Album #5

Am really psyched about this album: have loved every PQ album from the debut on, and LOVE chitty as a vocalist, its a dream combo in my opinion!:headbang:

Just back from err...well, I just got outta bed, but I figured I'd stick with the trend :p Good stuff on Felipe and great news about the pre-production :D

Do you record pilots for every band member to work with in the studio? Been wondering, cos end of summer/start of fall me and my band will hit the studio and we're gonna try to record an EP or short album in literally a few days, so we'll need to work fast. Trying to figure out if recording a rough pilot will speed up the work, especially on laying down the drums and bass at first. Guitars shouldn't be much of a problem after that.

The way we have always worked is to have a tempo map for each song before hand and a guide keyboard track for each song to get the rhythm section on their way. Actually we always record drums, then guitars, then bass.......seems to work for us that way.

You could always use a guide guitar track instead of the keys....we do it the way we do because often the keyboards lead the way with the hooks and it's easier for everyone right at the start of the recording.

Good luck with your recording when it comes to the time. 4 or 5 songs I'm guessing?

hi steve, really interesting to know the process - may i ask a couple of questions? just curiosity... :p

do you have a achedule you stick to? do you have all the songs already written or do things happen on the way? do the songs change somehow during the process?

Good luck with your recording when it comes to the time. 4 or 5 songs I'm guessing?

We're aiming for 5 songs in total, with anything over that being a big plus. We got 8-9 songs ready, and we're just going to be recording as much as we can in three days time, and then mixing and mastering (done for free by the guy who owns the studio :D). We won a day in the studio at a local festival and we've made enough money with gigs to buy an extra three. We'll be rehearsing our asses off so we can hopefully nail the songs as fast as possible.

We'll be making long days for sure, starting around 6am and not stopping till late in the evening.

We'll prolly be using a guide guitar track, like you suggested, with some computer drums to start off with as well.

It's our very first recording session, so we're pretty excited :D

@Christabel: thanks :p :headbang:

Generally speaking there is a schedule of sorts. This time is actually going to be more scheduled than in the past as the 5/6 UK line up has the opportunity to rehearse and hone the songs way more than previous line ups had. Previously we did often make a lot of changes in the studio but one thing I never do is actually write material while we are recording. I like to have as much ready and tested before we get there.

Of course, economics play a part in this as well. Particularly at the moment as labels are tightening belts regarding budgets for recording.

Talking of economics, there will be an announcement about this next week but I will give you the heads up now.....

I have decided, after discussions with label, manager and band members to delay recording the album until September. This gives us an extra 2 months to rehearse the material which will cut down the recording costs. I've also decided to record here in the UK and not in Italy...again for financial reasons, in an effort to maximise the money available to spend on the studio rather than extra travel costs etc.

Apologies for the delay, but the economics of the situation forced my hand on this occasion.

Totally understandable, Steve, we know it's a pain dealing with the costs. No worries in delaying it a little while!