Akercoke!

Cliche Kid

Not a goth kid
Jan 23, 2006
Just wondering if anyone here listens to Akercocke? I'm not normally one for death/black metal (Katatonia, Opeth, Nevermore, Neurosis, SOAD, Jeff Buckley is my norm) but a friend of mine lent me "Words that go Unspoken, Deeds that go undone" by Akercocke.

THIS ALBUM IS AMAZING! I would definately recomend it to any Katatonia fan who does not mind death/black/thrash. The album is equally weighted in these elements and some slow, haunting pieces that I find very similar to early katatonia (BMD/DO). The clean vocals are very droney, slow and haunting which makes for some of the most beautiful clean vocals I have ever heard.

Discuss!

Cliche.

I believe the correct spelling is Akercocke, and if I may be so bold to say that you should go get some real black metal, such as I.C.E. or Emperor... you're doing a bit of sucking on Akercocke [pun intended] :D

Akercocke is kinda in their own little world, so I'd say that it's a bit unfair to call a band better than them unless they're doing something really similar to what they're doing, which no one that I know of is. Not that Emperor isn't an absolutely amazing band and totally worth checking out, by any means. I like them way more than Akercocke. But Akercocke is pretty cool and doing some interesting things.

You may be in for a surprise if you get their earlier albums, since "Words That Go Unspoken..." is probably their most experimental and accessible in terms of straying from the black/death metal norm. I can hear a distinct progression in their albums (except from "Rape of the Bastard Nazarene," which I haven't heard), so if you really dig "Words..." you might just go in reverse-chronological order and get "Choronzon" and then "Goat of Mendes."

Lokundo said:
Akercocke is kinda in their own little world, so I'd say that it's a bit unfair to call a band better than them unless they're doing something really similar to what they're doing, which no one that I know of is. Not that Emperor isn't an absolutely amazing band and totally worth checking out, by any means. I like them way more than Akercocke. But Akercocke is pretty cool and doing some interesting things.

You may be in for a surprise if you get their earlier albums, since "Words That Go Unspoken..." is probably their most experimental and accessible in terms of straying from the black/death metal norm. I can hear a distinct progression in their albums (except from "Rape of the Bastard Nazarene," which I haven't heard), so if you really dig "Words..." you might just go in reverse-chronological order and get "Choronzon" and then "Goat of Mendes."

Yea, I can't disagree with your first paragraph :)

Jinn said:
Yea, I can't disagree with your first paragraph :)

Well dude, how could you?:p Emperor is the most aptly named band ever. They're like Jesus in black metal form. Ihsahn's new solo record is good and all, but I really wish Emperor proper would come back!

Akercocke... there's an interesting one. I remember when 'Choronzon' came out, everyone (Kerrang included) completely ejaculated over it and said it was the best thing in all existance ever. Now, I had learned to become wary of reviews after the Mithras incident *shudders*, so I didn't rush out and buy it. HOWEVER, I entered my local Virgin Megastores, and there it was, with the wrong price tag on (£7.99... if they tag it wrong, they're compelled by law to sell it to me for the price it's tagged at). Bargain, I thought. So, I popped it on.... and, 'Leviathan' aside, I didn't really dig it.
And so it was for a long time. I thought it was ok, but not great. So, it was with reluctance that I borrowed 'Words...' from a friend when it came out. But BOY, did it not disappoint! Inventive, harsh, precise, crisp, it was an altogether superior effort to Choronzon. Hard to fault the record, really. I mean, Mendonca CAN grate a little I guess, but he's generally very impressive. And David Gray is just a machine.

LOVES IT!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Cerulean said:
I really wish Immortal would come back.
A new Immortal interview from a german magazine reveals this good news for black metal .......

What would a band’s split be without all the rumours that it may continue at some time? Just boring, right! Also, Immortal were already presumed some months ago to be working on a comeback. Is the newly advertised project ‘I’ perhaps only a pseudonym, for a clever trick? Front man Abbath talks straight.

“‘I’ and Immortal are two different stories, to make that clear, once and for all’, it [Abbath’s voice] croaks out of the phone. “At present I’m rehearsing nearly daily with Armagedda, and Demonaz has already written lyrics for seven songs. We will most probably begin with the recording for the ‘I’ debut this year.”

The fire seems to be burning anew.

“More than that. I am composing hard and intensive, as I didn’t in the later years. The time out has done me good, my head is clear, my liver is working perfectly again; I’m feeling totally recovered and ready for attack.”

Then that’s the end of the premature retirement?

“I think of it like Ozzy. His tour in 1995 was called ‘Retirement Sucks’. A good motto, I think.”

So then an Immortal reunion is no longer out of the question?

“No!”

Pardon?

“I didn’t really want to say it, but I don’t give a shit. We will come back, stronger than ever. I’ve met with Horgh for the first time in over a year. He’s built his new house here, right around the corner. In the next few days we will begin to rehearse our old ‘Blizzard Beasts’ classics. I’m already really hot on the idea.”

And you’re certain we should print that? Then there’s no way back…

“I’m a little out of practice, this being my first interview in two years. But somehow feeling good, that it’s out now. I’m mostly glad for our fans.”

The petty cash rattling should be good again also.

“Don’t say that! To clear that up: we’re not coming back for the money. If we had been going for the cash, we wouldn’t have allowed Immortal to split”

Then only the date is missing.

“Immortal are timeless frost. One year more or less doesn’t make a difference. We have all the time in the world.”