So how is the year shaping up?

JayKeeley said:
So let me ask - why has the new Nokturnal Mortum album been given a lukewarm -> above average reception? It doesn't average more than a 7/10 across most reviews. I've even read NM fans saying they were hoping for a lot more. If you were to rank all the NM albums where would it appear? And give me an honest response, not fanboi.
I haven't given it a honest listen yet. To me, it seems that the rest of the tracks aren't up to the standard of those released on the EP so far... We'll see.

Best Nokturnal Mortum release by far. Been giving it a lot of spins lately. However, I doubt that my opinion counts for anything, considering I disliked Goat Horns :p

I'm rather disappointed this far. Nokturnal Mortum was cool enough, I guess. I haven't bought it yet, though, so I don't have a full impression yet. Dark Tranquillity entertained me for a short while, but the new album has been shelved already. Not a new "Projector", no, sir! I've yet to hear the new Dickinson, though. And I'm really looking forward to the new Summoning. The new Dissection will most probably suck, though. As or the new Drudkh, t's the same as the new Nokturnal Mortum: Probably cool enough, but I haven't bought it yet.

"Weltanschauung" is more than just "cool enough", it's close to being a milestone in pagan metal. Apart from the atrocious WW2 samples, it's nearly flawless. An epic masterpiece.

I think to be honest, the delay between "Taste of Victory EP" and "Weltanschauung" was a bit too long, and perhaps people just lost the momentum built by that phenomenal EP.

Most discussions around the album do revolve around the "was hoping for more considering how good ToV was" sort of thing.

odd not seeing SYL's Alien on any lists.

liking the Moonsorrow, which I had since thanksgiving, liking the Primordial, liking the November's Doom, liking the Bruce Dickinson

biggest shock is how pleasant this new Robert Plant album is (it's nothing you folks would enjoy, I'll say that)

Deadwing has what I call a beautiful side A and a miserable side b
Frances the Mute will occupy best of year slot because the list has been so short so far. Need more to impress me.

looking forward to new dredg. and new Kate Bush. And Negura Bunget

2005 has been a total disappointment so far.