Adam D micing tips

Back off
Mic placement is pretty crucial. You can get a million different EQ responses depending on where you throw the mic in front of the cab. I personally have the best luck – or at least I think so – when I back the mic off a little bit. I know a lot of engineers throw it right on the grille to get the bass boost, the proximity effect and all that garbage, but I find that if I back it up about six inches, I get a more balanced EQ curve.

link

never tried as far back as 6 inches......anyone else gone that far?

Are his tones impressive or something? I really have never heard anything he's produced...

i'll see what i can do..
would it be best if i just used marcus' Holy diver d.i or come up with something else? if so could someone send it to me?

I guess I can kind of see where he's getting at. If you think about it when the standard is to make it sound good in the room first, you aren't directly on the grill listening to it in the room :lol: Rather, you are standing back a few feet, right? Very interesting... I may have to tinker with the idea myself.

That's really, really interesting... I'll have to try it.

I had no clue he reamped for Underoath - those guitars sound fucking stellar!

Anyone know if he reamped for A Day To Remember, as well, or just mixed?

KSE Holy Diver cover tone = :worship:

And one big plus of pulling the mic back is that it's less sensitive to placement; of course, that's not worth much if it doesn't sound better than a close mic in the perfect spot, but yeah, a shootout in a full mix would fucking RULE (and here's a link to the HD DI's, though considering how wretched the backing tracks I have are, maybe they wouldn't be the best, unless someone wants to record a quick bass line and program some decent drums! Tempo is exactly 185 bpm)

I read about how he placed the SM57 six inches away from the cab in a recent magazine where they were talking about how the latest KSE album was produced. I've yet to try it but I'm real curious how it sounds.

As for his tones, I really like the guitar sounds on Parkway Drive - Horizons (I don't care to much for the tones on the earlier Parkway Drive albums.) I also especially like the sound he's got on all the KSE albums, and All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals.

okay cool.
I'll do this this week. Which amp shall i use?? 5150, dual rec . 800? or all 3?
mmm
all 3 i think
think ill use your dis Marcus as i just slashed my finger up on a carving knife. makes for an easier point of reference too!

I'll just do one 57 and differing distances

Ive been experimenting with distances around 6 inches to even a foot and it definitely has a more natural sound to it. Sometimes you put a mic up super close to a cab and it just sounds weird and nothing like it does in the room (awesome). Further back it sounds more like the amp to me. But of course I always hear of some of my favorite tones being done extremely close...

As for his tones, I really like the guitar sounds on Parkway Drive - Horizons (I don't care to much for the tones on the earlier Parkway Drive albums.) I also especially like the sound he's got on all the KSE albums, and All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals.

agreed. excellent guitar tones, although I associate these type tones with a 57 pretty close to the speaker to emphasize the excursion of the speaker. and those tones dont sound roomy at all.

The only good results I could ever get with my Framus cab were 2-3 inches back.
that shit always sounded nice and balanced to me.

click to listen

I programmed and tweaked the drums first. Tried to get the same pop out of the snare. Then I threw the DI's through my Randall RM100 into a Maxon OD808. The module in the Randall was the Treadplate module. Maxon was set at noon for every knob cept the tone knob and that was 12:30-1:00ish. Cab was a Mesa 2X12 with a SM57 pointed half on, half off of the cone 6 inches away from where the grill normally is (I keep the grill off, the mesa logo is attached to a bit of wood that hangs out over the speaker and I realized it was finding its way into the recorded sound). I used absolutely nothing on the guitars, no lopass, hipass, multiband compressor, or post eq. The tone might be a little bright but I was dicking with the presence knob a bit before I read the thread and forgot to put it back where I normally have it. Overall, one of the better "naked" tones I've gotten thus far.

I like the tone I got, just proves there are multiple ways to skin a cat. Your thoughts?

ps. I'd be happy to supply the bass and drums stems if anyone wants. Just let me know and I will throw them up if anyone else wants to have a go at it. Ill take everything off of the 2 bus before I bounce them so everyone can do their own thing if you want.