Can someone descibe 'Pain of Salvation'

I think One Hour is every bit as good as the two albums that followed, and while Entropia is the only one of their albums that strikes me as being a bit inconsistent and underdeveloped, there is some great material on it and it is highly original and eclectic for a debut album.

I have TPE and Remedy Lane. Remedy Lane is an amazing album throughout, TPE is only good. It has both my favourite ("Ashes") and my least favourite PoS tune ("King Of Loss") and I rarely feel like listening to all of it...

The great thing about Entropia IS the inconsistness. :) I love just listening to Revival when I don't feel the need to listen through the whole album. Though I should listen to Entropia again.

Best video ever for that song below.

OHBTCL and Entropia are GREAT albums, even though I prefer The Perfect Element. You have their two best albums, but if you like them I see no reason why you shouldn't like these two albums aswell. POS = God

Demonspell said:
I think One Hour is every bit as good as the two albums that followed, and while Entropia is the only one of their albums that strikes me as being a bit inconsistent and underdeveloped, there is some great material on it and it is highly original and eclectic for a debut album.
Exactly.

SoundMaster said:
Well, to make a long story short, the "Perfect Element" appears to be a perfect album - even the rap-metal/nu metal verses of the opening tune. I NEVER thought I'd find myself enjoying such a thing.

Anyway, I found the "PE" so good, that I rushed out to pick up "Remedy Lane" this past Saturday. All I can say is that I find "RL" to be an even stronger album. I just cant stop listening to it! "Undertow" is, as of this moment, my fav tune by this apparently perfect band!!!

So, the next question is THIS:

- are the first two releases AS GOOD ?
I've read many reviews that compare "Entropia" (is that the correct title) to Faith No More. If so, I may have to overlook it as FNM suck, imo.

And what about "One Hour"? Is it as musically strong as the more recent releases?

ps.....Progmetalfan: you recemmended PoS a few months back, and for some reason I overlooked them!?!? Well, today....thanks!
That's great to hear, SoundMaster. I too love the vaguely "nu-metal" verses of "Used" (though I've never heard a nu-metal song with such passion and power). And "Undertow" is a brilliant tune... the song is just one big crescendo.

I found "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" to be the most difficult album to get into (though some people find it the most accessible). It's got some really dissonant stuff ("Black Hills"), which is a good thing but can be hard to listen to for some people. I think it's a very quirky album and definately gets the least time in my player, but I should probably listen to it more. There are some brilliant vocal arrangements ("Water", "New Year's Day").

"Entropia" is WEIRD. For some reason I got into immediately, though most people would probably find it baffling. The band was just exploding with ideas on their debut album, and the music goes everywhere. There's a little bit of funk in some of the songs too ("People Passing By"). Overall, a very strange and eclectic album that I enjoy greatly.

I think the last two albums are definately a league above the earlier albums, but they're still essential for the serious Pain of Salvation fan.

DreamingofUr said:
I didn't like em so much before this thread was started but I decided to listen to Remedy Lane again and its pretty good now. It has its moments but I don't think the vocalist is in the same league as some power metal ones. As far as technical goes I don't think they come close to DT's but could get up there if they wanted to sacrifice their songwriting. Or maybe something blocked my mind from liking them after going to their site once and seeing the antiwar shit. Which I didn't like at all. My hats off to the solos in this album though, their great.
POS are NOT about technical wankery. They are not a glorified power metal band. This is what makes them so great, they AREN'T like the rest of the copy cat "look how many notes I can play" prog metal bands out there.

buchkoba00 said:
POS are NOT about technical wankery. They are not a glorified power metal band. This is what makes them so great, they AREN'T like the rest of the copy cat "look how many notes I can play" prog metal bands out there.

I'm glad that they aren't about that because they wouldn't appeal to me in the least. I didn't say they were power metal but I did say that the vocalist's talents can't be compared to the awesome power metal ones. Someone had said that he is this and that and I think not. Copycats or not prog metal should die already. Hail prog rock!

DreamingofUr said:
I'm glad that they aren't about that because they wouldn't appeal to me in the least. I didn't say they were power metal but I did say that the vocalist's talents can't be compared to the awesome power metal ones. Someone had said that he is this and that and I think not. Copycats or not prog metal should die already. Hail prog rock!
Well I'd tend to agree, but there are a few prog metal bands that are still actually making creative music, Pain of Salvation and Devin Townsend are the top two as far as I'm concerned.

I also love the fact that he DOESN'T sound like another power metal singer, I think that kind of singing gets old really fast. Gildenlow has so much emotion and versatility to his voice. What other singer could make The Heart of Mine so understated and beautiful while the end of Beyond the Pale (COME AND DROWN WITH ME) so damned metal.

Dammit now I have to go listen to Remedy Lane. :)

Someone seemed to suggest on a talent scale and I believe those power metal guys I mentioned can do a whole lot with their voice. It can get old, no doubt about that, but there are a select few who just do it so perfect. I've heard him on Remedy Lane and I won't lie to myself and say its not good but I just can't stand his singing the same as so many other prog bands. I really like the raw sound of Vinnie's voice from Anathema and Roy Harper recently. So maybe I just need to come around but as for now I shant stand it in the least. Thx for not gettin hostile like so many of these morons get around here.

DreamingofUr said:
Someone seemed to suggest on a talent scale and I believe those power metal guys I mentioned can do a whole lot with their voice. It can get old, no doubt about that, but there are a select few who just do it so perfect. I've heard him on Remedy Lane and I won't lie to myself and say its not good but I just can't stand his singing the same as so many other prog bands. I really like the raw sound of Vinnie's voice from Anathema and Roy Harper recently. So maybe I just need to come around but as for now I shant stand it in the least. Thx for not gettin hostile like so many of these morons get around here.
Next time I'll yell. :)

I won't lie to myself and say its not good but I just can't stand his singing the same as so many other prog bands.
So who else do you think he sings like?

I just generalized my hate for prog vocalists as a whole. Not that he sounds like any particular one. I remember hearing Shadow Gallery for the first time and I was blown away until the fucker started to sing. I'm just cursed to hate them. Nobody will ever come close or top Geddy Lee!! :)

DreamingofUr said:
Nobody will ever come close or top Geddy Lee!! :)
Lee may be, technically speaking, a 'good singer', but god-damn it, much like LaBrie, his excrutiatingly painful yelps & shrieks are murder on the ears.

I can only imagine how awesome Rush would have/could have been had they had a different vocalist. Oh well....such is what dreams are made of.

OK. so my original "Pos = God" comment was complete fanbot wankery, I wonder how hard I woulda got slammed if I'd said "Opeth = God"? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the BEST description I've come up with I coined quite a while ago, in fact I'm surprised I didn't quote it first I rememeber it so well.

"PoS is Power Metal, but without the cheese."

Now DON'T see the words 'Power Metal' and go :erk: I mean they've managed to yank all the irritating bits out and keep the good stuff, hence if you STILL haven't given them a shot yet, now's your chance.

I don't think it sounds like power metal at all, and it's still cheesey at times. But it has kind of an honesty and groundedness to it that cancels that out for me. Their albums are all conceptual, but they're about fairly real and relevant things. I don't think I can stand any more epic historical space fantasy repressed memory prog albums with multiple acts (except maybe the next Ayreon, and only for Dev and Mikael).