Accents

I don't say it like that

Don't lump all of us together chief ... its a BIG country ;)

It's kind of hard to type what I mean.
I know what you are saying, though
But that's not what I meant.

Anyway in case you hadn't gathered, I'm awful at articulating my thoughts, so I wont keep trying....shit will just get confusing

I think they're talking about "Jersey shore" style accents.

The accents you hear on jersey shore are new york accents, nobody thats actually from this area (grew up here) speaks like that, half the shows on tv too (the jersey ones at least) are all the northern jersey accents. We dont have much of an accent in south jersey. Just plain basic english.

The accents you hear on jersey shore are new york accents, nobody thats actually from this area (grew up here) speaks like that, half the shows on tv too (the jersey ones at least) are all the northern jersey accents. We dont have much of an accent in south jersey. Just plain basic english.

Thats the funny thing. Same deal goes on in California as well. Accents aren't regional, more they are culture based. While you can have one household who is black have a mild southern accent with ebonics thrown in for good measure, their neighbors could have a Chicano accent, which varies in thickness form person to person.

What is this British accent you speak of? I don't think you could find a (largely monolingual) country with more diverse accents.

Now while I am generalizing, but on this side of the pond, off hand for Britain, the only differences in accent from the regions we notice are the proximities to Ireland and Wales relative to London, where the balance shifts to which one that person is closer to. I am pretty sure you guys would think the same thing about us Americans as well as I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from someone from San Fransisco and someone from Chicago, unless you spent some time in either city.

Thats the funny thing. Same deal goes on in California as well. Accents aren't regional, more they are culture based. While you can have one household who is black have a mild southern accent with ebonics thrown in for good measure, their neighbors could have a Chicano accent, which varies in thickness form person to person, but it is generally accepted by linguists as the generic accent for the state and generally for the west coast as a whole, but is also the typical for the great lakes area, where the accent got its name from.

Well by me we have that too, a few people with the new york accent, got a few of the southern-ish accents, and the chicano etc., but thats just either people that moved here from wherever, or the fakes around here just pretending. But the farther north you go, the thicker the accent gets, the north jersey and new york accents are similar but different at the same time. But as you said, the North Jersey accent is dubbed "The New Jersey Accent" when its only about maybe half of the state that actually talks the way they do. If I recorded myself or JayB talking, since hes from the same town as me, neither of us would be sounding like the jersey shore people, or tony soprano or any of what you see on tv.

All I know is that I live literally like 20 minutes away from where the jersey shore is filmed. There is not 1 person that grew up in this area that talks like those fucks do. We do tend to get rowdy and start shit from time to time. But I blame the alcohol more than the culture in that scenario.

HAHAH Anssi those Airplane! vids are awesome^^ They actually talk with a bavarian accent in the german version with kills me every time. "Du schaugst a blos oiwei auf die gaudinoggal und nachad hauds die sauba aufd lätschn" XD

I have a bavarian accent and I like it. Austrian and Berlin accents are awesome too.

I just found my favourite accent! It just has to be Arnie speaking in russian accent, there can be no better than that. :lol: :D

Some of that cockney accent grates my nerves, can not explain why but it just does. See Danny Dyer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YYNiMdUFGM

This geordie accent I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FS0YrTHaEI

I guess this is Virginia accent, probably my favourite from the US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2k3A452ZXg

has something to do with the fact that is a bit more obvious when the British do it due to their exaggerated vowels. Makes the letters they skip stand out like a sore thumb.

No British accent. Doesn't exist. :bah:

Now while I am generalizing, but on this side of the pond, off hand for Britain, the only differences in accent from the regions we notice are the proximities to Ireland and Wales relative to London, where the balance shifts to which one that person is closer to. I am pretty sure you guys would think the same thing about us Americans as well as I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from someone from San Fransisco and someone from Chicago, unless you spent some time in either city.

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet cash you've mistaken Englishmen for Irishmen, Scotsmen and such before and not even known it.

English:

English:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq55FAdIF1A&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends,

Some of them sound like scraping Granite with a cheese-grater.

Galway accents are awesome, Cork and Belfast accents sound terrible.

Dublin accent has it's charm but makes everyone sound like junkies.

Hmm, I guess my thing is the Dublin accent, as when I think of cool accent I think of Damien Rice and he grew up about 20km west from Dublin.

Brad Pitt's accent in Inglorious Basterds is legendary too.