A song for project using Sturgis Samples

Yes and No... Actually I said this because this is a Joey Sturgis forum and he is
popular for using the Steven Slate's stuff. Though, I think that EzDrummer isn't a good choice for professional recording,
because it's only the easy (=Ez) version of Superior Drummer 2.0, which is way better than DFH.
And I don't really like the sound of DFH, because I think it sounds very fake.

I think using DFH as a starting point is good but I've heard a lot of DFH reocrding which sound quite real sounding...

I do concur that using SD 2.0 especially with and expansion pack does give you "non-fake" sounding drums...

I actually have heard of beat craft but have never used it until I bought it last night after listening to this recording...

I'm new to the whole recording side of the house... I would usually make basic drum tracks in DFH/SD 2.0 for song writing and then send it off to get drums programmed to the tracks according to what I wanted with a limited description but when you use the same guy over and over again you build a rappor you know... and for the last 10 years or so I've really focused more on my performing than learning how to engineer or mix/master recordings...

It wasn't until I realized I really liked all the bands the joey produced did I start building a home studio and diving into the world of engineering...

Scrapped my logic apogee/studio for cubase 6... got waves gold, etc...

So in your opinion your saying beat crafts is better then DFH and/or steve slate is better DFH...

yeah I have heard it before when I was considering DFH. I agree with ya, there are people who can take someone hitting a box with a stick and make it sound decent. There is a lot you can do these days with all these effects and plug ins. Cheers to technology! :kickass:

I'm new to this whole side of the house... would you say beatcraft is better than DFH... considering I have Kontakt 4/Komplete... and several sturgis drum samples... black and gold fullkit, shoudler city stuff... huge snare...

There are times when I'm like man DFH sucks I can't do do this or do that's when I usually call a drummer and have him do this or that for me on a live or electric kit and send it to me...

But I would like to become more and more independent on the drums side of the house...

So in your opinion your saying beat crafts is better then DFH and/or steve slate is better DFH...

Not a fan of Beatcraft... But with SSD you can get very far, as you can see/hear with Joeys Mixes. Another good way to go is blending Superior Drummer with Slate samples like a lot of people in the Andy Sneap forum do.
You can archieve very realistic results with this combination. However, the right processing is as important as the samples you use. ;)

Not a fan of Beatcraft... But with SSD you can get very far, as you can see/hear with Joeys Mixes. Another good way to go is blending Superior Drummer with Slate samples like a lot of people in the Andy Sneap forum do.
You can archieve very realistic results with this combination. However, the right processing is as important as the samples you use. ;)

What about as far creating compositions like the one posted here...

I actually got a question about Joey, does he record REAL drums and then replace them? or does he completely just programs them?

oh and beatcraft is only good for being simple, I use it because it is fast for me, but I would recommend using Superior or SSD or both.... Beatcraft is good for me, but probably not what you are looking for my friend

I actually got a question about Joey, does he record REAL drums and then replace them? or does he completely just programs them?

He records live drums in the studio with triggers on the kicks, snare, and toms and uses live overheads... then let's the band blind choose samples for there record... then sends it out to be edited and quantized...

Occasionally he'll re-cord cymbals, toms, kick or snare to fix errors... these usually become samples on his site...

i feel like with vocals this song could really be something. the intro is very original sounding with the choir. im impresed

So exactly what was process and method used to create drums? did you use a controller or just click the beats on... expand please... as in how did you work through creating the drums?

thanks