Advice On Creating A Home Studio.

Another good reason for using firewire devices rather than UBS devices is Latency. Latency is the time delay sometimes experienced when recording with digital audio workstations (Sonar, cubase, Protools, ect) There will be an inevidble delay between the time you play the notes and the time they are reproduced in your monitors. Now we're only talking about a few miliseconds. But it can be a noticable problem with some setups. This problem will result in tracks that are not as tight as they could be. This can be a real headache. However today's firewire devices communicate in a more efficient fashion, and help to reduce the effects of latency.

It's just something to think about.

all right, erin, dave, taghreed and every other dear friend of mine on this forum, please give some input.

here is what i have bought:

-a senheiser mic - evolution series 600/800, e835 - http://www.sennheiser.com/uk/icm.nsf/root/products_sennheiser_microphones_evolution_800series

- an edirol usb audio interface - http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-1EX/

- xenix 802 mixer - http://www.behringer.com/802/index.cfm?lang=eng

shit, i said it had six channels in the other thread, but it turns out to be 8...thats how ignorant im about recording

right, this is what i have. what do you guys think? remember, i know nothing about recording. the man at the shop said this combination is perfect for a beginner.

thanks arjen, i'll deffo check that site out this weekend. you have a xenyx, eh? dont you have anything else to say about it? you said it's "noisy," you mean background and feedback noise? doesnt that also depend on the quality of the mic and cables, too?

@taghreed: seriously, do you mean what you say? it this equipment good? i have no idea which program i am going to use, maybe you can tell me? would that cubase thing be too hard to begin with? i am planning to invest a lot of time and try to learn this stuff. can you also maybe tell me a book, or an online source for reference?

i plan to set these all up in my own bedroom which is roomy... unfortunately, i dont have a separate, sound-insulated room. maybe you have some suggestions here too?

thanks arjen, i'll deffo check that site out this weekend. you have a xenyx, eh? dont you have anything else to say about it? you said it's "noisy," you mean background and feedback noise? doesnt that also depend on the quality of the mic and cables, too?

@taghreed: seriously, do you mean what you say? it this equipment good? i have no idea which program i am going to use, maybe you can tell me? would that cubase thing be too hard to begin with? i am planning to invest a lot of time and try to learn this stuff. can you also maybe tell me a book, or an online source for reference?

i plan to set these all up in my own bedroom which is roomy... unfortunately, i dont have a separate, sound-insulated room. maybe you have some suggestions here too?

Well, don't know how much I can say about it. I never had problems with the Xenyx, does it's job fine. Every piece of equipment in a recording chain produces some amount of noise (this is indeed the background noise that will be on your final recording), however small that amount may be. Indeed this is also the case for the cables and the microphone. When I say 'noisy' I mean: noisy in comparison to other (more expensive) products. The only reason you need the mixer is to have a cheap pre-amp for your mic. The prices of professional pre-amps can exceed several thousands of dollars, there's always something that's better you know. The cheaper stuff is fine to start with though, my setup is not that expensive either, but I have learned loads about recording in the meantime.

The program I use myself is Cubase SX3. As a tip, there are 3 tutorial DVD's about this program made by ASK Video, starting at beginner level, ending at expert stuff. They really helped me out. In general, you can find a lot of stuff about home recording if you use Google. It will take a while to get the hang of Cubase, but if you're willing to invest the time, I think it's a good choice. If you start out with a more basic program you will eventually have to switch to a more professional program.

If you want to start with something a little simpler, you could try Adobe Audition, you can make multitrack recordings with it and have real-time effects, which is probably all you need right now. I don't have experience with any other program, maybe people here have other tips.

I don't think you have to worry about your room untill you want to get your recordings to a more professional level. There are methods to threat your room with things like basstraps, but this can be quite costy. I would just set up your stuff and experiment with it, and have fun!

For recording guitar, a good tip is the T-Bone RM 700, this is a ribon microphone which is really great. A kind of vintage feel but it can fits also to metal sounds, it's warmer and thicker than a SM57 for example.

About software, I can't help myself to talk about Magix. The first prices like Music Studio 2008 is fantastic to begin, and then you can switch to Samplitude Pro.

It's pretty discouraging to start out with a recording studio or system. I've been saving up some cash recently but purchased nothing because I'm a bit nervous or scared on what to buy. I've just refurbed my laptop so it has a gig of RAM, but I'm just hoping that this laptop will serve me well in what I need. I've been thinking about buying a mac, but still again, very hesitant because I want to invest my money wisely. I've been thinking about going with an Mbox into my laptop and connecting a mixer to the mbox just so I have a bit more control/versatility. I think the only real problems/inquiries I really have is in regards to mixing/reamping/impulses. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks in advance!

lots of good advice so far
i would say if you are spending that sort of money make sure the house and location is right then see if there is a studio designer who can advise as you dont want to make the mistakes we all seem to when setting out. the music course is good, but do leave pleas=nty of money for good monitors suitable to the room you have and some good sound proofing and treatment.
Normal hifi speakers will not do but you dont have to spend a fortune, in fact having some larger full range monitors and some smaller nearfields will help balance the sound as they each serve different purposes. to my mind adam, pmc amd atc all make good monitors, crown make great reliable amps and so do bryston. you will need good preamps mics and a good desk as it makes routing things easier if you intend to use the studio with other maybe fee paying clients eventually. a good quad core computer helps and a very good sound card ie rme and some sequencing software, i have used cubase sx3 but cubase 4 is i think cleaner sounding, logic and pro tools are ment to be good but i have no experience with them, also good idea to have some air conditioning as france gets way hot in the summer and hot people make poor decisions and often poor performances.
live is differnt

have a good evening
pd sound on sound mag and future music are really good mags very informative also lots of help online, you may want to seek out a pro sound engineer mag as they have a more honest set of reviews as its pros talking to pros and they dont want to get flamed
good luck a lifetime of discovery awaits:headbang:

by the way RME are very helpful people in my experience and so a are m audioand PMC all have helped me in the past. PMC tb2i i think are the latest version of my speakers in the listening room but i track with some cheaper monitors incase i fry a tweeter or push the bass frequencys a bit hard. Larger pmc speakers with bryson power packs will make good full range ish monitors i think its the OB1 or latest version, they like ATC or ADAM will provide a custome installation of a monitoring system suited to your needs and room.
have fun