Agalloch-The Mantel

That's a really good question. At seperate points, I have considered each one their best. It really depends on your taste.

Right now, I prefer the Mantle. It is less flawed, but it is much less electric...mostly acoustic, lots of instrumentals, but incredible rich instrumentation and beautiful songwriting. I actually listened to it a few hours ago all the way though. It's purely haunting. :) If you don't have it, I would strongly recommend you pick it up.

I conducted a poll on the Agalloch releases a few weeks ago, and it was something like 20 to 22...split right down the middle as to which album was better. If you like Pale Folklore, you can't go wrong with the Mantle, and vice versa.

The Mantle owns my soul. The key differences would be the increased use of wooden acoustic guitars and languid clean vocals and the ethereal yet earthbound instrumentals, that combined with the hynpotic patterns present on Pale Folklore, create the perfect forested atmosphere, simultaneously barren and majestic...

Well what Demonspell said the increased usage of wooden acoustic guitars is going to lure me in. I was going to buy it anyway because i love Pale Folklore so much. But ive read lots of mixed reviews of this album so i didnt know quite what to think.

I prefer The Mantle myself, it's such a brilliant, almost perfect album. I haven't given Pale Folklore much of a chance yet though, I've only listened to She Painted Fire Across The Skyline a lot. I should give it a shot now that I've played the HELL out of The Mantle.

Powerslave said:
I prefer The Mantle myself, it's such a brilliant, almost perfect album. I haven't given Pale Folklore much of a chance yet though, I've only listened to She Painted Fire Across The Skyline a lot. I should give it a shot now that I've played the HELL out of The Mantle.
I was the same way for a while, but then I gave all of P.F. a chance and was blown away! I like the rest of the album much more than "She Painted Fire...". I actually liked it more than the Mantle for a long while.

I have them both and although Pale Folklore is quite good, Agalloch hit their stride with The Mantle. I wonder if it had anything to do with the absence of one of the guitarist on Pale Folklore.

The Mantle ~ One of my all-time favorite cds.

i like the mantle more as well... just because I am more a fan of nice acoustic passages, experimentation with different instruments and stuff like that. It's a great musical experience as a whole...

Demonspell said:
The Mantle owns my soul. The key differences would be the increased use of wooden acoustic guitars and languid clean vocals and the ethereal yet earthbound instrumentals, that combined with the hynpotic patterns present on Pale Folklore, create the perfect forested atmosphere, simultaneously barren and majestic...

That's true. The Mantle also has better production and is more coherent. I love Pale Folklore, but The Mantle is the better record, IMO.

At first I didn't like Mantle too much. It was boring to me. And for this reason: There isn't a lot of variations and actual changes in the music, in the melodies, from song to song and within the songs. My first impression was like: "Man, this is the kind of music a kid can compose and improvise off of playing the same narrow family of chords over and over again."

In a way, I'm right. But, long story short, it grows on you. I've learned that a lot of what Agalloch do are deliberate and subtle and it's from these subtlties and nuances of sound that a sort of beauty emerges. I'm really glad I bought the album. The End.

Xtokalon said:
At first I didn't like Mantle too much. It was boring to me. And for this reason: There isn't a lot of variations and actual changes in the music, in the melodies, from song to song and within the songs. My first impression was like: "Man, this is the kind of music a kid can compose and improvise off of playing the same narrow family of chords over and over again."

Funny, I think quite the opposite is true.

Beast In Flames said:
Funny, I think quite the opposite is true.

You can elaborate, or you can drop one-liners and leave me hanging.. The choice is yours. I'm down for a music discussion, even if it's at best pseudo-musicological.