"Akerfeldt can't sing and he has a bad technique"

Well I think hes not the best...but he is good, but he produces it wrong!

Just listen to "still day..."

Steven Wilson is better... but Mike is Opeth soo he will always sing the clean stuff which he usually does well.

Just accept the guys opinion and shutup.

Who cares what he thinks, seriously?

Opinions are right for their creators.

He is right, Mikael can't sing, in his eyes.

Accept it. Move on.

The Opeth Board: When Rabid Fanboys Attack...

Mr. Niel-
People on message boards that don't know what they're talking about...can you believe it?

:lol: No doubt. :lol: I have to say...it's obvious, if you read it over, Mezarkabul misunderstood the direction in Deadlift's post and thought he was talking directly to him. :lol: Now that's funny.

Mezarkabul-
Me? I shall leave this forum? LOL, did you even read my post?

Did you read theirs? Anyhow, I think that guy on the BG forum is just jealous his favorite band doesn't sound so good and he's just making shit up now. vibrato sucks :rolleyes:

I personally get more emotion from singing which is a bit imperfect, maybe breaks up a bit. But there is a fine line, the main things i care about in a vocalist are the tone of voice (a midrange or deep voice, not nasaly or anything) and whether they can hold notes (they dont even have to hit the exact right notes, but if a voice wavers around, or has to rise or drop to the right note every time then i hate it).

Mikael is probably my favourite vocalist for his clean voice, i love the way he sings, was the thing that immediately attracted me to opeth. Its midrange, he hold clean notes, his voice sometimes breaks up and he varies the strength of voice appropriately, and for the most part the vocal melodies are closely connected to the actual lyrics (something i get pretty fussy about these days, i dislike when the lyrics and vocal melodies sound completeyl unrelated, something a lot of progmetal doesnt do well at).

And i love quite a few singers that arent so good. Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits basically just mutters into the microphone, but i really like it, far more than i like vibrato stuff.

But the point is, all of this is just subjective preference. Mikael isnt a perfect singer, he doesnt do all the techniques, and he wouldnt be what a lot of people do want from a singer. Completely understandable, no need to be offended by it. I havent bothered reading the thread, but the only problem would be if the guy was somehow claiming that the lack of vibrato and such meant that you and me shouldnt like it.

i think its The Funeral Portrait... or Dirge For November (i don't play these songs much, so im not sure i know its one of them though) - but it starts off with mikael singing cleanly then the acoustic guitar comes in.... i'd say he technically falls off key a lot during that intro alone. but it doesn't matter, he's not a trained singer or anything, and he tried.

still a great vocalist nonetheless

Originally posted by TheBigJones47
wow, i read all the posts from that little deadnight warrior dude... people like this are going to land me in jail someday, i swear it. "his pitch control is terrible and he has no vibrato"... unbelievable. if any of you have listened to a clean singing section of an Opeth song and heard Mike "miss" a note, please please please tell me where. i don't see (hear, rather) it happening. to suggest, like this little guy does, that he has bad technique is without a doubt the most foolhardy statement i've heard this month. and i'm in college, around college kids all day, so that's saying a LOT. i have no idea who he's listening to that he's mistaking for Opeth if he thinks the vocalist is not talented/misses notes/can't sing technically, etc. ... absolutely absurd.
I think Mikael's voice isn't that good on the first two albums. I remember the part in "Black rose immortal" where he just sings alone with no music and sounds pretty much out of tune to me, so there's one example!
But anyway, if that guy think Mikael sings crappy, he thinks he sings crappy and there's not really more I can say about that. Some people think Christina Aguilera sings great, I just think she's a mediocre singer. Some people thinks Mariah Carey is a fantastic singer and although she has a vocal range of 5 octaves, which is impressive I still think she sings crappy! Or at least she's started to, as she now sings in same key on all the songs I've heard by her from the last 5 years or such.
It's all a matter of taste and there's nothing more I can say about that!

i think mikael's voice is great and tried hard since still life and bwp. now he growls like a god (also hear bloodbath) and his clean voals... if mikael can't sing, noone can in my eyes.

NP: Katatonia - Distrust

Why do you insist on posting such threads as this in a forum full of fanboys of the said band? Are you trying to get justification for your opinion or what? Because it certainly seems like that sicne this forum isn't really the best place for this kind of threads if you really want to hear objective judgements which would justify your opinion.

Personally, while I don't care for Opeth's later works, I do think that Åkerfeldt is quite good a singer. Perhaps not technically (don't know much about that) but his voice does fit into the songs.

i think that the problem here is a matter of taste...if people who enjoy blind guardian don't like growls, fuck 'em all...

there's any relationship between growls and fellings,...growls and clean voice can do it very well...

listen to cradle of filth's dusk and her embrace...the lyrics are so romantic and the way dani sings is perfect...very emotive!

well, yeah, i don't think that mikael has techniques to sing...i don't see nothing special in his voice, but it's good, i love his clean and dirty voice and that's what counts...

I like his older growls better. Slightly more blackish if you know what i mean. Not that I prefer black vocals, just slightly more blackish. I like the more stretched out growls over the cut short growls. Its still all good stuff though.

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
i think that the problem here is a matter of taste...if people who enjoy blind guardian don't like growls, fuck 'em all...

there's any relationship between growls and fellings,...growls and clean voice can do it very well...

listen to cradle of filth's dusk and her embrace...the lyrics are so romantic and the way dani sings is perfect...very emotive!

Next time, read with more thought. The question at hand is not whether growls are good or not but about Åkerfeldt's clean vocals.

And Dani Filth on general sucks in vocals. One of the worst screechers ever.

I love Akerfledt's singing..His death grwols are very "clean" and emotive, and his clean vocal harmonies improve with each release..Some power metal singers are good my fave being Warrel Dane (Never More) but Mike's (opeth) clean vocals show excellent tone and pitch becuase he is singing in his clean vocals and not screaming..Akerfeldt's death vocals are amazing, just so powerful and emotive, that's why I like opeth..Hails..-l-

Originally posted by MacMoney
Why do you insist on posting such threads as this in a forum full of fanboys of the said band? Are you trying to get justification for your opinion or what? Because it certainly seems like that sicne this forum isn't really the best place for this kind of threads if you really want to hear objective judgements which would justify your opinion.

Personally, while I don't care for Opeth's later works, I do think that Åkerfeldt is quite good a singer. Perhaps not technically (don't know much about that) but his voice does fit into the songs.
I posted this because I wanted other Opeth fans to read it and have a good laugh. Why are you annoyed by it anyway? I am free to post anything anywhere I want.

NP: Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers

Hey dude I know that opera is a style of singing that requires intense training and dedication, is bloody hard, and is out of the reach of all but the best-trained singers.

But I still think it sounds shit.

I don't really care about Michael's technical ability, however as a singer (i.e. a capella groups and choirs) I can tell you that he is good. Some of the clean tones he uses on Orchid are slightly awkward but hey he matured, early work is typically unpolished.

I think people harping on about his clean inadequacies is bloody stupid, cuz he isn't that bad.