A pro-war viewpoint (here goes nothing!)

Xtokalon said:
???? What nonsense. That's the same as war. It would neccesitate it. Mind you, I've been stating the obvious here. I don't know where your head is at.

Just looking for more world support.

I've decided to conclude my thoughts on the matter rather than let it end on a one sentence response on my part.

We should preemptively attack a nation that poses no real threat because a side effect is that a bad man will get his comeuppance? The war isn't just, just because it has a good side effect. The war might however be just if Iraq was being attacked because of its human rights violations. ie. Kosovo.

Soul4Raziel said:
We should preemptively attack a nation that poses no real threat because a side effect is that a bad man will get his comeuppance? The war isn't just, just because it has a good side effect. The war might however be just if Iraq was being attacked because of its human rights violations. ie. Kosovo.

You're presupposing not only that a fully-armed Saddam (which is likely if he remains in power indefinitely) isn't a threat, that he wouldn't use "alternative" delivery systems to take shots at the US, that his terror ties and support aren't a threat, etc.

Why can't the war be justified based on threat AND human rights? I say there's more than enough of both.

ditches said:
You're presupposing not only that a fully-armed Saddam (which is likely if he remains in power indefinitely) isn't a threat, that he wouldn't use "alternative" delivery systems to take shots at the US, that his terror ties and support aren't a threat, etc.

He isn't fully-armed, he is currently being disarmed. I don't see him as currently being a threat to the United States, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Why can't the war be justified based on threat AND human rights? I say there's more than enough of both.

The Bush administration isn't focusing on the human rights violations! They're busy ignoring the real nuclear threat in North Korea (and now perhaps Iran) and also trying to link Saddam to 9/11.

yooo hoooo! there are actually intelligent people who debate! maybe there's a hope for the world after all ;)

The question is: why did saddam 'suddenly' become a threat? The bastards been in power since decades, the gulf war is over since 1991.

Not to mention that he was the USAs main ally in the gulf region in the 1980s before he became bush's version of the antichrist.

ditches said:
----WARNING: LONG AS A MOTHERFUCKER-----

2. Human rights; the liberation of Iraq.

Iraq would be better off without Hussein and his cronies in power. The ability to better use and distrubute oil revenues and foreign aid would allow the nation to be lifted from dire poverty. Hussein's atrocities are well-documented, no need to go over them for the zillionth time.

Distribute oil?

There's a good reason why we're going to war... get Iraqi oil.
http://www.greenpartyus.org/committees/intl/ExxonMobil.htm

Reactions: midwintertears