AdamWathan's Reaper Customizations for Pro Tools Users

How well does Reaper deal with outboard gear? In terms of mix use, does it's delay compensation provide phase accuracy to the originals?

I've never used outboard with Reaper but yeah there is a ReaInsert plugin that you just insert in your chain and within the plugin itself you can patch in the hardware, then you can move the plugin wherever you want and the hardware setup is maintained within it. I've never used it but apparently people have mixed results when using a LOT of instances. Most people seem to have no trouble using only a few instances of it though, but again I haven't used it. Best is to try it yourself and see how it works for you.

It's not always faster than realtime. Reaper runs ALL the FX on all the other tracks in the background when rendering a track, just to be safe if there are sends and receives and stuff happening from other tracks, so if you have a big project you have to sit and wait while it renders. Making selections and pasting them to the track folder itself is a lot quicker, especially since using the render method you would have to go through all the take tracks and mute the items you don't like and don't want in the final comp. Either that or you would trim them all to make one cohesive take between them but you would then lose easy visual feedback of how long each take actually was in case you need to go back and find another version of something on a different take.

good call. The whole process of making these modifications and learning them is great, really makes me think about my own workflow

I found a way to quick punch twice. Create a custom command: "transport: record" then "time selection: remove time selection" then your "custom: pt record (quick punch mode)". After you punch out and you know you're well in the clear (this command causes a small gap in the recording), hit the new command and then you're ready to punch in again

I found a way to quick punch twice. Create a custom command: "transport: record" then "time selection: remove time selection" then your "custom: pt record (quick punch mode)". After you punch out and you know you're well in the clear (this command causes a small gap in the recording), hit the new command and then you're ready to punch in again

Clever! I like it! I still really wish we could get this implemented natively in a way that didn't necessitate using like 5 custom actions. If Reaper automatically recorded in the background any armed tracks as soon as you hit play, regular record mode would be perfect.

I been trying to test this, but every time i hit the new command you suggested reaper stops and doesn't start back up again. Just to be clear, do you have all of these functions on one shortcut or did you divide them up?

Is it deliberate that your crossfades are the length of the time selection? This means that you can't batch fade at all and have to be careful how big your selection is. I'm working on an alternative but it's proving very tricky.
To far beyond metal: they're all one command. You can't use the punch in system beyond the point of the last item in your project, which is ok because in a real project you'd never have to

Is this directed at me? I have no idea what you are talking about dude, what crossfades and what time selection?

sorry, should have been more clear. I meant the crossfade action you created allows you to choose the length of the crossfade (as big as the time selection), which means ofc it can't do batch fades. Do you have a way to do batch crossfades? I've been trying to figure out a way but tough going

sorry, should have been more clear. I meant the crossfade action you created allows you to choose the length of the crossfade (as big as the time selection), which means ofc it can't do batch fades. Do you have a way to do batch crossfades? I've been trying to figure out a way but tough going

You mean the action "PT Apply Crossfade"? It is meant to do exactly what it does in Pro Tools, you select an area, run the action and it creates a crossfade in that area. Reaper can sort of batch fade but not really... Vid explaining:

http://screencast.com/t/NDcxOWQ1ZmEt

You mean the action "PT Apply Crossfade"? It is meant to do exactly what it does in Pro Tools, you select an area, run the action and it creates a crossfade in that area. Reaper can sort of batch fade but not really... Vid explaining:

http://screencast.com/t/NDcxOWQ1ZmEt

Hah, damn those are simple compared to my approach. I totally forgot the quantize function exists, I use it so rarely. Thanks for making the vid to explain, it really helped

Hey Adam, nice vids! Glad to see you sorting out Reaper once and for all.
After importing your keymap, "E" is not bound to zoom like you state in your video. When I go to find shortcut in the actions window and hit "E" I'm told: Shortcut defined, but command not found.
Am I missing something?
Also, your colour scheme seems different from the one included in the zip. Mind updating the zip (or sharing that custom colour file)?
If you get a chance, would you mind rendering some of PT's clicks? The metronome in Reaper sounds shit and I'm not happy with any samples I've got.

EDIT: Is CTRL+E (Windows) doing what you want E to do? If so, I'll just remap them. Also, the PT Cut action seems broken, the action doesn't have any cut commands in it at all (it's setting the track timebase).
PT Paste seems to have the cut and paste commands all in the one custom action.
PT Split is screwed up too - it only contains one action; Time Selection: Remove time selection and loop point selection.
I'm sure there's many others that are a bit screwed up - can someone else confirm?

Hey Adam, nice vids! Glad to see you sorting out Reaper once and for all.
After importing your keymap, "E" is not bound to zoom like you state in your video. When I go to find shortcut in the actions window and hit "E" I'm told: Shortcut defined, but command not found.
Am I missing something?
Also, your colour scheme seems different from the one included in the zip. Mind updating the zip (or sharing that custom colour file)?
If you get a chance, would you mind rendering some of PT's clicks? The metronome in Reaper sounds shit and I'm not happy with any samples I've got.

EDIT: Is CTRL+E (Windows) doing what you want E to do? If so, I'll just remap them. Also, the PT Cut action seems broken, the action doesn't have any cut commands in it at all (it's setting the track timebase).
PT Paste seems to have the cut and paste commands all in the one custom action.
PT Split is screwed up too - it only contains one action; Time Selection: Remove time selection and loop point selection.
I'm sure there's many others that are a bit screwed up - can someone else confirm?

Haven't had any of those problems, went smoothly for me

Digitaldeath you need to update your SWS extensions. You're version must be months old if you are missing those actions. Some of them didn't even exist until 2 weeks ago ;)

at least use the one on the zip file I posted, follow the damn instructions! :p

Adam, do you think it would be possible to create a 'pre-customized' version? Perhaps using the Portable install function?

Thanks for all the effort doing this for the community.

Your question piqued my curiosity so I tried it out for myself... Works perfectly :kickass::headbang::Smokin:

Edit: Just realized that I think you were asking for a portable version to be posted. I would post mine but I have made quite a few customizations that I am sure nobody else would care for.

I would do this if I could but since I'm on OS X there is no portable install function. If anyone on Windows is interested in making a portable install, PM me and I'll make sure you've got all the latest versions of the menusets and keymaps and shit, would be cool to have it all as one file.