advice on guitar tone needed

Vuts

Jul 14, 2005
Athens, Greece
www.fourwalls.gr
Hi you all

Quick question - i have a recording session tommorow - i ll be recording guitars for a thrash/hardcore band
we ll use a couple of Engl amps, Akg 414, s57
Any suggestions on setup or different mics to use will be great since i have some time to make changes :

we are going for a guitar tone like "blood red thrown" or "bloodbath" bands

thnx :wave:

The BBE Sonic Maximizer will be your best friend. The best results I got in cloning a Bloodbath like sound was with just saturating the tone with Sonic Maximizer and boosting various ranges of high end to add those crazy harmonic overtones.

I completely disagree with the Sonic Maximizer suggestion. Those tones that you mentioned are entirely doable without any cheesy processor. Every recorded tone I've heard with that thing has sounded phasey and plastic. I'd go for a 57 in the middle of the cone, on axis(not a big fan of off axis SM57's unless they're paired with an on axis one), the 414 off axis or on a second speaker. I personally don't usually use a 414 on guitars, but have gotten a good sound out of them for that purpose once or twice. I prefer a MD421 paired with a 57, and maybe a U87 or TLM127 on a second speaker. If you do use the 414 though, I'd suggest adding a little around 1-2k, and using the built in pad. At the start, pick up the 57 and sweep the best sounding speaker with it(with headphones on). Once you find it, leave it there, and then take your second mic and do the same thing, only this time with the phase reversed. Listen to that signal with the original 57 signal till you really start to hear a lot of phase issues(lots of cancellation, weird or no bass, etc.). Then, take the phase reverse off, and you'll more than likely have two very useable tones. Of course, if you have a Little Labs IBP, just use that and find the best tone with the second mic soloed, then add the 57 in. There will be phase issues, so then just turn the knob on the IBP till you've got it. Have fun.

I have to agree with Exanguis, Moonlapse.
I followed your advice and checked out the BBE Sonic Maximizer
It really did make the sound a bit plastic
Anyway - i didnt spend a lot of time with it cause time in the studio is money
The sound came out good in the end

Thnx