leading to the Gulf War in early 1991. Although he had at the time the 4th largest military in the world, his forces were routed by a full showing of the arms of the free world. His million man army surrendered by the hundreds of thousands rather than rush into pointless slaughter; many of these deserters had their families killed by Saddam's personal agents. During the Gulf War, Iraq launched missiles against Israel in an attempt to incite a more widespread war in the region and thus deflect some of the attention on his invasion; though it was not a successful tactic, this has often been left out of recountings of the war.

Hussein isn't right in the head. It goes deeper than just him being a generic "evil dictator"; he has done torture himself and continues to do so. His life is *defined* by violence and conquest. His next target could be almost anyone, though I don't believe he would try to fight a direct war against the US or Europe.

2. Human rights; the liberation of Iraq.

Iraq would be better off without Hussein and his cronies in power. The ability to better use and distrubute oil revenues and foreign aid would allow the nation to be lifted from dire poverty. Hussein's atrocities are well-documented, no need to go over them for the zillionth time.

Here's the tricky part.

Will Iraq transition from dictatorship to democracy (relatively) peacefully, as happened in most of Eastern Europe and in the former Soviet Union (again, most of it) on its own... no. Why? Because we're dealing with a Muslim nation, and there simply is no historical track record of Muslim rulers either being dethroned in a sudden coup or simply walking away. There is either generations of brutal oppression, or violent civil war *followed* by generations of brutal oppression.

The Ba'ath party will not give up its hold on the lucritive oil fields willingly. The Iraqi populace can't mount an effective civil war, and even if it did there would be a much higher death toll and a much more protracted battle than if the US and its allies were to sweep Hussein out of power. Even then there wouldn't even be a sembalance of a guarantee of democracy and basic human rights.

The most efficient way towards Iraq's liberation is, sadly, through war.

3. The support of terrorists.

Many on the right go out of their way to try and make ties to Al Queda and Iraq. I think there might be a few, but it's not nearly as concrete as funding and support of *other* terrorist groups. Hussein has been shown to be an unapologetic terror funder, and even if that isn't damning enough for you, then the prospect of him having more advanced arms to funnel to terrorists should be.

4. International law.

Simple. If Hussein's *only* consequence for violating the terms of the ceasefire is to have his weapons discovered and destroyed, then it sets a predident that there is no punishment to be had in the following set of events:

-Invade a nation without provocation
-Sign a ceasefire treaty to prevent a forced regime change
-Violate that ceasefire repeatedly by re-arming

The instant Hussein violated the ceasefire he gave up any sembalance of a right to remain as the leader of his nation, just like through the Gulf War he gave up his right to anything but a defensive army.

If we will not punish Saddam Hussein for his actions, there is no reason to believe that other men of a similar mindset won't attempt to use the cowardice of the world as a tool of conquest.

------------------------------------------

Now for a reason not many people present, because it doesn't paint the Cold War policies in a positive light.

5. The US has an obligation to disarm Saddam Hussein, as does any nation who provided him arms in his fight with Iran. Further, since we did not push forward and end his regime during the Gulf War, we owe it to the people of Iraq who heeded George Bush's call and fought Saddam only to wind up being slaughtered. The United States of America has made grave errors in how it has handled Saddam Hussein, and for that reason it is even more important that the US be at the forefront of any fight.

Mistakes were made. They must be remedied.

------------------------------------------

And now to address a number of concerns raised by those who oppose the war.

-The root of terror is poverty and the unequal distribution of wealth.

I'll ignore the knee-jerk "oh nos you stupid commie lol" style of rebutting this, because that seems to be the token response on the 'net (and because it's wrong).

The average Muslim lived in poverty five centuries ago by today's standard, as did the average African, the average Asian, the average European, and the average (insert group here). Today, the average Muslim (and many others) live in poverty, while the average American and European does not.

The prosperity of the wealthy is not the cause of poverty. Rather, factors such as overpopulation, a lack of basic rights and the domination of national resources are more to blame.

Bin Ladin is a wealthy man. Hussein is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They care nothing of poverty, and are driven by a mix of egotism and religious fanaticism. Without wealthy patrons and the support of willing governments and religious leaders there would be no terrorism.

Men like Hussein are the root of both terrorism AND poverty. Such men must be removed from power.

-Bombing Iraq into the stone age won't help it

One only need look at what happened to the civilian populations of Germany and Japan towards the end of World War II to see the damage that even a justified war can do.

This isn't 1945. It isn't 1975. It's 2003. There is no firebombing or nuclear warhead in battle plans, nor is there Agent Orange. Systematic, fast, precise assaults on military targets are able to minimize death and destruction.

Further, Iraq would benefit immensely from a reduction of poverty (no more sanctions and lots o' aid) and a healthy injection of fundamental rights. The war might be hell, but the living conditions now aren't much worse. A necessary evil.

-It'll be another Vietnam

The Vietnam quagmire was caused by a number of factors, but the most basic are: 1. An unwillingness to move to offense and push the communists back to China. 2. The densely wooded terrain. 3. China's steady stream of military aid down the Ho Chi Minh trail.

None of those factors are present today, as evidenced by the squash that was the Gulf War.

-We need the UN

Conflict with the UN has more to do with a pissing contest between the US and France than it does with a US attempt to skirt the UN.

Let's try this. Either a war to enact regime change in Iraq is necessary and justified, or it isn't. At what point does the UN enter in to that equation?

-What about North Korea?

North Korea has armed itself; it's too late. This is exactly why Hussein must be dealt with before we lose track of what he's capable of.

-What about the economy?

Yes, wars cost money. Is the implication that all moralistic considerations bow down before the almighty dollar (euro)? Once again, war is either justified or it isn't; a 'cost-efficient' war will probably be one in which Iraqi citizens pay the heaviest price of all.

-This is the United States' "war on terror", my nation didn't sign on.

Fine, just get out of the way :)

-Let the inspections work!

With what goal? We already know the evidence, and that not everything has been found. Even if Saddam is disarmed (a BIG fucking 'if'), will we keep an inspection team running around Iraq indefinitely? And if it takes inspectors to find all the weapons rather than voluntary admissions, what consequence will that bring to Hussein for stonewalling? Will he still be cooperative without over 300,000 US troops and a hell-bent Dubya banging on the door?

-Must wait for imminent threat.

This assumes that the world will know when that happens. History shows that sneak attacks are the deadliest.

-Bush is evil/America is imperialist/it's all about oil

:err:

These are distractions, but I suppose the need to be addressed to satisfy some.

Bush's "motivations" are largely manufactured. If it was about oil, we'd get it most efficiently from Saddam. If it was about revenge, the war would already be over. If the US had an empire, you'd be able to list all the land that has been conquered or subjugated in the last, oh, century (and have there BE SOMETHING ON THE LIST).

-It will encourage terror!

Then it's impossible to seek to wipe out the terror network. The terrorists and their supporters must be dealt with

More importantly, the assumption is that there are terror groups currently waiting to spring into action, and people who will go to arms to protect Saddam. Well, Bin Ladin is a much bigger figure in the world of terror. Assaulting his men and the government which supported him didn't lead to anything more complex than a couple car bombs, which AGAIN assumes that things like Bali wouldn't have happened anyway.

-No war, ever!

Then what's your solution, and how is it preferable to what is backed by the Bush/Blair team?

And I'm spent.

No one takes issue that Saddam needs to be removed from power, but in my opinion he is contained, as evidenced by the 300,000 troops surrounding his country if nothing else. His only course of action, and the one I think he will stick to, is continued playing of the diplomatic game, any military action on his part will of course squander any and all anti-war sentiments. So, how do I propose we remove a man so clearly a burden on his people? Essentially, we win the staring contest. The most decisive victory in my opinion would be to keep the diplomatic pressure on until he slithers away. The United States is in a position of overwhelming strength, because of that we have the choice to avoid war. One might naturally comment, “After all these years, its clear Saddam will never back down.” I’d again point out that it isn’t every day that he’s had 300,000 enemy troops on his borders. Those for the war continually comment that Saddam cannot be allotted more time, but I wonder if this “staring contest” isn’t already having a great impact on the morale of his army. Faced with complete destruction, I’d have to imagine there is at least a chance of a coup. The fact is, we’re currently disarming Saddam, we are spurring neighboring countries to become involved in stability like never before, the world community is implementing intense inspections and diplomacy, we are making a difference.

I’ve also managed to single out a few of your comments to take issue with. ;)

The historical context of preemption is that if France, the UK and other nations used force rather than diplomacy to enforce the Treaty of Versailles, World War II would have been on a much smaller scale and both the holocaust AND much of the Cold War could have been averted.

You simply cannot equate the threat Hitler posed to the threat Saddam currently poses.

North Korea has armed itself; it's too late. This is exactly why Hussein must be dealt with before we lose track of what he's capable of.

Keep our main focus on the lesser threat? Great plan. :rolleyes:

You provide me with a line of reasoning which, taken together, I haven't seen before. The thread is a success! Debate has been furthered! More excuses to post my sig!

*ahem*

It being 7:47 AM and me needing sleep, I'll save a rebuttal for later. Thanks for providing something worth rebutting in detail!

You’re welcome, but no need for a rebuttal, I’ve already refuted it.
eek.gif

;)

Soul4Raziel said:
The most decisive victory in my opinion would be to keep the diplomatic pressure on until he slithers away.

So you're saying going an indecisive half-way is the best way? Maybe, but we can't perpetually pussyfoot around. That kind of game has a time limit. And then we're back to where we started from, probably in a worse position.

Great post, ditches. I'd love to see more people reply.

so, you actually think Saddam would be able to re-arm Iraq and actually pose a significant threat if a war wasn't made on him? come on, this is laughable...

a war would make much more sense if only the US tried to bring down Sharon instead of Hussein. still, by these means, terrorism is more likely to increase rather than decrease. a very obvious consequence.

O'blivion said:
my solution is to disarm america.

Awww, isn't that cute?

Now for Raziel!

1. Containment at best destroys what Saddam has currently. It doesn't destroy scientific knowledge, Saddam's personal wealth and aspirations, and thus does not prevent future re-armament. When we leave Saddam with a *worst-case scenario* of having the weapons be destroyed, there's no reason for him NOT to try and create as much as possible and hide it in various locations around the country. This leads to 2 points I've already brought up.

-Saddam must be punished to re-affirm the legitimacy of international law.

-If we're convinced that Saddam is an untrustworthy bastard, then we assume he WILL try to re-arm in the future. Does this mean we keep inspectors there indefinitely? And if he stops cooperating like he does every single time he lacks hundreds of thousands of troops at his border, must the US/UK forces then once again trod out to sit on their thumbs? And what if those forces are occupied elsewhere?

I just don't think containment is anywhere near the guarantee of safety that removing Ba'ath is.

2. You mention Iraq deposing Saddam on its own. Given that the alternative is most likely going to be someone from the *military* taking power, I doubt very much that such a scenario leads to Iraq's liberation and a long-term peace in the region. Also you mentioned troop morale, but the average Iraqi footsoldier is just cannon fodder to run out and keep US troops busy dealing with mass surrenders.

Further, Saddam has put in power those who are most loyal and like-minded, and whom he can control most effectively. That's the name of the game to him: control. He's had 20 years to solidify his leadership status, and to make sure that his plans continue should someone insert a bullet in his skull.

3. "Any war on his part squanders anti-war sentiments"

Sorry, but the peace protestors were against the allies during the Gulf War. They'd do the same if another war broke out even if it was directly started by Saddam.

What's more, since Saddam will not be able to reclaim Iraq's status as the 4th largest military in the world (it was in 1990) through convenional things like tanks and assault helicopters and naval ships, he's forced to boost his power through WMD. Which means that rather than invading a nation, he'd simply wipe out the populace. He tried his best to do that to Iran, and with more potent weapons he could do the same to any number of nations in the region.

He won't attack unless he thinks he can win, and with WMD involved we're talking a lot more casualties than Kuwait suffered. That's why allowing him to arm isn't an option.

4. There's still the human rights and terrorism aspects, neither of which is addressed by containment.

Onto the smaller points.

"You simply cannot equate the threat Hitler posed to the threat Saddam currently poses"

No, but I'll equate the situations. A dictator with a warped world view and a penchant for conquest is seeking to arm himself illegaly after his nation lost a land war. France would rather coddle than enforce. The US is led by a crippled president (FDR's legs, Dubya's tongue).

"Keep our main focus on the lesser threat? Great plan"

Containment is a much better option because North Korea has any number of WMD, and going to war with the world's 3rd largest military isn't going to be easy. In addition, there's even less of a coalition to fight North Korea simply because the Korean war was so long ago, where the Gulf War hasn't really ended.

With a heavily guarded border on the south, China to the north, and Japan able to produce any number of high-tech weapons should it get pissed off, North Korea has nothing to gain from conflict. Compare this to Iraq, which is surrounded by military and economic weaklings.

Blood and Fat said:
a war would make much more sense if only the US tried to bring down Sharon instead of Hussein. still, by these means, terrorism is more likely to increase rather than decrease. a very obvious consequence

has it crossed your mind who's to blame over the entire situation?

I deal with both these points in my original post.

And yes, Saddam isn't the only party at fault. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be disarmed.

Xtokalon said:
So you're saying going an indecisive half-way is the best way? Maybe, but we can't perpetually pussyfoot around. That kind of game has a time limit. And then we're back to where we started from, probably in a worse position.

Exactly how are we pussyfooting? Simply because we haven’t started blowing up Baghdad? We have hundreds of thousands of troops in the region, and hundreds of inspectors at work. The entire world’s radar is on Saddam, he is not an immediate threat.

you're praising a side-effect of our current motives to go to war. it can't go on indefinitely and it's not secure anyway. see ditches post.

ditches :wave:

Containment at best destroys what Saddam has currently. It doesn't destroy scientific knowledge, Saddam's personal wealth and aspirations, and thus does not prevent future re-armament. When we leave Saddam with a *worst-case scenario* of having the weapons be destroyed, there's no reason for him NOT to try and create as much as possible and hide it in various locations around the country. This leads to 2 points I've already brought up.

-Saddam must be punished to re-affirm the legitimacy of international law.

-If we're convinced that Saddam is an untrustworthy bastard, then we assume he WILL try to re-arm in the future. Does this mean we keep inspectors there indefinitely? And if he stops cooperating like he does every single time he lacks hundreds of thousands of troops at his border, must the US/UK forces then once again trod out to sit on their thumbs? And what if those forces are occupied elsewhere?
I just don't think containment is anywhere near the guarantee of safety that removing Ba'ath is.

I'm not for containment; I'm for "regime change," but by continued disarmament and military presence.

You mention Iraq deposing Saddam on its own. Given that the alternative is most likely going to be someone from the *military* taking power, I doubt very much that such a scenario leads to Iraq's liberation and a long-term peace in the region.

Perhaps if we get Saddam into exile we make his goons go with him. ;)

Also you mentioned troop morale, but the average Iraqi footsoldier is just cannon fodder to run out and keep US troops busy dealing with mass surrenders.

This time a full scale invasion is planned, circumstances are different, mass surrenders won't have a desired effect.

Further, Saddam has put in power those who are most loyal and like-minded, and whom he can control most effectively. That's the name of the game to him: control. He's had 20 years to solidify his leadership status, and to make sure that his plans continue should someone insert a bullet in his skull.

But there's never been this amount of pressure on his regime, you have to at least accept it has the potential to crack.

Sorry, but the peace protestors were against the allies during the Gulf War. They'd do the same if another war broke out even if it was directly started by Saddam.

I'm speaking in the broader sense, i.e. France wouldn't be vetoing any resolutions.

What's more, since Saddam will not be able to reclaim Iraq's status as the 4th largest military in the world (it was in 1990) through convenional things like tanks and assault helicopters and naval ships, he's forced to boost his power through WMD. Which means that rather than invading a nation, he'd simply wipe out the populace. He tried his best to do that to Iran, and with more potent weapons he could do the same to any number of nations in the region.

He won't attack unless he thinks he can win, and with WMD involved we're talking a lot more casualties than Kuwait suffered. That's why allowing him to arm isn't an option.

Clearly. If it came to this, we wouldn't be having this debate, war would be justified.

4. There's still the human rights and terrorism aspects, neither of which is addressed by containment.

Would you say then that war and occupation does address these concerns?! I think not.

No, but I'll equate the situations. A dictator with a warped world view and a penchant for conquest is seeking to arm himself illegaly after his nation lost a land war. France would rather coddle than enforce. The US is led by a crippled president (FDR's legs, Dubya's tongue).

Analogies are called so for a reason. Point of order, Kim Jong is armed with nuclear weapons.

Containment is a much better option because North Korea has any number of WMD, and going to war with the world's 3rd largest military isn't going to be easy. In addition, there's even less of a coalition to fight North Korea simply because the Korean war was so long ago, where the Gulf War hasn't really ended.
With a heavily guarded border on the south, China to the north, and Japan able to produce any number of high-tech weapons should it get pissed off, North Korea has nothing to gain from conflict. Compare this to Iraq, which is surrounded by military and economic weaklings.

Sounds like a half-way decent plan to me, it would be nice if the Bush administration paid it proper credence.

In conclusion, hehe, it is far cheaper in every sense to wait him out, and utterly humiliate his regime. I believe world opinion shows that allowing inspections to continue and keeping military pressure will end in a consensus, and perhaps peacekeeping forces occupying the country and rebuilding the tatered economy, not merely the United States.

I'm not for containment; I'm for "regime change," but by continued disarmament and military presence.

Why not make Iraq the 51st State?

Saddam will only disarm to the extent that he allows. He's not going to strip himself naked, nor will we know, without use of force, how much of his arms he's actually dismantled.

Xtokalon said:
Why not make Iraq the 51st State?

"regime change," I was merely using Bush rhetoric in jest.

Saddam will only disarm to the extent that he allows. He's not going to strip himself naked, nor will we know, without use of force, how much of his arms he's actually dismantled.

With the scrutinous world eye on him and his country surrounded I don't fear his actions, and await is removal. But since it appears war is eminent, let me state once again that it will be great to see Saddam gone, but that's the only positive I can see coming from this war.

Soul4Raziel said:
"regime change," I was merely using Bush rhetoric in jest.

But you're advocating that we (perpetually) babysit the country. Might as well make Iraq a state. I don't see anything "mere" or "rhetorical" in that.

With the scrutinous world eye on him and his country surrounded I don't fear his actions, and await is removal. But since it appears war is eminent, let me state once again that it will be great to see Saddam gone, but that's the only positive I can see coming from this war.

"Await his removal"? How? And what do you think this war is for? It's not like Saddam is thinking about packing his bags because the UN is now scrutinizing him. Needless to state, if Saddam's leaving were an option this war issue would be non-sequitir. So what are you talking about?

Xtokalon said:
"Await his removal"? How? And what do you think this war is for? It's not like Saddam is thinking about packing his bags because the UN is now scrutinizing him. Needless to state, if Saddam's leaving were an option this war issue would be non-sequitir. So what are you talking about?
I already stated that I'd prefer peacekeeping or UN forces to remove Saddam once he is disarmed.

Soul4Raziel said:
I already stated that I'd prefer peacekeeping or UN forces to remove Saddam once he is disarmed.
???? What nonsense. That's the same as war. It would neccesitate it. Mind you, I've been stating the obvious here. I don't know where your head is at.