Guitar players...i need suggestions for good pickups

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
Yeah, awhile ago i bought a BC rich platinum pro mockingbird (one of the better of BC rich) and as you know, bc rich's pickups arent that good, in fact, they suck. I need suggestions for good pickups. Within the price range of about 150 bucks (unfortunately i dont know what that translates to in other forms of currency)

eh, i was actually kind of looking for model names too. The sound im looking for, its almost an abstract kind of sound, almost like opeth, but also kind of necrophagist type of sound. in other words, something that will get the heavy sound to sound clear, but heavy, and the clean sound to sound clear but also kind of accoustical.

Goober said:
The sound im looking for...the heavy sound to sound clear, but heavy, and the clean sound to sound clear but also kind of accoustical.

Yeah! I'd like that too...! :D

Anyone...?

Yeah i was thinking about maybe getting some full shreds, but i dont know...My friend was also suggesting i should get some duncan invaders

I will change my Emg-hz passive pickups too and i recommend you Emg 81/85(81 bridge,85 neck) or Dimarzio X2N.Though i didnt try out X2N but it has hig output level and much gain.It depends on your choice of course.

PS:I cant decide on those so...

I recommend a Semour Duncan - Duncan Distortion. It's extremely clear and heavy with distortion, harmonics are great too. The acoustic sound is great as well, nice bass and very natural. It goes for around 100 bucks.

I have Seymour Duncans on my guitar .. They seem to do the job pretty well.

Does anyone know much about Parker guitars? I'm contemplating buying one when in the future and i hear they're bitching. Do people know whether they're all around good guitars, pros and cons etc..

Well for one, they look like crap :tickled:

I don't know whether you're willing to actually change the circuitry of the guitar to use active PUs like EMGs, so I'd just go with trying out some Seymours or Dimarzios. The pickup Vai uses is apparently pretty smooth when it comes to distortion sounds.

What you could do is get a mixture. Get a Full Shred in the bridge, for those nice Opethish metal sounds, then get a Jazz in the neck so you can pull some of that nice clean electric sound. Both of these pickups are Seymour Duncan models.

Moonlapse said:
If that was directed at me, how dare you! haha .. Parker's are just an aquired taste - the Akercocke singer/guitarist has a jet black parker and it is the nicest guitar i've ever seen! .. i know some of the models have piezo pick ups too, but i know fuck all about them.. anybody got any info on them?

Moonlapse said:

I don't know whether you're willing to actually change the circuitry of the guitar to use active PUs like EMGs, so I'd just go with trying out some Seymours or Dimarzios. The pickup Vai uses is apparently pretty smooth when it comes to distortion sounds.

What you could do is get a mixture. Get a Full Shred in the bridge, for those nice Opethish metal sounds, then get a Jazz in the neck so you can pull some of that nice clean electric sound. Both of these pickups are Seymour Duncan models.

Well, im kind of hesitant to get full shreds, cuz you lose some heaviness by getting those. However, i am thinking about maybe getting the full shred on the neck and maybe some invaders in the bridge.

I got my EMGs in the mail today.(81b, 85n) They are going in a V that I'm building... I love EMGs!

They would give you the sound that you are looking for... you might want to try this combination as well: 85b, 60n

81 in the bridge gives a very thin sound.. especially when the body wood is something like Alder, which Jackson seem to use a lot. Mahogany may help a bit because it's a darker sounding wood, but as a general rule I preffer the 85 in the bridge because it sounds smoother.

But on another note, my 707s are working wonders in the Hellraiser.

Goober said:
Yeah, awhile ago i bought a BC rich platinum pro mockingbird (one of the better of BC rich) and as you know, bc rich's pickups arent that good, in fact, they suck. I need suggestions for good pickups. Within the price range of about 150 bucks (unfortunately i dont know what that translates to in other forms of currency)

would you please tell more details about your guitar, like the made materials,
which kind of the sound u looking for? and whcih part you feel lacking in the stock p/u s?

because pickups will sounds different if installed in different guitar and setups.

Moonlapse said:
81 in the bridge gives a very thin sound.. especially when the body wood is something like Alder, which Jackson seem to use a lot. Mahogany may help a bit because it's a darker sounding wood, but as a general rule I preffer the 85 in the bridge because it sounds smoother.

But on another note, my 707s are working wonders in the Hellraiser.
Listen to this person.

6 string = EMG 85.
7 string = EMG 707.