Add your Master of Illusion reviews here

According to Google's translation :lol: -

If it is not on the leaflet would, I could not believe that Power Quest from the United Kingdom come. Sie klingen eher nach Schweden oder Finnland. They sound more like Sweden or Finland. Ein wenig auch nach Italien, allerdings haben sie deutlich mehr Format als die meisten Melodic Metal Bands von dort. A little after Italy, but they have a lot more size than most Melodic Metal bands from there. Mit Alessio Garavello (Vocals und Gitarre), Drummer Francesco Tresca und Andrea Martongelli an der zweiten Gitarre spielen zumindest drei Italiener in der Formation. With Alessio Garavello (vocals and guitar), drummer Francesco Tresca and Andrea Martongelli at the second to play the guitar at least three Italians in the formation. Von daher hat der erste Höreindruck doch nicht ganz getrügt. So, the first impression is not entirely getrügt. Power Quest bekommen mit diesem Review ihren ersten Metalglory Artikel. PowerQuest get with this review its first Metal Glory article. Das erste Demo sowie die CDs „Wings Of Forever“, „Neverworld“ und „Magic Never Dies“ sind irgendwie an uns vorbeigelaufen. The first demo CD and the "Wings Of Forever," "Never World" and "Magic Never Dies" are somehow to us past. Ich schätze, das ist nicht weiter tragisch, denn sonderlich beeindruckt mich das aktuelle Album „Master Of Illusion“ nicht. I guess this is not a tragedy, because I was particularly impressed current album, "Master of Illusion". Das Teil wurde zumindest teilweise in Italien aufgenommen. The sub was at least partially in Italy. Es durften aber auch noch Studios in Bristol und London herhalten. It could also have studios in Bristol and London excuse. Das klingt nach einem ziemlichen Aufwand, der sich letzten Endes durchaus gelohnt hat, denn der Sound des vierten Power Quest Albums ist recht gelungen. That sounds like a heavy burden, which is ultimately be worthwhile, because of the sound of the fourth Power Quest album is quite successful. Musikalisch bietet der multinationale Fünfer klassische Melodic Metal Kunst mit viel Gefudel und Gegniedel. Musically, the multinational fives Melodic Metal classical art with a lot Gefudel and Gegniedel. Gut gefällt mir, dass die Gitarristen auch im Rhythmusbereich selten die Finger still halten und so mit einigen spannenden Riffattacken glänzen können. Well I like the rhythm guitarist in the area rarely keep their fingers still, and so with some exciting reef attacks shine. Dies und der technisch starke Gesang von Alessio Garavello sorgen dafür, dass ich doch einen Punkt mehr gebe als die eigentlich von mir anvisierte Empfehlung für ausschließlich Genre Fans. This and the strong vocals of technically Alessio Garavello ensure that I had a point there more than I have actually targeted exclusively recommendation for genre fans. Letztendlich ist dieser Musikstill allerdings meines Erachtens völlig überreizt. Ultimately, this music writer but I believe completely overstrung. Und der Gesang ist zwar technisch gut, jedoch wie auch einige der Song für ein Metal Album viel zu brav. And the singing is technically good, but also how some of the song for a metal album too good. Die etwas seltsam anmutenden Lyrics von „Never Again“ oder „Human Machine“ sorgen zusätzlich dafür, dass mir „Master Of Illusion“ nicht so recht munden will. The somewhat strange-sounding lyrics of "Never Again" and "Human Machine" will also ensure that me, "Master Of Illusion" is not quite munden. Ist ein gutes Album geworden, doch mit Sicherheit kein Highlight. Is become a good album, but certainly not a highlight. Anspieltipps: "Civilised?" Anspieltipps: "Civilised?" und "I Don't Believe In Friends Forever". And "I Do not Believe In Friends Forever.

I was just going to post that. Do you need any help with translating it? :p

Thanks for the translation of the German review! I cleaned it up a bit and here it is.
:kickass:

Power Quest (GB) "Master Of Illusion" CD
Review Metalglory.de

Overall rating: above average, 6/10

If it wasn’t mentioned on the leaflet along the CD, I wouldn’t believe Power Quest to be a UK band. They sound more like being from Sweden or Finland. Even a little bit Italian, but they certainly have a higher calibre than most of the melodic bands based there. With Alessio Garavello (vocals & guitar), drummer Francesco Tresca and 2nd guitarist Andrea Martongelli that is 3 Italians being part of the band anyway.
Hence my first hearing impression wasn’t totally wrong. Power Quest just received their first Metalglory review ever. The first demo and previous albums “Wings Of Forever“, “Neverworld“ and “Magic Never Dies“ did somehow not appear on our radar. But then I consider this being a minor issue, as I am not completely feeling over the top about the new album “Master Of Illusion“.

It was partly recorded in Italy. Furthermore studios in Bristol and London were used. That sounds like they put a lot of effort in, which definitely paid off in they end, as they succeeded in presenting their sound very well on their 4th album.
Musically speaking, the multinational 5 piece offers classic melodic metal with a lot of fiddling and shredding. I am particularly fond of the guitarists managing to hardly keep their fingers still in the rhythm section; hence they stand out with some very interesting riff attacks.
This and the fact that Alessio has a strong voice, technically speaking, leads me to finally vote higher the I would usually do for this certain style, which I consider “genre fan only”.

Eventually I believe this type of metal being clearly overrated. Technically the vocals are great, but sound on some songs just too decent. The lyrics of “Never Again” or “Human Machine” appear somehow strange to me and don’t go down very well. Overall it is a good album, but I don’t consider it as a particular highlight.

Favourite tracks: "Civilised?" und "I Don't Believe In Friends Forever".

I had my copy on pre-order from HMV but my absolute dream of a gf unbeknownst to be had preordered a Japanese copy and recent surprised me when she brought it round! I couldn't believe it! At least 5 listens through all the way through and I was ready to write my review. Don't be put off by the size of it, it's a labour of love and METAL!!! I really hope you'll enjoy reading it :headbang:

-----------------------------------------

Power Quest hits the ground running and opens to a fast paced track Cemetery Gates where the keyboard's melody immediately takes precedence and initially for me it gave almost a video game feel to things. The harmonics at the end of the heavier riffs were also new and more than welcome. The track reminds me of Sonata Arctica in it's tempo and keyboard tone but the chorus of voices and the blistering black-finger-nail-polished solo are classic PQ trademarks! What a start, it can't get better than this can it?

Human Machine has teased my ears for the past few weeks and it's just as satisfying in full as the sample was tempting. The simple but mesmerising keyboard riff gives way to a slow and echoy verse which unlike past PQ is heavily accompanied by repeating backing vocals. I wasn't sure if this would work but a few listens through and it really does add to the overall sound of the track especially with the simple but steady pace of the drums throughout. The chorus will have you singing to yourself for a good hour and has that catchy without being cheesy character that wins PQ more and more fans each day! The keyboard solo by Richard West which imitates the guitar's is as gobsmacking in it's technical prowess as it is in it's short length...more please! The lyrics are inspiring as always from Steve Williams, touching on the boundaries between reality and the human condition, and again possess themes of the future from Magic Never Dies which are emphasised by the modest use of 'robotic' voices later on which wrap up the track skilfully.

Civilised? retains the keyboard's tone from Cemetery Gates and the vibrato harmonics that end the guitar's riffs also return. The half chanted lyrics backed up by the machine gun guitars yet again succeed in making me sing along, you just can't help yourself! Surely this will be a great join-in track when they play it live. But wait what's this craziness next? Disjointed and heavily distorted pick scrapes lead in to another paired of 'tar and keys solo which flawlessly blend back in to the melody before the chorus takes us home, aided by a crescendo of guitars. Epic!

Kings of Eternity smacks you right in the face with uplifting Neverworld overtones from the get go, then just as quick as it began you're brought back to earth by the heavier guitar work the band has been promising, it really fits in to the melodic sound so fluently. Prepare for the onslaught of the chorus which is as epic as the title sounds, "Kings of Eternity, nothing left to fear, We are immortal, Kings of Eternityyyyyy!" Alessio cries as we squeal with him. I am strongly reminded of slower "Sacred Land" here, especially in the pitch changes and fantasy lyrics. With reverb fully on, a solo takes you soaring over field, vale and mountainside in your mind's eye, very power metal!

Ah the title track. Every album has one and every one is a shining star of the release. Expect no less this time around with Master of Illusion! Steve's keys again take the listener by the horns with an almost reedy tone accompanied by pounding chords that soon give over to Alessio and some beautiful backing vocals. Watch out for the growling backing vocals of Chris Neighbour in the bridge though! Of particular notice in this track are the spectacular changes in key (3:00) and the time changes (3:24) that keep the track vibrant and exciting at every passing moment with the listener not knowing what will come next, it makes such a difference from the unfortunate predictability of some power metal songs. A magnificent climax of the album.

Duel guitars cannot be far away in a truly good metal track and PQ haven't really given them a lot of attention since Wings of Forever, opening The Vigil with them is a welcome return. Alessio on guitar duty must be paying off! But wait that's not all that's new, who's that sounding like Lordi along side Alessio? It's Chris Neighbour again who surprisingly compliments Alessio really well. Francesco's gets out his bag of speed ( ;) ) and really takes this track to a dizzying height the likes of which Bill Hudsen revels in! So it's no wonder the solo breaks out in true Cellador style, divebombs, a lot of Floyd Rose work and some sweeping shredding, Andrea isn't far behind and certainly gives him a face-melting run for his money - air guitaring in my chair, "This. Is. Metal!" I think!

If you hadn't known Bob Katsionis was appearing on Save the World, you could be forgiven for listening for the Firewind influence. Something you won't expect though are the shared vocals which, with the help of Steve's "angelic voices" chords, lift up this track as a real feel good song. Don't get too comfy though because entering stage right comes some relentless lower string shred before crazy Buckethead sounding wails, screams and scales take this song into fifth gear! After setting course for Mach 5, Bob makes his appearance with a keys solo you wouldn't think possible without growing extra fingers. Thank goodness Steve brings us back down to cruising altitude accompanying Alessio who brings us in to an awkward landing as the track ends in a cacophony of shouts, sirens and crashes reminding us of it's message, that the world needs saving.

What's this? I know this keyboard intro it's "For Evermore" isn't it? Nope, it's Hearts and Voices. Perhaps it is this similarity that fails to grab me like the rest of the album has? But that's not to say it doesn't grab me, it's catchy as hell as the chorus commands us to "Raise your hearts and voices! Raise them now....RAISE THEM!" in a chanting minor key that characterises the sound of the track the same way Edge of Time did for me.

I Don't Believe in Friends Forever highlights a progressive nature of PQ only heard on occasion but deviates from being too avant guarde in the join-in chorus we come to expect and love. Headbanging rhythm guitar reminiscent of Nevermore for me is interspersed throughout the track see to it that the sound is prevented from being a true power ballard - a unique twist that I love.

The last of original PQ songs for now rests with Never Again; a kick in the pants which should have your head banging or my name isn't Power_Metal_Dom! In between the slower group sung choruses we have bursts of guitars, fast, furious and sharp as a razor's edge, this song has a lot of beefy riffage.

"Reckoning Day" (and not "Reckoning Day, Reckoning Night" by Sonata like first thought!) was the opener to Megadeth's landmark album Youthanasia in 1994. Perms were out, speed metal was in and Marty Friedman was making his name. Most metalheads will probably know this album for "À Tout le Monde" but "Reckoning Day" was a close second. You simply can't listen to a cover without listening to the original, so I hit pause and geared up on Megadeth's version first. First thing is to say that it's heavy for PQ but not as heavy as Megadeth. If PQ wanted to go heavy though they couldn't have picked a band that'd do the job better than 'deth, it really is an awesome pick for a cover. The similarity to Mustaine in Alessio's voice here is remarkable and really impresses me here. The E flat tuning is different for PQ but it doesn't stop them for putting their own spin on things, Steve seamlessly taking on some of the licks and the acoustic section for example. Covers have a tendency to fall in to two groups, staying as true as possible to the original style or taking a song and putting a unique sound to it. But there's no half measures with PQ who manage to combine the two without error.

The magic of this album is that it truly straddles the line between different and the same. I speak generally here but when a band announces a new album in every fans mind is the fear that the band will deviate from the sound you know and love but also the excitement of new and different material. This album could not have got the balance more right which when you think about it is an INCREDIBLE achievement. Seriously think about it. Think of your favourite bands and you will inevitably have 1 or even 2 albums in mind which you think the band could have done a better job - a few of Iron Maiden's spring to mind ;) PQ have gone all out on this album to produce something that is distinctly PQ, has classic PQ running all the way through it and yet at the same time sounds so...new! The sound of the album is difficult to nail down, is it Steve's choice of keyboard sound, is it the heavier guitar work, is it the guest instrumentation? No! It's all of these things working together so smoothly you can't help but admire the production value of Mr West and Mr Savio. With this album Power Quest yet again further the judgement I had always had about them...they are one of the few bands INCAPABLE OF MAKING A BAD SONG!

Congratulations guys, absolutely!

9.5/10

Dom....that's an awesome piece my friend! Thanks so much for taking the time to put your comprehensive thoughts down on paper and for giving it a number of spins before passing judgement. That's dedication dude! Glad you like my robotic vocals too! hehe!

Dom....that's an awesome piece my friend! Thanks so much for taking the time to put your comprehensive thoughts down on paper and for giving it a number of spins before passing judgement. That's dedication dude! Glad you like my robotic vocals too! hehe!
What's not to love about you doing robot vox?! It's just everything I've wanted to hear in my life!

No problem Steve you can tell the constant essay writing has paid off! Fact is that jotting down a few paragraphs is a small act of appreciation in light of all the effort PQ has put in to an amazing album! Here's to all the praise it deserves! :kickass:

That was definitely an interesting review to translate. I did my best to make it flowing :Smug:

Here we go:

POWER QUEST - Master Of Illusion

user reviews: very good (5/5) : 2 people

CD-Reviews, written by Martin Bothmann

With Steve Williams (keys) and Steve Scott (bass) departing from Dragonforce, Power Quest saw the light of the day in 2001. And by now “Master of Illusion” is already their 4th album release. The interaction with double guitar acts Andrea Martongelli and Alessio Garavello, who’s also in charge of the vocals, created a band and a concept that seems to work properly. With a high number of positive reviews and solid melodic rock releases, Power Quest managed to reach a high degree in popularity. Straight power metal tunes are satisfying your ears from the very first second. Classical, no surprises, but highly memorable and catchy. Great ear candy and cool melodies prove definitely, that “Master of Illusion” cannot be seen as an “Illusion” only. Fantastic leads, speedy keys, double bass, brilliant song varieties, executing one melodic tune after another.
And it doesn’t matter, whether the guitars or the keys are leading, all melodies are going straight into you ear and stick there. This is exactly how it is supposed to be!
To explain the special power of “Master of Illusion” here comes a very simple example: After the CD took only 2 full spins at my work place, I could hear people in every corner whistling along those melodies. Everyone got hooked immediately and – to make that clear – all of them are NOT into metal at all. I believe this little story tells a lot about a brilliant album with fantastic songs and truly speaks for Power Quest!

Favourite tracks:
Both high flyers: "Human Machine" and "Civilised?",
Fabulous diversified title track: "Master Of Illusion", with extraordinary keys
And: "Save The World", somehow a mixture between "At Vance" and "Freedom Call" .

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Review from EMP editors

http://www.emp.de/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=&article=434925&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=search

These English have a heart for melodramatic lines and deliver a new album. Highly cultivated and on high level Classic Power Metal.

EMP Editorial:

These fiery British musicians have a big heart for huge, melodramatic melodies. Founded in March, 2001, Power Quest deliver their latest studio album. And "Master of Illusion" impressively shows how cultivated and on which quality level Classic Power Metal can still be created after all these years – if you only want it. Since the wonderfully aesthetic and at the same time deeply emotional album was furthermore provided by an expensive killer production bursting with surprises, all technical finesses jump right into your face. Breathtaking is also the fact of how perfectly arranged and performed the instrumental passages come together as a whole. Fans of such successful bands, like e.g. Stratovarius, Angra, Freedom Call and Masterplan will love this giant album. Nothing short of superb. (Markus Eck / 02.04.2008)

Really not impressed by this reviewer ^

When he says of Alessio's singing: "sometimes there could have been just some more power in it" What the hell? :yuk:

"I miss something exciting, some things you don't expect, some thrill" - and you expected a Megadeth cover?

"it is all a little to clean, safe and brave" - I don't think the tone of the guitars or the additional growling vocals are clean/safe at all!

He seems to be a little confused as to what he wants to hear, he clearly approves of melodic power metal and even notes the most fantasy song "KoE" as his favourite but then seems to crave growling vocals. :erk: