Help me buy a new guitar.

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
Well, the day has finally come where I have to get rid of my old Epiphone Les Paul studio. The neck is old and warped, the electronics are failing/have failed, i have various telecaster parts on it to keep it together, and everything is a mess. So I was thinking that I would combine some holiday money and cash left over from summer to get something new to record the Wind Through the Trees EP and the Noltem demo. My choices as of now were as such:

BC Rich Mockingbird -
510802.jpg

I know fully well that the stock pickups on BC Rich guitars are usually shit, so I would be getting some EMGs to replace them. I've heard good things about the structure of the guitar, and believe it or not- I like the body a lot. (w/ new EMGS $600)

Schecter C-1 Classic-
513072.jpg

I've heard excellent things, and I enjoyed the couple minutes of playing time I had with one of these. It does look pretty, but the problem is that I would be paying for the looks. Regardless, it has a jazzy and thick Gibsony tone. (700 dollars).

I just need something that can get a good tonal range. Perhaps a guitar that could work well for both Black Metal and Funeral doom. Any reccomendations are welcome. My budget probably maxes out at $750.

Haha, I didn't think it would work :) But seriously, I have all my money, I just am not sure what is going to suit my needs.

I have a Carvin, and I believe Carvin's are some of the best guitars you can buy. Completely custom made to order.

If I was choosing between the two guitars you listed above, I'd DEFINITELY go with the Schecter. It will BLOW AWAY the BC Rich.

BC Rich and Jackson are the most generic guitars you can use for metal. Nearly everybody uses them. Be different. Get a Schecter . . . or better yet a Carvin.

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Schecter. First off, its fucking beautiful, and they are build sooooliid! Thanks for your words.

I'm not completely basing it off of looks, but I will continue to say that the Schecter is beautiful. I've played it as well, and I was impressed. ( though I played it on a 1500 dollar marshall that I will never own ). Interesting you mentioned the Destroyer, my friend just told me that he is selling his! Rob in Aegrimonia uses an Explorer, they are excellent guitars. and in case any of you are wondering, I'm not some Guitar n00b that wants a BC Rich because Kerry King usez onee lol!111 ... I've been playing for about 8 years in January.

The Destroyer he wants $350-400 for it, I will get specs and pictures for you if you want. Let me explain my Les Paul - its very playable. All the songs that I have recorded (that you have heard) were done with it. It has no pickguard, and the screw holes are visible (but not big). Once in a while the switch will fuzz out on you, but thats a minor problem and easy to fix, as you know. The neck is old... but still plays decently. On of the tuning pegs is missings. Here are some pics.

lesbody5ny.jpg

leshead7zn.jpg

lesneck6mi.jpg

I'd let it go for $200.... with some work it could be renewed.

edit : ive been looking at the switch, and it seems fine. I can't get it to fuzz out.

Oh haha, I was using telecaster tuning knobs. One is still broken, as you see, and I had another put back on. Yeah, shipping to sweden would be a bitch. I would have it shipped out from my dad's shop, so he'll know, but I'm guessing maybe around 40 dollars.

if you want any other pics or anything, tell me.

bitchin. I'm into customer satisfaction- if you want me to like record samples or whatever, thats very do-able too. if you get further interested, i'll write up a list of other things you should know. (minor crap like scuffs, chips, glue etc)

Get a Gibson Les Paul, that's the guitar I would get if I had $2,000. Do you have $2,000? Give me your $2,000 so I can get my $2,000 Les Paul. Oh man I wish I had $2,000 to buy this $2,000 Les Paul.

p20371b.jpg

Have you looked at Ibanez? Those Joe Satriani geeeeeeeeetars are really sweet, the one I played was about $800 a few years back.

Erik said:
Nah, scratches and dents I can deal with. Samples, I think the songs you've recorded are enough... My basic worries are that the neck isn't fucked to the point where some regular maintenance in a guitar shop won't fix it, and that it stays in tune decently, that the tuners are OK etc -- as I said I will probably keep this tuned down to somewhere between B and C# so I'll want thicker strings and take it somewhere to have that done professionally, with intonation and neck adjustment and all that jazz. Basically -- as long as it doesn't have SERIOUS faults I'm OK -- I don't want to have to buy new tuners or a new neck or anything like that because in that case I would be better off buying a new Epi LP for the same price I'd end up with.

the neck would be fine with a truss rod adjustment. the tuning machines are a little loose, but that effects it ZERO when there are strings on it. It stays in tune fine. Ill be honest with you though, If you have an opportunity to pick up a Epi Studio for like 300 dollars, snatch it.

Erik said:
I'm sure it sounds beautiful, but what good is a guitar if you can't be thrashin' smashin' on your knees, you BEEEG FOR MERCY! with it without having to fear putting microscopic dents in the finish? That's right, no good at all
You must be thinking of a Parker Fly or other such homosexual guitar. You can break someone's skull with a Gibson Les Paul while tremelo picking and the tone won't even change for a second. You can even throw one off a cliff and then play one of metal's greatest guitar solos, haven't you seen the November Rain video?

I'd say go for the schecter based on the fact that BC Rich is generally crap, and that most schecters of that range are of great quality. Such as my schecter which is teh rule.

no, none of you cunts know what a real fucking guitar is.

Because you asked for it- I give you "Steven" - the most metal guitar of all time.
steveall0dt.jpg

Thats right. Squier Strat body, les paul mini electronics, one humbucker, one volume knob, telecaster neck. Looks like shit, plays like shit, doesn't do shit, in fact IS shit. All hand-built by Max fucking Johnson.

Now fuck you and your less paul. Bown down to my electronicheathenthrashkreigsmachine.

Please also note how I broke off a piece of the pickguard and screwed it onto the body to make a place for the knob.

Erik said:
:lol: I want audio samples of Steven. What do you need a fancy-ass Schecter to record your new stuff with for when you have that? Oh, and a new Epi LP for $300 in Sweden -- FAT FUCKEN CHANCE. The dollar is so weak now that I wouldn't even consider buying a guitar here, and even when the dollar is strong music stuff is ridiculously expensive here. Wait, let me see what Sweden's biggest music equipment chain wants for an Epi LP Studio... $585 not including shipping.

The Fly is indeed the most gay guitar of all time, anyhoo, while the Les Pauls may be solidly built, if I had a $2000 guitar I'd still baby it around to make sure there's no chipping of the finish, etc, etc. I like having guitars I don't have to care much about. I don't abuse my RG, but I care little enough to put stickers on it and not be devastated when a chunk of paint falls off here and there.

Fans of steven get what they want - I have no way of updating or anything... so what other way is there than to waste myspace's bandwith and create an account JUST for the guitar ?

http://www.myspace.com/steventheguitar

enjoy :cool: you might recognize the song, erik