Nordin vs Lopez

There are a number of issues to consider in this discussion. It's probably interesting to consider that for Still Life, it took two weeks or something to record just the drums, though I guess lack of rehearsal was a big issue for this. And on Orchid, they they did the whole album in about the same amount of ime or less, if I am not mistaken.

In an instance like this, I would think that Orchid would have very well worked out drum patterns (from the endless practicing), whereas I would think that SL or MAYH would be possibly less varied and perhaps not as well executed. However, I still tend to find the drumming of Lopez to be more interesting to these ears.

"Nordin in my opinion is much better at using hi-hats then Lopez, his creativity with the hi-hat is possibly his most creative aspect"

Yea right mate!

only cos the fucking hi-hats were so high in the damn mix!

"Also, Lopez is very skilled with the toms, he can bash each one really fast in succession making a machine-gun style pounding noise"

HAHAHAHAHA willy head!

you have NO idea about drums!

oh and Nordin is NOT a JAZZ DRUMMER!

what the fuck! how can anyone think this maaaan, his style is so ridgid thus going against the common perception of the jazz drummer being very free flowing...

Jazz drummers,

Billy Cobham
Lenny White
Lionel Cordew
Brian Blade
Sean Reineart(IMO)

these are what you call JAZZ DRUMMERS!

fooooooooooooooooooools

Has anyone heard the Amon Amarth album "One Sent From The Golden Hall", Martin Lopez recorded the drums on that album, very extreme drumming.

There is no suprise to me on the brilliance of the drumming on Deliverance and other albums, espcially when it comes to the faster parts...

Originally posted by rustymetal
Now I wanna hear Juuso's view - and ante's view wouldn't go amiss either... :D

Hehe. :)

I am biased, so I'm not going to start blaring out my opinions and expect the rest of you to agree with me or sod off (like quite a few here seem to do).

That being said; I like Nordin's style a lot more. The drum parts from Orchid and Morningrise are fun and interesting to play almost all the time, whereas White Cluster (for example) only has a few short interesting parts. Lopez is skilled for sure, there's no denying that, but I agree with whoever said that his drumming on Blackwater Park is incredibly boring. I like the stuff he does on Deliverance.

Lopez does play similar simple beats on a lot of BWP, but it fits fine and he does enough interesting stuff to keep me happy. The drums were more in the back and measured on that album. Some stuff was really nice though, like.. most of Leper Affinity, the middle parts in Funeral Portrait, and that part in Drapery after the weird section when the beat gets more aggressive with each vocal line until it gets to the acoustic break.

I haven't heard Deliverance yet, and I might say Lopez is better, but Nordin is magical anyway. Orchid and Morningrise have a lot of drum hooks that stick in my head. Pun, sorry.

Skill level i rate Lopez as more solid and probably alround better, though i wouldnt really know since im no drummer.

Writing wise, well.. Nordin took riffs in ways i didnt expect and added to the riffs. Lopez plays exactly what i expect, its tight, its interesting, its well done, but its predictable in most cases, to my ears at least.

I care more about writing than about playing, so i go with Nordin.

I think that Lopez is a better laid-back drummer than Nordin is a metal drummer.

Let me explain.

It sounds as though we all concede two facts:

[1]: Nordin is the better laid-back, mellow drummer
[2]: Lopez is the better straight-forward metal drummer

But, the determining factor lies in which has the lesser weakness. In my opinion, I think that Lopez's mellow growth over the albums [including Deliverance] has been great. Granted, there may have been boring parts, but I think that may have to do with the fact that he was not used to being mellow. [shrugs]

Nordin was a good drummer in his own right, but showed no growth. Orchid was his highlight and it only went downhill [though, not far] from there. His truly metal flourishes seemed a bit tedious and uninspired. I mean, this is all just personal opinion, so there will be others that disagree.

Maybe I'm biased because I've heard Deliverance. What it comes down to is that, in my opinion, Deliverance has the best drum performance in Opeth history, and from listening to it over and over, I just can't see Nordin being able to do it. Lopez blows through the double bass -AND- turns on the mellowness in the softer parts. I just think that the drummer Lopez is on Deliverance is better than the drummer Nordin was on any album.

[shrugs]

Originally posted by Fyhed
"Nordin in my opinion is much better at using hi-hats then Lopez, his creativity with the hi-hat is possibly his most creative aspect"
you have NO idea about drums!

Bullshit. If theres anything I know in life its drums, there my one great passion...I respect you have an opinion but if you want to be an asshole when giving it then get fucked. I have no desire to discuss anything with such a knob-knocker.

Asshole.

I took a long hard listen to MAYH, Still Lifes and BWP's drumming and than Orchid and Morningrise. The hi-hats are higher in the mix in the first two but I'm still of the opinion that Nordin uses them much better than Lopez has in the past. There is nothing special at all about Lopez's use of hi-hats, what is special is his use of the crash and symbols...NOT hi-hats.

I agree Elysian that Nordins performance went downhill, he was best on Orchid. Morningrise wasn't so good.

(edit: I wouldn't call Nordin more mellow, he was better in the mellow parts, but his double kick technique meant he could be as effective aggressively)

Thinking about it a bit more I would definately go with Nordin excluding Deliverance. I think he was a lot more interesting, mainly going on Orchid)

There's no telling what Nordin could do today. He played actively six years ago and hasn't played since.. I think it's silly to compare two drummers by asking "could he do that?"

I haven't asked that at least. Its not something worth trying to figure out. I think people are more trying to decide which is preferred from what they've done.

I think...

Originally posted by Orchid
Hehe. :)

The drum parts from Orchid and Morningrise are fun and interesting to play almost all the time, whereas White Cluster (for example) only has a few short interesting parts. Lopez is skilled for sure, there's no denying that, but I agree with whoever said that his drumming on Blackwater Park is incredibly boring. I like the stuff he does on Deliverance.

You've read my mind.