Afi

AFI's latest has what... 12 tracks? It's also only like 40 minutes. Mardraum from Enslaved has either 11 or 12 (I forget) and a runtime of around 60 minutes. By your retarded criteria, wouldn't that make them a better band?

Who cares how many songs there are and how long they are if they are all well written and the album is over 30 minutes? Any shorter and it's kind of a shame, I prefer around 50 minutes for an album... but regardless, number of riffs and songs doesn't imply greatness in great amounts.

LuminousAether said:
AFI's latest has what... 12 tracks? It's also only like 40 minutes. Mardraum from Enslaved has either 11 or 12 (I forget) and a runtime of around 60 minutes. By your retarded criteria, wouldn't that make them a better band?

Who cares how many songs there are and how long they are if they are all well written and the album is over 30 minutes? Any shorter and it's kind of a shame, I prefer around 50 minutes for an album... but regardless, number of riffs and songs doesn't imply greatness in great amounts.

reign in blood is 28 minutes. I'm just saying it's easier to write a longer song like a ten minute song than it would be to write two 5 minute songs, that's all. So, the shorter your songs are(2-3 mins long), and you have tons of them, the harder it is to write them.

Listener1254 said:
reign in blood is 28 minutes. I'm just saying it's easier to write a longer song like a ten minute song than it would be to write two 5 minute songs, that's all. So, the shorter your songs are(around 2-3 mins), and you have tons of them, the harder it is to write them.

LuminousAether said:
Reign in Blood sucks too.

But my point is it's easier to write a longer song that is ten minutes long than it is to write two 5 minute ones. or writing a 5 minute song as opposed to 2 two and a half minute songs. the 5 minute song is an idea expanded upon for 5 minutes whereas the 2 shorter songs are 2 ideas expanded upon for 2:30 each. I bet bands make longer songs because they don't wanna think of a bunch of short ones cause that would require too much lyrical thinking, but punk bands seem to do this no problem at all but metal bands don't.

Quality over quantity. Sing the sorrow is quality, to me anyway, so I couldnt care if it was 10 minutes long, I love the album :)

Very proud of ya is still their best though. Most songs are like 1:30 minutes long, 20 tracks

Most punk bands recycle the same idea song after song album after album. Bad Religion are a prime example of this. Once you've heard one of their songs, you've heard most of them. Some punk bands like Fugazi and Refused play very different styles and have a lot of intertrack variety, but that's not the norm. Metal suffers from much of the same problem. And who says one song only has one idea?