Abigor - Yay or Nay

Jun 25, 2004
so just looking at BM lists on websites.. lists that fan suggest of bands and came across Abigor... just wanted to know what your opinions are of this band and if Yay then what albums are essentials... the album Nachthymnen seems to get very good reviews.... I'm making a list of BM albums to get this coming year... Summoning's Stronghold is my first pick.. and I'm considering Abigor... now...

I like them quite a bit, though I never pursued them enough to actually buy anything quite yet.

I'm not too much in to the more "raw" stuff, but I've liked Abigor ever since I got Verwustüstung/Invoke the Dark Age way back when. Great album. I have all their albums, but the first three are the best in my opinion. Tharen's newer project, Dargaard, is excellent as well.

They're super awesome. Nachtymnen, Orkblut, Opus IV, and Chanelling The Quintessence of Satan are all worth getting.

Nachhymnen is the most straightest of the Abigor albums, the others have a little different songwriting with more technical riffs and progressively structures. Definitely a band worth to check out.
I am damn curious about St.Lucifer, the new band they formed after the split.

Abigor is a great band, very underrated. Scars in the Landscape of God is a classic song

ok im convinced... so far Summoning and Abigor for 2006 after i pay off some credit cards lol ... I'm also considering 1349's new one... it got great reviews and i liked their last album even though i seem to have lost the CD and can't find it... :yell: :ill:

The strangest thing about Abigor is their taste (lack of) of production and sound. If you ever heard their first album Orkblut, you will notice it sounds better than any album released after that one. Music and songwriting gets far better with each album though.

Austria has a really weak black metal scene these days. Even when the scene was a bit stronger, it was only because of those same few individuals playing in Abigor, Summoning, Heidenreich, etc...

Since Abigor ceased to exist, all those other bands lost their meaning as well.

Also, a big problem lies with their label Napalm records which transformed from a black metal label to a stupid Goth-heavy whatever metal label with a bunch of stupid german and swedish bands mit frauengesang. :yuk: