A song from my solo project

Erik said:
Another thing though. You could have drawn this out a whole lot longer without it turning boring. I mean, while the individual parts are good the metal stuff doesn't really get enough time to develop before it goes back into the acoustic bits, you basically have 7-8 minutes of material here if you arrange it a bit differently I'd say.
Ya, especially that opening riffing after the intro on Hym of The Wood. :headbang:

This thread has given me a lot of esteem and makes me think that this little 20 minute tape is worth taking seriously... this month I will work with the songs and re-record them. First things first though... fuck this drum machine.

edit - perhaps I should stop recording with this 15 watt crate amp and bring in my 160 watt 2 12'' fender stage pro...

As you already pointed out the vocals and drums need improvement. I'm not very good at reviewing music but I will try to give some constructive critismism:

RHiI: The riffs in that acoustic break feel a bit chopped up, I would prefer a greater "flow" so to speak, and has been said already it would benefit from greater length. OK all in all.

HotW: A lot more interesting song structure and good riffs; gives me a sort of Agalloch feel which can never be a negative thing. I've no suggestions in what way to change it but that incessant cymbal crash gets in the way of the rest of the song I think. A good song which could become really good with some tinkering.

Thanks to both of you, and Spaffe, it is always excellent to hear opinions on how to improve stuff. I've decided on THIS course of action-

I'm going to set up my Fender amp for recording instead of the Crate... the sound should be much better. I'll be working on my vocals, and as for the drum sound, I'll be using a digital drumset or a better programming system (if I cant pull off the real drums). Mike... Im still interested in hearing why you dont like Digital sets.

Because I hate them, that's pretty much it. I haven't heard one that sounds good yet (there probably are but bla bla) and you can't fucking mangle them because 1) it feels weird and 2) something might break

The transitions between the different parts in HotW feel a bit too hasty, it's like all of a sudden you go from one place to another without even looking there first if you understand what I mean... I do like the parts though

I know what you mean, it doesnt feel quite right while listening to it. And on the drumset issue, I can't have an Acoustic Set in my houe for 2 reasons...

1) I don't have the space at all, and digital sets are compact (moreso).
2) No one in my house (5 people) wants to hear me blast beat and go fucking nuts for 4 hours a day, and I can't blame them. I'll be listening through headphones, and it seems like a good idea at this point.

I agree about the feel, its absolutely not the same... but you can get some great sounds in my opinion. I'm sure you've heard Leviathan (as in the USBM band)... Wrest uses a digital set and I didn't know until I read that somewhere. I would prefer a real set of course, but at this time it just isnt possible.

Well, I haven't heard Leviathan :)
I can understand the other reasons but I wouldn't get one myself anyway, too much money on something I'll just want to change

Yeah thats true... I'm putting down about 5/8 of the money and my parents agreed to meet me on the rest of it (which makes them t3h r00l for supporting my potential pwnage of all musical instruments), I don't know final numbers yet, but its not going to be anything totally expensive, so I won't feel really bad when I go off to college and start using real sets.

edit - and if you want leviathan CD-Rs i will send them to you, just PM me your address.