Can someone descibe 'Pain of Salvation'

DreamingofUr said:
I agree with the statement on the quote and what you told Hibernal-. But PoS have absolutely no affect on me. At all. I still can't believe I bought Remedy Lane because it does nothing for me at all. Its just doesn't have anything memorable in it and I am probably the biggest fan of using the entire album to bring music together. I don't like to DL but I think if I DL this concrete lake shit I might change my mind or kill them altogether. All the PoS fans out there cross those fingers cause their dead as disco if I waste anymore time on them.
So A Trace of Blood, the way Undertow builds, and the last half of A Trace of Blood (bringing the entire album together) does nothing for you? That's too bad.

Can I ask what you were expecting from POS? I know I didn't like them for a while because I was expecting a more flashy kind of "prog."

This was after listening to lots of past and recent prog *rock* not metal. I heard that they were much better then DT and had a soul unlike them. I wasnt sure what to expect because of the high praise they had been receiving by almost everything I had read. I decided to listen to it half way through typing this up and I did like those songs. But I hate the opening tracks so much!! lol. And damn it. I can't stand the damn vocals. Sounds like a flashback from the 80s everytime I hear it. I can usually over look vocals I don't feel the least fond of but damn these are something else. Or maybe because I was hoping for something to match DTs seasons or infinity albums. Thats the best DT IMO. And they don't come close to that at all. Their solos are cool but nothing like I was hoping for. It might be the hype thats killing them for me. But so many insist on their technical talents being supreme but being technical now means shit to me.

buchkoba00 said:
I can't even bring myself to read all the crap you just said, but to say that Opeth were one of the firsts to be called prog metal is abou the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
OK. How about we start with the obvious question, like, when did you first start listening to opeth?

TheFourthHorseman said:
Good post Spike...but too much time on your hands.
Actually I think you'll find the expression you were looking for was "...but too much time on your hand."

I was typing with one hand man. :Smug:

;)

i think pain of salvation is one of the most creative and unique bands today, beside opeth... you know whenever a prog band occurs, everyone compares them with dream theater. bu pain of salvation is really so different and has the music of their own. in my opinion, after "images and words" and "awake" dream theater albums lack creativity... but PoS is improving from album to album and im really anxcious about their next album "be". but i guess i'll have to wait for some time for its release... anyway, PoS is today's most original prog. band, period.

DeadBaytar said:
i think pain of salvation is one of the most creative and unique bands today, beside opeth... you know whenever a prog band occurs, everyone compares them with dream theater. bu pain of salvation is really so different and has the music of their own. in my opinion, after "images and words" and "awake" dream theater albums lack creativity... but PoS is improving from album to album and im really anxcious about their next album "be". but i guess i'll have to wait for some time for its release... anyway, PoS is today's most original prog. band, period.
The big problem with them a lot of people have is they don't pay attention to the lyrics, and Pain of Salvation is one of the only bands that actually seems to write music around their lyrics. If you read along with the lyrics and understand the stories behind the albums, they become MUCH MUCH more interesting and better. If you're someone that couldn't give a crap about lyrics, look elsewhere. I personally think that music should be about expressing emotion, and if you're going to put lyrics in your music you should write your music to them instead of writing the songs and THEN adding lyrics (which most bands seem to do :p). I mean like, what's the point of lyrics if they're only there to be there instead of there as the emotional foundation of the music?

wankerness said:
The big problem with them a lot of people have is they don't pay attention to the lyrics, and Pain of Salvation is one of the only bands that actually seems to write music around their lyrics. If you read along with the lyrics and understand the stories behind the albums, they become MUCH MUCH more interesting and better. If you're someone that couldn't give a crap about lyrics, look elsewhere. I personally think that music should be about expressing emotion, and if you're going to put lyrics in your music you should write your music to them instead of writing the songs and THEN adding lyrics (which most bands seem to do :p). I mean like, what's the point of lyrics if they're only there to be there instead of there as the emotional foundation of the music?

Well, lyrics are something that not everyone can understand. Lyrics can not bring everyone to relate to the topic because not everyone experiences the same things. Music on the other hand has no language boundaries. The lyrics should be wrote for the music because that is what transcends. If people want good lyrics then read a book of poems. If you want to connect on a different level that not just anyone can feel then listen to music. I mean look at pop bands. Their lyrics are what bring people to connect with them most of the time and they are shit and pointless. I am one of those who don't really care about the lyrics as long as they are not completely stupid. Before reading lyrics I'll usually try to make every possible connection with the music itself. Then the lyrics might(very rare) make those feelings slightly amped. Bottomline: Lyrics come down to language and how well the writer can convey his message in words. Music has no boundaries presented by humans and its eternal and all natural. Its fucking wind.

A Trace of Blood was the first of their catalogue I'd heard, and initially I didn't like it. Well, actually, I tell a lie, I did like the musicianship behind it, though I just couldn't work with Gildenlow's vocals. To me, at the time, they were too Power-y-ish. That said, I was listening to very little metal beyond Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Killswitch Engage and Porcupine Tree back in those days, so I can understand my distaste for the sound at the time.

Regardless, I gave it a few spins, and the first time I played the song whilst reading the lyrics, everything seemed to fall into place. Long story short, I now regard Gildenlow and company to be my favourite emsemble in musical history, having bought and played all four albums through hundreds of times each. Remedy Lane is an undoubted favourite, with Entropia and PT.1 sharing second position, largely because they're so different to each other. One Hour is a little further back, though still holds some of the unit's best work to date.

I personally don't think they're a Power Metal act though. Listen to 'Second Love', one of the softer tracks featured on RL, and tell me if that comes across as being on the same wavelength as LaBrie and company.

DeadBaytar said:
i think pain of salvation is one of the most creative and unique bands today, beside opeth...
This is exactly the way that I feel and that's why they are my top two favorites at this time!

If you have trouble understanding the lyrics and use this as an excuse not to like them then nothing else can be said except GO AWAY it's YOUR LOSS.....

"LaBrie and Co." are just as good I feel when they give an effort to that side of their music. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears are all awesome slower paced DT songs with incredible amounts of emotion. I always thought DT could fulfill that side of music but decided against it in favor of technical virtuosity. Thank God thats the only PoS album I have so I can have an opinion on this. While LaBrie isn't the greatest vocalist ever I think he does get bashed a little to often, including by myself. He does come through big time on an occasional song and I'm sure some people feel the same.

Though I do prefer Gildenlow's vocals outright, I won't deny that LaBrie is on certain songs, exceptional at what he does. In fact, he is (good at what he does) on the majority of DT tracks, it's just that I don't particularly like the sound he seems to reach a lot of the time.

I can't understand exactly why I don't like them sometimes because I love Rush's vocals on every album so much. Maybe its the fact that he looks sorta gay live that gets me everytime. I've seen em live twice and of course the DVD and VHS tapes and he always looks like a pretty boy. Especially on Livetime.

Heh. Don't really know what to say to that, but I guess I'll agree. James is certainly in a better state than Geddy at this point in time. :p . I enjoy listening to both bands, but I think that on the whole I don't enjoy the Power sound all that much. From what little I've heard of it (I've confined myself to mainly Death/Black/Doom/Prog recently) it and I just don't seem to mix...

Perhaps that will all change in time...