Album of the Year

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Well, so far anyway....

Moonsorrow - Kivenkentaja

Markgugs is going to do the review, and I have no idea what he thinks of it, but I'll be surprised if this does not make my top ten list of 2003 come December 31st.

What about you guys? Any real standout albums of the year so far?

I like Voimasta better when it comes to Moonsorrow.

So far, I'd say Aborym- WIth No Human Intervention with Negura Bunget- n' crugu bradului pulling in a close second.

That being said, I am expecting the new Devin Townsend, Bathory, and Cult of Luna.

Puh--lease what? Just 'cause it went right over your head, doesn't mean someone else can't like it. :cool:

Dreamlord said:
Puh--lease what? Just 'cause it went right over your head, doesn't mean someone else can't like it. :cool:

I love how if someone doesn't like something, you assume "it went over their heads." Like I'm not intelligent enough to comprehend the music..

In actuality, the unprofessional approach of releasing an inferior product with defects doesn't impress me.

Especially considering how much better their first two albums are. And can you honestly defend a piece of shit "song" (and I use the word lightly) like Chernobyl Generation?

Geez, next you'll be telling me that the Kovenant is the goundbreaking band of the decade....

Papa Josh said:
I love how if someone doesn't like something, you assume "it went over their heads." Like I'm not intelligent enough to comprehend the music..
It's OK, not many can comprehend Aborym.
In actuality, the unprofessional approach of releasing an inferior product with defects doesn't impress me.
I just have the promo, so I can't comment on the actual product. But I don't see how that should reflect badly on the music itself. The factory fucked up, if you request a replacement, you'll get one. Big deal.
Especially considering how much better their first two albums are. And can you honestly defend a piece of shit "song" (and I use the word lightly) like Chernobyl Generation?
Well, Kali Yuga Bizarre isn't too impressive. Good, but nothing exceptional. Fire Walk is classic, and I see WNHI being the logical step.
Geez, next you'll be telling me that the Kovenant is the goundbreaking band of the decade....
I've never heard the Kovenant, so there goes your argument right there. And this coming from a fan of Manowar. /forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

Dreamlord said:
It's OK, not many can comprehend Aborym.
I just have the promo, so I can't comment on the actual product. But I don't see how that should reflect badly on the music itself. The factory fucked up, if you request a replacement, you'll get one. Big deal.
Well, Kali Yuga Bizarre isn't too impressive. Good, but nothing exceptional. Fire Walk is classic, and I see WNHI being the logical step.
I've never heard the Kovenant, so there goes your argument right there. And this coming from a fan of Manowar. /forum/images/smilies/lol.gif

When considering an album of the year, everything should be considered. Including defects on a cd itself. My point is, they shouldn't have released a product that they knew was defective.

Actually, I find Kail Yuga to be exceptionally better than the latest... Just what is so special about their new album?

And why do you continue to suggest that I can't comprehend Aborym? To be honest, I was listening to them a few years ago, so that argument is null and void.

And as far as Manowar is concerned their name has and will continue to make an impact on metal long after Aborym is nothing but dust in the wind, a "dingleberry" on a piece of toilet paper refusing to be flushed down the toilet...

I guess you didn't want to address the "Chernobyl Generation" abomination..... :devil:

phyre said:
That criticism should be directed at the label if anything. The band didn't know until release and were rather upset, AFAIK.

Thank you Phyre.

As far as "Chernobyl Generation" goes. It fits with the album. It is a album to be listened to as a whole, not picked at like you are doing. So obviously the album does go beyond your comprehension. It's OK though. Don't feel bad.

bloodfiredeath said:
I've never even heard of Aborym, but you just crossed a line with this one. Clearly, the kings of metal go over your head. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Not much can go over my head. I'm very tall. And Manowar licks my toe-jam

Dreamlord said:
Thank you Phyre.

As far as "Chernobyl Generation" goes. It fits with the album. It is a album to be listened to as a whole, not picked at like you are doing. So obviously the album does go beyond your comprehension. It's OK though. Don't feel bad.

Again, I've listened to it as a whole and while I enjoy it, I don't see the "greatness." I "comprehend" what they are doing... lots of drugs.

And don't get me wrong, ain't nothing wrong with that. And I do direct my anger to the label, but seeing that it affects my listening experience, I can't say that it reflects well on that experience. It's an annoyance..

Again, I will say that I own all of their cds, but this one is not one of "the greats," folks.

King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Ulver - whatever the new one will be called
Opeth - Damnation
Metallica - St. Anger :D

It will probably be one of these, although I have yet to hear any of them (one is in the mail right now).

I've been working, so I haven't been able to take part in this discussion until now.

I've had the new Aborym since the beginning of January. It was actually a promo, but I have the full packaging. Mine doesn't have all the defects that Papa is so pissed about.

I don't see the point in arguing about whether or not Aborym's newest is album of the year. It's only an opinion. Papa seems to like stuff that leans slightly more to the traditional. While Dreamlord and I seem to like stuff that is a little more left of center. Aborym's newest happens to be even more left of center than their old stuff.

Chernobyl Generation fits with the album perfectly. It is the equivalent of the keyboard stuff Varg did in Burzum.

My vote for Album of the Year, so far, would have to go to:

1) Aborym 'With No Human Intervention'

2) Negura Bunget 'N 'Crugu Bradului'

skyfire - mind revolution
kovenant - SETI (pj can get down on his knees and blow me)
KMFDM - WWIII (comes out in summer i think)
i assume the new kalmah will be in my top 5 as well.
-neal

Demonspell said:
Right now my premature candidate for album of the year is the new Evergrey...

Hey Demonspell - have you been experiencing the shitty production values that some people have been talking about with the new Evergrey?