Can someone descibe 'Pain of Salvation'

I see absolutely zero similarities between PoS and power metal. They are completely, without a doubt, prog metal (without the cheese :D) before Remedy Lane, upon which it could be argued that they're prog ROCK instead, but who cares. NOT POWER METAL!!!! That's low...really low!

My GOD you biased cunts really hate Power Metal don't you? :bah: Get over yourselves for a minute and accept the fact that the genres of Power Metal and Prog Rock (They're closer to Prog METAL) are far closer to each other than you'd care to admit.

It's not:
Power Metal = Bad
PoS = Good
Therefore PoS (NOT =) Power Metal :bah:

I bet your all blindly against 'nu-metal' as well.

You must be blind if you can't tell the difference between prog and power

I like some power metal, and I can easily see that Pain of Salvation has nothing to do with power metal.

The majority of their songs are slow(er) and melodic... not fast and ripping, nor do they have catchy choruses.

Spike said:
My GOD you biased cunts really hate Power Metal don't you? :bah: Get over yourselves for a minute and accept the fact that the genres of Power Metal and Prog Rock (They're closer to Prog METAL) are far closer to each other than you'd care to admit.

It's not:
Power Metal = Bad
PoS = Good
Therefore PoS (NOT =) Power Metal :bah:

I bet your all blindly against 'nu-metal' as well.
Power metal is close to prog rock? Sorry, you have no idea what you're talking about, you biased cunt. :wave

Some good power metal like Kamelot and Pain Of Salvation maybe have very little in common,but I still can't really agree with Spike...

Also,try to stop categorizing people Spike...though,agreed,most metal fans just blindly spit on power metal and nu-metal but still,it doesn't really help if you keep it up like that.

Try the song Reconciliation,hibernal dream. Pretty straight-forward,great music especially riff/solo/vocal-wise and wonderful lyrics.
Also if you want some others that I won't really begin elaborating on,try Fandango,To The End or Rope Ends for the more complex and proggy PoS. The Perfect Element,Beyond The Pale,In The Flesh and Ashes are also good songs to try out I think.

Spike said:
You idiots. :bah:
Yes, because we don't agree with your categorization we're obviously all stupid and obviously all hate power metal. Pain of Salvation is NOT POWER METAL cause they don't have stupid sing along choruses and their music isn't all in 4/4. There's honestly no similarity whatsoever between them and power metal besides "HIGH MALE VOCALS." And Pain of Salvation's are frequently low, so that kinda destroys that argument too. I can see how some "prog" bands could be power metal (especially Symphony X) but don't see it at all with Pain of Salvation. I think it sounds like you haven't listened to more than one or two songs by them, but I can't think of any songs that you could have heard that would make you think they were power metal. I do hate power metal, by the way (besides Nightwish, oddly enough), I'd listen to most nu metal over it any day.

Both Strato and Guardian are past their prime and there's not really too many good power metal bands out there to take the throne.

Great how Gildenlöw wrote the best lyrics ever even on the debut.

Is that cause Strato,Helloween or Blind Guardian can't do them without laying double cheese on them? Guardian has some great lyrics though and I could start talking about them to annoy you...but nah.
Just as reasonable as your previous comment,you should can it about power metal already.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Try the song Reconciliation,hibernal dream. Pretty straight-forward,great music especially riff/solo/vocal-wise and wonderful lyrics.
Also if you want some others that I won't really begin elaborating on,try Fandango,To The End or Rope Ends for the more complex and proggy PoS. The Perfect Element,Beyond The Pale,In The Flesh and Ashes are also good songs to try out I think.
Okay, I heard that song and basically its nothing special. It sounds like a softened Evergrey song, and thats not saying much at all. I lost attention halfway through the song.

wankerness said:
Yes, because we don't agree with your categorization we're obviously all stupid and obviously all hate power metal. Pain of Salvation is NOT POWER METAL cause they don't have stupid sing along choruses and their music isn't all in 4/4. There's honestly no similarity whatsoever between them and power metal besides "HIGH MALE VOCALS." And Pain of Salvation's are frequently low, so that kinda destroys that argument too. I can see how some "prog" bands could be power metal (especially Symphony X) but don't see it at all with Pain of Salvation. I think it sounds like you haven't listened to more than one or two songs by them, but I can't think of any songs that you could have heard that would make you think they were power metal. I do hate power metal, by the way (besides Nightwish, oddly enough), I'd listen to most nu metal over it any day.
OK, I didn't want to do this cos it would be the equivalent of arguing with a wall, but at exactly which point did I say that PoS are POWER METAL? :err:

Spike said:
OK, I didn't want to do this cos it would be the equivalent of arguing with a wall, but at exactly which point did I say that PoS are POWER METAL? :err:
"PoS is Power Metal, but without the cheese."

Remember when you said that? I think that's pretty blatant :p

PWNED

Hondo said:
I don't think it sounds like power metal at all, and it's still cheesey at times.
My you guys really are being anal-retentive ATM. NEXT TIME I'll say "PoS is like Power Metal but with SIGNIFICANTLY LESS AMOUNTS OF CHEESE" :bah:

hej said:
POS is as far from Power Metal as you can get. Don't listen to whoever said that.
No, BLACK METAL is about as far as you can get from Power Metal (While staying within the blanket 'metal' genre)

wankerness said:
I see absolutely zero similarities between PoS and power metal. They are completely, without a doubt, prog metal (without the cheese :D) before Remedy Lane, upon which it could be argued that they're prog ROCK instead, but who cares. NOT POWER METAL!!!! That's low...really low!
NO! NO! NO! You MUST remember that there is still SOME CHEESE (as Hondo pointed out) in PoS. YES 'Prog Metal'/'Prog Rock' (Closer to Prog Metal as I later indicated) is what the band are currently categorised in, but I was TRYING TO DESCRIBE THEIR SOUND!!

Besides, 'Prog Netal' and 'Prog Rock' are about the stupidest genre's ever created in the music world (along with 'avante gard'). It was originally coined to dump all the bands that were "to hard to categorise" at the time until a significant amount of bands followed suit and thusly defined their OWN genre, or until such a time as the the band itself was 'unique' and prominent enough that THEIR OWN name definied their genre.

Opeth were one of the first bands to be slapped with the 'Prog Metal' label.

First Blood said:
You must be blind if you can't tell the difference between prog and power

I like some power metal, and I can easily see that Pain of Salvation has nothing to do with power metal.

The majority of their songs are slow(er) and melodic... not fast and ripping, nor do they have catchy choruses.
I didn't SAY that Prog and Power were IDENTICAL. I IMPLIED they have SIMILARITIES!! :bah:

Just as not all Power metal is fast and ripping, and since when has Power metal not been melodic!!? (compared to most OTHER genres in metal). Am I to assume you've NEVER heard and ICED EARTH? :err:

TheFourthHorseman said:
Also,try to stop categorizing people Spike...though,agreed,most metal fans just blindly spit on power metal and nu-metal but still,it doesn't really help if you keep it up like that.
OK I'm sorry, you lot may be a bunch of idiots, but I suppose it MAY be possible that you're not a bunch of NEW METAL/POWER METAL HATING BIASED IDIOTS. I said I was making a BET (otherwise known as an EDUCATED GUESS based on some LOGICAL ASSUMPTIONS).

Had I ACTED on those assumptions in the way I was treating you, then YES, I would have been unfairly categorizing folk. If my tone is coming across as harsh it's cos I think some of the people here are IDIOTS, NOT because they shun nu-metal or Power Metal or whatever (though I hope you can see that the latter is a result of the former).

wankerness said:
Pain of Salvation is NOT POWER METAL cause they don't have stupid sing along choruses...

Where the FUCK have you been? :confused: (And it doesn't have to be a chorus to be 'sing-a-long' )

wankerness said:
There's honestly no similarity whatsoever between them and power metal besides "HIGH MALE VOCALS." And Pain of Salvation's are frequently low, so that kinda destroys that argument too.
And you've NEVER heard a single line of Power Metal below a ball tearing scream? :err:

wankerness said:
I think it sounds like you haven't listened to more than one or two songs by themQUOTE]

You'd be wrong, VERY WRONG, but I suppose that would be a fair assumption to make under the circumstances.

wankerness said:
"PoS is Power Metal, but without the cheese."

Remember when you said that? I think that's pretty blatant :p

PWNED
OK, on the wording of that previous statement I am sorry. I THOUGHT the entire time that I'd said:

"PoS is like Power Metal, but without the cheese."

But when I've said something is (like) something, but is missing one basic element, doesn't that kinda imply that it is NOT firmly of that genre? :err:

Hardwiring a band to a specific genre nowadays is particularily ludicrous..... GENRE'S ARE ONLY GUIDELINES PEOPLE!! To put it more succinctly, many bands nowadays share 'unique' aspects of multiple different genre's, in PoS's case those genre's would be Power Metal, Prog Metal, and Prog Rock.

As I was trying to DESCRIBE THE BANDS SOUND, as requested, I've had to list one primary genre, then list the exception/s to the fact that would better classify said band. And as I've mentioned before, 'Prog Metal/Rock' are very nearly superfluous genre's anyway (though admittedly Prog Rock has more of it's own 'unique sound' compared to other genre's of rock than Prog Metal does to metal respectively)

Now it's at this point which I think words are going to fail me, but one of the things most in common between prog and power metal is the need for theatrics, or 'artsy-fartsyness'
wankerness said:
(It's my word and you'll LIKE IT! :p ). As progressive metal is almost always a hybrid of multiple genre's , and is often conceptual or 'obscure' (read as: artsy fartsy), this OFTEN is mirrored in Power Metals "Dungeosn and Dragons and Wizards ARTSY FARTSYNESS".

The main difference however is that in Power Metals case, they GO FOR THE CHEESE!!! :D It's very nearly a trade-mark of the genre. It could almost be said that Prog Metal is "Power Metal done right" (ie: Minus the cheese), but as the hallmarks and or definitions of Power Metal are set into stone (it's an established genre), you'll find that the content of 'Prog Metal Music' often strays too far away from Power metal with the inclusion of aspects of other genre's.

Believe it or not the genre's of metal ARE related to each, and some relations between genre's are closer than other's, ("Brutal Death Metal" for example didn't spawn itself into existance the instant Black Sabbath played their first power chord, things have had to evolve from the original "(Heavy) Metal" as we know it.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that many 'biased' (and I use the term loosely) folk simply look at any 'arty' musician which is bad/cheesy, and automatically dump them into the power metal genre, where as anyone that is suffuciently 'Good' (not cheesy) slots into the Prog metal category, though obviously there are exceptions where no matter how BAD something is it OBVIOUSLY isn't POWER metal (and vice versa).

Actually when you think about it, todays "Nu-Metal" ('New-Age' /'New-Wave') would actually be a better description of what is currently going by the name of progmetal, as it would be a more accurate depiction of the unformed and as yet uncategorised nature of a significant number of bands that are coming out at the moment.

But again unfortunately all the new bands in recent years that have melded genres (in particular RAP or POP and METAL) and are deemed to have 'sold out' are simply dumped into the 'nu-metal' category, thus 'Nu-Metal' has become synonymous with "BAD".

Would it be incorrect to say that Nu-Metal IS Prog Metal....it's just the BAD STUFF? :err:

Spike (Who would say if he didn't know any better that it was 'that time of the month'..... but then again he realises he's a guy . :erk: )

Opeth were one of the first bands to be slapped with the 'Prog Metal' label.
I can't even bring myself to read all the crap you just said, but to say that Opeth were one of the firsts to be called prog metal is abou the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.

YOU SIR POST LIKE POOP

Hibernal- you cannot judge POS by a couple of songs at all. Download an entire album, I'd recommend Remedy Lane, and give it a couple of spins. Then come back and tell me what you think.

POS songs are like pieces of a puzzle that don't always make much sense on their own, you really have to throw them all together to "get" it.

buchkoba00 said:
I can't even bring myself to read all the crap you just said, but to say that Opeth were one of the firsts to be called prog metal is abou the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.

YOU SIR POST LIKE POOP

Hibernal- you cannot judge POS by a couple of songs at all. Download an entire album, I'd recommend Remedy Lane, and give it a couple of spins. Then come back and tell me what you think.

POS songs are like pieces of a puzzle that don't always make much sense on their own, you really have to throw them all together to "get" it.

I agree with the statement on the quote and what you told Hibernal-. But PoS have absolutely no affect on me. At all. I still can't believe I bought Remedy Lane because it does nothing for me at all. Its just doesn't have anything memorable in it and I am probably the biggest fan of using the entire album to bring music together. I don't like to DL but I think if I DL this concrete lake shit I might change my mind or kill them altogether. All the PoS fans out there cross those fingers cause their dead as disco if I waste anymore time on them.