A question for those in bands...

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Hi guys,

I'm always looking for ways to help bands get noticed, and to succeed (in whatever way they consider 'success' to be).

So, I'm wondering if you can let me know - what are the obstacles you find put in your way as a band?

Is it finding venues to play?

Finding new members?

Getting people to hear your music?

Getting people to BUY your music?

All input is welcome!!! Thanks.

Mark

I think what's sometime really difficult is to make the people judge your music by it's sound and not by how you look or how cool you are to them. And that sucks.

It's hard to get people to come to your show if you aren't very well known. Even when you pass out flyers and crap people still won't go because they've never heard of you. I guess finding a way for people to actually buy your stuff is hard too.

Start with battles of the Bands, make your own, find bands to play with you, and Be Happy :) lol, I pretty Well known now that I've gotten in a solid Band :) (its been 2 weeks and already doing gigs!)

Get into as many Battles, thats all I can say.. cuz there you can find other people, Bands memebers, Most of all, PLAY YOUR FUCKIN BADASS MUSIC!

Where I live it is hard to:
-Find people who are into metal
-Find people who can actually play their instrument well
-Find a place where the band can all jam

Obviously havent been able to get people to listen and buy stuff when these other obstacles are in the way... :(

I'll agree with an earlier post, my biggest problem is finding good band members in the middle of nowhere, Indiana.
Some of my friends here are in a band, and kids will come to the local club or Eagle's post or AL, just because they have nothing better to do that evening. They seem to have no trouble getting their name out there....too bad they suck :D

My problem is finding drummers who are willing to play something other than Korn and Slipknot< bass players too. My friend Ruben has opened up a venue downtown so it would be nice to go jam there but I cant find any true metal drummers and bass players. I also dont have any contacts with anyone who can help me and im pretty much now just a solo, demo, 4 track guy who plays for himself. I have a singer and another guitar player who are tremendous help and fun to jam with. I guess my idea of sucess would be to put out a demo and circulate it independently and get a good word of mouth about it going, and find a damn drummer and bass player.

MrMajs said:
My problem is to find gigs to play. In 1 year we had like 5 gigs or something. And only 2 of them had a cool crowd.
Gothenburg doesn't seem to HAVE anywhere to play in my (very little) experience. There's crap like Meeths which is completely drug free and an age limit at 16. Now how many people wants to go out on a saturday night for the sole purpose of seeing a small band they've never heard of? Only people who are already fans or friends of the band would go to such places, there is zero potential to attract new listeners here. The kids can't go there, and the bigger kids can't get wasted. What's the point?

But then the problem with finding band members here is much smaller than it would probably be in the middle of Idaho I'm sure.

finding venues is the hardest because if you're not well known yet, you really can't get a show. Plus, there is only one all ages venue in my city we aren't banned from (we're too extreme).

The biggest problem for my band is getting people to listen to the music. You can put the word out as much as you want but there are SO MANY BANDS out there, its just information overkill. We're fortunate enough to have a band where everyone is dedicated, skilled, and knowlegeable in songwriting. If we could only differentiate ourselves from the 999,999,999 other bands out there...

Finding good members, definitely. Especially around here, everyone here worships slipknot as the ultimate metal :confused:

Ive been in two bands that have failed by the way