Agalloch

Agalloch is a criminally overlooked band. They are nothing like Opeth, just look at the liner notes to The Mantle and see how many instruments they use. Then listen to The Lodge, in which they actually bang on antlers with a stick. Another good example is A Desolation Song, which I think only uses an accordion and acoustic guitar, whose lyrics about sitting in a cabin and drinking are all whispered. Opeth has certainly never done anything like that. I'll admit it took me a while to get into the Mantle, but it was really rewarding. Some of the riffs seem pretty repetitive at first, but after a while that doesn't seem the case; you start to notice new things and the song takes on a newer light. I guess a lot of bands are like that though.

the sound nothing like Opeth, the only real similarity is the emphasis on nature themes. I don't know who came up with that comparision but every interviewer seems to piss of Haughm when they say it and he has good reason to dislike it. If anything they sound like old Katatonia but thats just the heavy guitar style.

It is very philosphically deep music, more like Godspeed You Black Emperor! meets black metal than anything else...and I love it. It's not catchy and they take their time in evolving the songs but to me every bit is worth it.

and I listen to it in my car all the time as I find it to be wonderful driving music. What is with the idea that you can only listen to fast loud stuff in a car?

Yngwie's first name is pronounced "Ing-Vay."

As for Agalloch, they are an excellent band. I don't find much that's similar to Opeth, except that they mix heavy and soft music, which many bands do.

Ingvay.. bah.. he just foofed up his name... I do believe it would be Yngve if he used proper Swedish spelling... I can't imagine Yngwie coming from Scandinavia so.. heh

I won't bother typing out how you pronounce it. too lazy right now..

and Agalloch are yummy¨

When I first heard The Mantle I was really surprised.... they are in no way an Opeth clone, the music sounds nothing alike! Just because you have long songs and many acoustic parts does not mean you are a clone. Or even sound similar.