Can someone help me with these bands?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I've read & heard many great reviews concerning the following bands & CDs. Can anyone here offer an opinion(s) on any of these? Are they worth investing in?

Nightingale - Still Alive
(I've heard that this is a great melodic album, but the samples I've heard remind me more of 80s cheese-hair metal?!??!)

Thine - In Therapy
(I've read a review that stated that this album is quite similar to Anathema's "Judgement")

Star of Ash
(is this any good? Or is it too wierd for it's own good, as Peccatum is?)

Maudlin of the Well
(many compare them to Opeth. Is that a fair, warranted comparison?)

Originally posted by SoundMaster

Maudlin of the Well
(many compare them to Opeth. Is that a fair, warranted comparison?)

No, because they are incomparable. Even better than Opeth, more creative definately. The best band I have yet encountered in the world of metal. Trust me. ;)

Nightingale - If anything, get the album "I"

maudlin of the Well - They're very good. Maybe not as good as static would have you believe but very good indeed. I'd say, start with Leaving Your Body Map first. If you like that, then get Bath. My Fruit: Psycho Bells is good but the other two blow it away. You'll be disappointed with MFSB if you hear the others first.

Maudlin Of The Well owns life, although they can be an aquired taste...put My Dying Bride, Current 93 and possibly Opeth (although i dont see many similarities) into a blender together with some weird avant garde jazzy stuff...hmm this might not be a good description...it's unique atmospheric metal, just listen!

Originally posted by SoundMaster

Nightingale - Still Alive
(remind me more of 80s cheese-hair metal?!??!)

I agree totally. I bought it on the strength of "Shadow Man"... unfortunately the rest of the album bores me.

I have every Nightingale except Alive Again... They are all good, though it took a while to like breathing shadow, it has lots of ugly synth stuff and most of the songs has a drum machine