A Room with a View

Dispossession said:
R.O.O.M.W.I.T.H.A.V.I.E.W. - holy mother of doG, where did you find that name?

Well, I suppose you don't like it...

Sincerely when we choosed the name there was no intentional will to mention the famous novel by E.M.Forster, that inspired the same titled movie. But what's so strange about it is that this story of a young girl's choice between propriety and love, her fight against social conventions and standards, her relationship to her music, the idea that travel (to Italy!) can be a life-altering experience... All these themes have very much in common with our band! The novel shows us a young woman, Lucy Honeychurch, who is about to marry the wrong man - not because of her passion, but because of her lack of thought. Only think about your passion, the movie argues, and you will do the right thing. In the opening scenes of the movie, Lucy has been given a room in the Italian pensione that does not have a view. By the end of the film, George Emerson, the man to break her chains, to say what he thinks, to free Lucy's spirit, will have offered Lucy a view out of the room of her own life...

We were born in 1999 as a duo, with the name of Black Thorns Lodge (quite banal, don't you think?), and have released a promo during 2000, that allowed us to get relatively big consents both of public and critics... but we felt that the music we played and also our monicker were not so personal and original as we would have wanted them to be. Everyone was saying that we were "the Italian Katatonia", and we surely didn't want to be remembered as a clone band. So the change of our monicker in the less stereotyped ROOM WITH A VIEW has the symbolic meaning of a rebirth for us: we have felt the need to escape from the suffocating monoliticity of our past to open on new and stimulating horizons... Room with a View. I like to think about a dynamic view, something like an emotional kaleidoscope.

www.clubepoque.cjb.net

Don't listen to him CafeNoir, i dig it, it shows thought went into it, and that it definitely is rooted in some deeper meaning
This is by no means a criticism but I have a distinct feeling that you guys are struggling with English Pronunciation (much like Novembre) which comes through in the vocals, do you find that when you sing in your natural tongue, that you sound more confident vocally?
Aside from that I really like the dual vocals that are used and the range is good.
The production of the album is quite good to!!

I can't wait to give it another spin

just out of curiosity, what bands influence you?

Schism said:
Don't listen to him CafeNoir, i dig it, it shows thought went into it, and that it definitely is rooted in some deeper meaning
This is by no means a criticism but I have a distinct feeling that you guys are struggling with English Pronunciation (much like Novembre) which comes through in the vocals, do you find that when you sing in your natural tongue, that you sound more confident vocally?
Aside from that I really like the dual vocals that are used and the range is good.
The production of the album is quite good to!!

I can't wait to give it another spin

just out of curiosity, what bands influence you?

Don't worry, I accept it well that there's people who don't like our music... if I didn't accept it well my life would be pure hell...
...We are the first ones who aren't ever fully satisfied with our music!

As regards English pronunciation: I simply write my lyrics in English because I feel that it's easier to write in a language that isn't yours. You’re more sheltered, more protected. If I were to write in Italian, I would be completely myself, completely naked. Writing in a language that is not my native language just gives me the idea of being less vulnerable...

Do you think that when I sing in my natural tongue I sound more confident vocally? Well, sincerely I don't consider myself a singer, nor in English neither in Italian.
That's the reason why I am currently searching for a "real" singer, since I am not 100% convinced of carrying on singing... Possibly I would like to dedicate myself completely to guitar playing and composition, that has always been my real passion.
In fact as I was saying I don't consider myself a singer, and if I have sung on our album it was just because of a pure coincidence. Let's say that it was because of the impossibility to set out to search also for a singer, when only one month before we were supposed to enter the studios we still had no rythmical session at all! So in the studios I had my absolute first approach to microphone: actually I haven't ever had the chance to test my vocal chords in a rehearsal room... It was all - harmonizations included - only in my mind...
Of course I'm aware of having a quite particular and potentially interesting vocal timbre, but I'm also aware of the fact that if we were to find a full time singer (or if I had the chance to dedicate myself 100% to voice study, without the need to divide myself with the guitar player role) we really would make a big step in quality.

Our musical influences? We consider ourselves quite open minded. We definitely like all kinds of music capable of conveying big emotions and feelings… we are totally in love with 80s wave melodic taste (Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, Talk Talk, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears), as well as we love the cold melancholy of Scandinavian bands like Katatonia (of course!) and Beyond Dawn. We also like a lot the dynamic freshness of US emo bands like Thursday, Elliot, Sunny Day Real Estate, Cave In and Further Seems Forever. In “First Year Departure” we have showed all our love for old nursery rhymes, European folk music, circus atmospheres, free jazz and forgotten melodies. Maybe someone will say we have exaggerated and it's true. But sometimes life, too, does exaggerate.

www.clubepoque.cjb.net

Wow, I think that 80's vibe is prominent in the album, as well as Elliot (which I have been checking out lately) I love the unique sounds that you have incorporated into the album, the period concept is quite unique, I look forward to sitting down with the album again!
Good Luck finding a vocalist :)
Have you guys toured with Novembre, or do you associate with them at all?

CafeNoir said:
For the ones who are curious to know more about us: you can check our official page at http://www.clubepoque.cjb.net (where you can find two samples from out debut album "First Year Departure", and a full track from the Black Thorns Lodge - our past monicker - demo).
You can also find a full track from our debut album at http://www.mp3.com/room_with_a_view

That's all folks, thanks a lot for your interest and support!

I listened to it and really liked. Nice vocals too..
What's Budapest song about? (saw on website) I'm from Budapest.. :)

hey dispossession, i don't like your prejudices about italian music...

anyway, there's another good band i would like to search for, called KLIMT 1918

and also, since you ask where that room with a view name comes from, try reading the lyrics of porcupine tree's song "fade away", from the up the downstairs album...

if you don't know ptree, well, you should...

hey dora...

i just read you're from budapest... ME TOO!!!

ehm... just kidding... anyway, on their last album "remedy lane", pain of salvation built up a concept where they often talk about budapest... maybe you just knew that, but who knows...

To Schism - Thanks a lot, I'm happy that you like the whole 'vintage' concept behind our debut album. And I'm also happy that you like Elliot: their "False Cathedrals" is one of my favourite albums. What do you think about their last "Song in the Air"?
As regards Novembre, they are friends of ours (you know, we live in the same city!) but we haven't ever had the chance to play live together until now ...it would be great, because I really love their music... "Arte Novecento" is a pure masterpiece, and it has given me a lot of musical and lyrical inspiration.

To Dora - Sorry, but I think I'm not the right person to answer to your question: you should ask Alessandro, my bandmate, because he wrote that song, lyrics included. It has been written in a very little time: it was actually been composed just the day before entering the studio! But we thought it was quite cool and deserved to be on the album. With its nervous rythms it's one of the more dynamic and aggressive songs of the whole "First Year Departure". Why Budapest? I think it all has started from Alessandro's fascination with this East European city, actually one of the most culturally interesting ones, between gipsy imagination and country reality (or at least that's the way we like to imagine it, since unfortunately we haven't ever had the chance to visit it yet!)

To opethpainter (ciao! anche tu italiano?) - Well said, Klimt 1918 is a really great band (and we are also labelmates :) ), I suggest it to all of you! www.mykingdommusic.net

room with a view
www.clubepoque.cjb.net

Dora said:
Gypsys are not Hungarian!!!!! (and some say not even people..)

Well, of course Gypsys are not Hungarian (they seem to be the descendants of the ancient warrior classes of Northern India, particularly the Punjab), but you can't deny that in Hungary, as well as in Romania and in Spain, the roma people had a important role in the development of folk music! I like a lot Hungarian national and popular music, I find it very intense, as the the gentlest of spasms, as agonizing suavity, as voluptuous pain... We had this idea of being in one of those night taverns of Budapest, when the Tzigane band madly strikes up a patriotic song, or tearfully sighs out a popular elegy... that's what "Budapest Song" is about, the nostalgia for something that maybe we will never be able to live...

I dont see any big similarities between our and their folk music, and frankly this kind of comparing is very disturbing as the roma people are not like in movies, kind of romantic guys like in Snatch, but they are mostly criminals, thieves, people who dont work and dont bath neither. In Hungary they are nothing more than a shameful problem.
And to resolve any other doubts: we dont eat raw meat, dont ride horse backwards and we do use electricity. :)

Dora said:
I dont see any big similarities between our and their folk music, and frankly this kind of comparing is very disturbing as the roma people are not like in movies, kind of romantic guys like in Snatch, but they are mostly criminals, thieves, people who dont work and dont bath neither. In Hungary they are nothing more than a shameful problem.
And to resolve any other doubts: we dont eat raw meat, dont ride horse backwards and we do use electricity. :)

Sorry if you have found my words 'disturbing', I really didn't want to offend anyone. Probably there has been a misunderstanding.
I agree with you that it's time to look beyond the stereotypes of roma people being romantic wanderers or fortunetellers with colorful dresses. But I think it's also time to look beyond misinformation, misconception and erroneous stereotype that depict roma people as being 'mostly criminals'...
By the way it's a long time since i have the inner desire of travelling trough Eastern Europe... When I'll manage to do it (...this summer?) you have to suggest me some cool places to visit in Budapest! ;)

room with a view
www.clubepoque.cjb.net

Hooooo!

Yeah! ROOM WITH A VIEW are greeeeeeat!!

Greetings to "Falling Bird" , "Philipmartin" and "CafeNoir" !
Great to see you guys posting here :))

See you in the Tonights Music chat :)

Andy