AcmeBarGig: Want to Design an Effect, an Amp?

+1, a strobe tuner would be awesome.

Also, some kind of guitar synth with a wet/dry and blend control so you can have your full tone plus the synth tone with it, or blend them together...

How about some MIDI effects or is that outside of ABG's interest?

Maybe some cool MIDI tool that would help when writing songs... it could contain a lot of chords and variations, arpeggiator which can arpeggiate through the chosen chord, and stuff like that. I know there are a few MIDI effects like these but I've never seen a free one.

I was gonna propose a sampler too but ShortCircuit2 probably is good enough and it's free so there's no need to do that all over again.

If it comes down to amp sims again, I'm REALLY interested in a tight distortion modeler, similiar to the ENGL e-570 preamp and stuff like that. I just love how tight the distortion on those are and I have no idea why they are tighter than other brands... it would kick ass to understand the theory/physics that makes it tight like that. The reason for my interest in tight distortion is that I currently play with a pretty low tuning, namely A#, and I just feel it would suit me much better with something really tight.

Another idea is a plugin that I have never seen anywhere before... maybe because it's simply stupid but here goes :) A plugin that can take a duplicate of a track, for example a guitar track, then modify it so it becomes very close to an actually double tracked track. This would probably be achieved by moving very small slices of the audio back and forth while altering the volume and maybe pitch very slightly and so on, to mimic the changes that occur while double tracking something. Yeah, I'm aware of the issue some people have with this type of effects, namely the "do you want the plugin to play guitar for you too?"-issue, but come on... if it works, it would be quite awesome :) I would personally use it more on other stuff than guitars probably, and to simply duplicate and shift a track in time is a bit too static for a "fake double track".

I apologize ahead in time for not making sense... I'm kinda tired right now and just spewing out some words :)

Erkan the last effect you mentioned has just been created its called Snegus..It takes a track, leave one alone but processes 2 more, speed fluctuation, detunining...+/- 5 cents, and a sample delay from 1 to 999 samples...This effect was designed by Seve Negus the former drummer of Saga, we will be releasing it very soon..

KM

What about the live musician?

These sorts of things are fine to sit and tinker with on your computer in a recording environment, what someone really needs to do is put the power of VST into a real world piece of gear that can be integrated into a live setup.

I'm not talking about something like a POD or an Axe FX where you only have what's there. I'm talking about a standard VST engine, so you can download whatever amp sims, cab sims, effects and whatever else you need, upload them to your box and plug into whatever you're using live.

I realise this would take a lot of power and a lot of ingenuity creating a control interface to manipulate any number of different graphic interfaces which means big production costs, but I honestly think as a concept it's a way better way of doing the digital thing than what is available at the moment. If the future of guitar is computer amps, then they have to be live and incorporate user-driven expandability (this should be inherent to all software platforms imo) or they'll never be more than an alternative to a "real" amp.

Yeah dude, you may be speaking just a bit above these guys' capabilities/budgets - and there are already a few things out there for just that purpose! (SM Pro Audio makes a few, and there are the infinitely more expensive Muse Receptors)

Metal Jonesy...So that is a delay with a filter on the delay portion? I kinda sounded like that to me...I am pretty sure I could build that, but if you have any more info on what is actually is doing, or what control knobs are with it..That would be great..

Bekanor..
We actually are working on that very thing and have the design for it complete..The entire amp(we'll call it) will be around 1400-1600 USD but includes Midi Foot Controller and wireless connection to the PA. You could just plug it into your existing amp, but it is designed to be plugged into a PA...You'll notice we have some threads around looking for partners, that is what those threads are for. Until we get partners on this, it is in limbo...

MetalTastic, yes it certainly is above our budget to do this by ourselves, we still have yet to ask a single penny for any of our plugs..
KM

Thanks Metal...

We are trying very hard to move away from the idea of emulating anything, like Tubes, Transistors, etc. Until we get out of the idea of modeling an amp, this new way of creating sound cannot flourish...It is our mandate to educate and empower people to embrace computer amps for what they are...Once we are at that stage then I think we'll see some really interesting and great computer amps come out...Our newest amp to be released very soon, will have no tubes, transistors, tone stack anything that is modeled after a real world amp..
KM

Bekanor..
We actually are working on that very thing and have the design for it complete..The entire amp(we'll call it) will be around 1400-1600 USD but includes Midi Foot Controller and wireless connection to the PA. You could just plug it into your existing amp, but it is designed to be plugged into a PA...You'll notice we have some threads around looking for partners, that is what those threads are for. Until we get partners on this, it is in limbo...

Well that shuts my big fat mouth. :lol:

Erkan the last effect you mentioned has just been created its called Snegus..It takes a track, leave one alone but processes 2 more, speed fluctuation, detunining...+/- 5 cents, and a sample delay from 1 to 999 samples...This effect was designed by Seve Negus the former drummer of Saga, we will be releasing it very soon..

KM

Ooooh shit, you guys are way ahead! :) Lovely, eagerly waiting for the release!