Can someone help me with these bands?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I've read & heard many great reviews concerning the following bands & CDs. Can anyone here offer an opinion(s) on any of these? Are they worth investing in?

Nightingale - Still Alive
(I've heard that this is a great melodic album, but the samples I've heard remind me more of 80s cheese-hair metal?!??!)

Thine - In Therapy
(I've read a review that stated that this album is quite similar to Anathema's "Judgement")

Star of Ash
(is this any good? Or is it too wierd for it's own good, as Peccatum is?)

Maudlin of the Well
(many compare them to Opeth. Is that a fair, warranted comparison?)

Nightingales album is "Alive Again" which is their new one which is excelent and sounds nothing like 80's cheese hair metal. There was a thine song on a peaceville sampler i once had and kinda reminded me a bit of Katatonia music wise and Anathema vocally. I would reccomend Nightingale though.

I have listened to Thine's In Therapy and it has a sense of AFDtE, but in a lot more britpop way. Which is not a bad thing. But at times can be a bit boring, lalala melancholia type of thingy....
Worth checking out I guess.

Love Conquers All said:
Stars of Ash is the best release of all these you've mention.
Man, I couldn't get into that Star Of Ash album at all, and I really like Peccatum. Oh well.

Nightingale is far from 80s cheese metal... more closely aligned with prog rock. Their "Alive Again" is amazing, and is in constant rotation in my CD player. It's a wonderful, emotional, full album. "Shadowman" and "Eternal" are two of my favorite songs. Ever. They give me goosebumps.

Maudlin Of The Well is definitely more experimental than Opeth, but their music is quite fulfilling. Both 'Bath' and 'Leaving Your Body Map' are excellent releases and go hand in hand. I can't say about any of their other albums, I haven't heard them yet.

NP - Katatonia - 'Burn The Remembrance'

trust your gut instinct on those Alive Again samples, if you dont like them then i dont see a point in getting the album, havent heard the samples but if you dont like them whats the point in getting the album. not sure what cheese hair is, but i thought it was a bit cheesey for my tastes, get Dan Swano - moontower instead if you havent got that, or maybe some edge of sanity stuff.

I listened to a song of Star of Ash yesterday, and I dunno, it reminds me of an attempt to clone The 3rd & the Mortal's In This Room, which uis impossible IMO.
Perhaps it is the prejudices(aaaah, what would we do without them?), because I never liked/considered Peccatum as sth serious.
The producers(the Ulver themselves) lived up this album, it would be nothing without them, methinks.