Adagio - DOMINATE

Got mine today, listened to the first 2 songs and a few things are already apparent. This album feels rushed. It is definately different from the previous releases, it's not bad at all, but I think the one thing about Adagio that really stood out to me was the atmosphere the band created with each and every song (previously). I miss that. Still, this sounds like it could rock harder than previous albums.... I'll wait to pass judgement on this one.

Well you gotta understand too that the band had to deal with not 1 but 2 members leaving abruptly, and thats hard; really, really hard to deal with, to the point that I'm still surprised that it didn't cause the band to break up all together. So they really need to find themselves again, almost reinvent their sound altogether.

The drumming is mostly straightforward! :D

It really surprised me when that first blastbeat came in on Fire Forever.

RobbM said:
Well you gotta understand too that the band had to deal with not 1 but 2 members leaving abruptly, and thats hard; really, really hard to deal with, to the point that I'm still surprised that it didn't cause the band to break up all together. So they really need to find themselves again, almost reinvent their sound altogether.

But at the same time, this is a band where one member (Stephan) writes the majority of the music. Losing David was defintely a blow to recover from, but I think that their drummer was more or less expendable anyway.

And the singer thing is a blow with any band, not because of the writing but because of the attachment fans get to singers. Look at the writing credits, David's name wasn't popping up so often (or at all) in the music credits.

Did you notice the "Odyssey"ishness in the album :) It's been a more straight album than tho other two. My mouth goes "power" but i don't want to say it, i hope i won't say it in the future too.

I think this is a case where people get way too attached to a band's previous albums that they can't accept new stuff if it's so different. It's happened (and continues to happen) with Symphony X and Dream Theater fans...prog fans need to loosen up.

I don't like it either. Not at all. Also i don't need to loosen up cause the band loosen up itself :) Isn't it obvius ?

im listening to the cd right now.the songs are good so far ,but the production is really horrible(sephan and kevin fudged up).The vocals are not really audible ,and the drumms sound really bad(the only thing the new guy does good is the double,no freakin technique in his playing).

The Metal Chick said:
I think this is a case where people get way too attached to a band's previous albums that they can't accept new stuff if it's so different. It's happened (and continues to happen) with Symphony X and Dream Theater fans...prog fans need to loosen up.

Nah, it's also possible for a new release to genuinely suck.