A rift between CoB and Dream Theater?

NGC 3370 said:
:D You crack me up even saying that. Hatebreeder was a great album granted but COB are little girly men compared to Dream Theater and their music doesn't come close to DT in technique and style.
Prepares to bob and weave because I dare to post something positive about DT on a nintendo metal board.
Seriously though COB is a cool band so relax. :wave:
I forgot that technicality determines how good the music is :rolleyes:

Lanterns said:
"Super Lame" -I've gotta say, sorry Allu, but that was not the best choice of words.;)
However, I do perfectly understand what he means: it's the typical Prog Problem. DreamTheater as well as other progressive-metal bands are really masters at playing their instruments, in fact they're almost perfect technically -BUT: They lack something. The catchy element in the music, the rock'n'roll element on stage. So the whole thing gets pretty boring after a while (and might even appear "soulless" at times).
That's true. The music itself is often forgotten by prog metal bands, and it's like "hey look, we are the best instrument players in the world". Symphony X and Opeth, for example, are clear exceptions in this "rule".

Pohjatuuli said:
That's true. The music itself is often forgotten by prog metal bands, and it's like "hey look, we are the best instrument players in the world". Symphony X and Opeth, for example, are clear exceptions in this "rule".
True, but Symphony X actually writes some nice songs

-Gavin- said:
Too late... They released Hatebreeder in 99.... Bitch.

I must say, that I'm not too active on this forum, and very rarely reply to things, but this, I have to reply to.

I am a fan of both DT and CoB, but I must say that comparing SFAM to Hatebreeder, is wrong. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, and it is purely subjective whether you prefer Hatebreedar over SFAM or not, but in my opinion, DT writes better music than Bodom, at least when it comes to comparing those two albums. Scenes from a memory, is a true masterpiece, it contains everything, extremely difficult music, technically, and also a great composision when it comes to all the songs, the shrink 'n' grow thing on fatal tragedy, all the odd time signatures throughout the album, especially in The Dance of Eternity, and so on.

Even though Bodom (or at least alexi, as their main songwriter) is great at writing songs, and I truely love the album, almost as much as I love Scenes From a Memory, but I do feel that it isn't quite as good. This I base on the fact that Hatebreeder contains a lot of great songs, like Slient night, bodom night, bed of razors, warheart, downfall and so on. But, I do feel that all the songs show more similarity than the songs from SFAM, where you have slow relaxing songs like Through Her Eyes and One Last Time, but also fast or heavy songs like Beyond This Life, Dance of Eternity, Home etc.

So to summarize everything, I do feel that even though Hatebreeder is such a great album, Scenes From a Memory is such a brilliant album, that it even is above the high standars Hatebreeder set in '99. The songs, are great in both albums, but the DT thing, making it a concept album where all lyrics throughout the story tells the story, while the music do it's job, is just so great that I don't see Bodom managing to do anything like it. But then again, this is just my opinion, please, do tell me your opinion on this matter.

thanks :) they are not like any band I've heard. I love the acoustic in ''A Change Of Seasons'' but I have to say that ''The Dance of Eternity'' is more catchy.. love the guitar solo :cool:

Lake_Laiho said:
thanks :) they are not like any band I've heard. I love the acoustic in ''A Change Of Seasons'' but I have to say that ''The Dance of Eternity'' is more catchy.. love the guitar solo :cool:

Yeah, I agree, but try playing it on keyboards in a band, you'll go nuts trying to count all the beats for the time signatures, I have to have a chart just like the one Portnoy has on the drums lesson video to get it right, well, at least during some parts. But it's really a great song though. I'm not saying that Bodom suck or anything if some of you guys think so, it's just that when choosing between Hatebreeder and Scenes From a Memory, I prefer SFAM. But there are a lot of things that DT has written that I don't fancy that much, and same thing with Bodom.

Marshall said:
I must say, that I'm not too active on this forum, and very rarely reply to things, but this, I have to reply to.

I am a fan of both DT and CoB, but I must say that comparing SFAM to Hatebreeder, is wrong. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, and it is purely subjective whether you prefer Hatebreedar over SFAM or not, but in my opinion, DT writes better music than Bodom, at least when it comes to comparing those two albums. Scenes from a memory, is a true masterpiece, it contains everything, extremely difficult music, technically, and also a great composision when it comes to all the songs, the shrink 'n' grow thing on fatal tragedy, all the odd time signatures throughout the album, especially in The Dance of Eternity, and so on.

Even though Bodom (or at least alexi, as their main songwriter) is great at writing songs, and I truely love the album, almost as much as I love Scenes From a Memory, but I do feel that it isn't quite as good. This I base on the fact that Hatebreeder contains a lot of great songs, like Slient night, bodom night, bed of razors, warheart, downfall and so on. But, I do feel that all the songs show more similarity than the songs from SFAM, where you have slow relaxing songs like Through Her Eyes and One Last Time, but also fast or heavy songs like Beyond This Life, Dance of Eternity, Home etc.

So to summarize everything, I do feel that even though Hatebreeder is such a great album, Scenes From a Memory is such a brilliant album, that it even is above the high standars Hatebreeder set in '99. The songs, are great in both albums, but the DT thing, making it a concept album where all lyrics throughout the story tells the story, while the music do it's job, is just so great that I don't see Bodom managing to do anything like it. But then again, this is just my opinion, please, do tell me your opinion on this matter.

Dude, shut the fuck up.. it was a joke.

And if we're getting technical...

Angra - Temple of Shadows owns ANYTHING petrucci has ever put out.

I dont even see how these two bands are even being compared...Just because they both have a keyboard player and distorted guitars? Comparing these two bands is stupid and those people who wanna say that DT is better than CoB are idiots. When your in a band you choose the kind of music you're gonna play. You dont think Alexi could put together a DT style song with weird time signatures and all that show-off BS? I sure as hell think he could but he chooses not to because he doesnt like DT and that style of metal. Just because your band isnt the most technical doesnt mean you suck. And no I'm not siding with Alexi or CoB...I just think its a pointless comparison. End of story.

-Gavin- said:
Dude, shut the fuck up.. it was a joke.

And if we're getting technical...

Angra - Temple of Shadows owns ANYTHING petrucci has ever put out.

I never said that it was the best music ever technically, I just said that they played extremely difficult music. What is a joke, in my opinion is you Gavin, just telling me to shut up, like you alwalys do when people disagree with you. I think that's just childish. If you want to tell me your opinion and everything, great, but instead, you just start like this... Pathetic in my opinion.

Nah, my hatebreeder comment was a joke... signified by the "...bitch!" at the end...

You however, wrote an essay explaining how i was wrong.

I find it quite hard to tell whether you are joking or not these days, as it always seems you tell everybody to shut up, how noob they are and so on, really makes this forum a great place to be... I gotta admit, you do have a great sense of humor, but you don't need to act the way you do, in my opinion of course. But hey, I'm sure you'll reply with plenty of insults and everything, but I don't really care that much...

Pohjatuuli said:
AEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhaeAEAEUHAEUHEAUHEAUHuEAHuEAHUhEAUhEAUhEAUHEUAHUEAhuEAhuEAHuEAHueAHueAHuEHAUHEAUHEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUhEAUheAUhUhEAUheauheauheauheauhaeuhae³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³³

Marshall said:
I find it quite hard to tell whether you are joking or not these days, as it always seems you tell everybody to shut up, how noob they are and so on, really makes this forum a great place to be... I gotta admit, you do have a great sense of humor, but you don't need to act the way you do, in my opinion of course. But hey, I'm sure you'll reply with plenty of insults and everything, but I don't really care that much...

Dude, in future just presume i'm joking unless i follow it up with "and i'm being fucking serious" or something :lol:

C'mon Lars! I don't wanna see any Jackie Chan bollocks! I want some windmilling in! :loco: