So how are the 2000's shaping up in terms of music?

Birkenau said:
What decent cds came out last year? New Shining, Taake, Sunn O))), Mournful Congregation and probably a few others.
Stating any of this, as if you're offering up evidence, is somewhat pointless. Just because you liked more CDs from 1995 than 2005, only means you like 1995 better, not that it was a better year. Also keep in mind, 2005 just ended. You have no idea how many CDs from 2005 you may discover in the next 10 years. Out of curiosity, how many from the list below did you actually buy in 1995?.

Anathema - The Silent Enigma - no thanks
Aghast - Hexerei Im Zwielicht Der Finsternis - who?
Behemoth - Sventevith (Storming Near The Baltic) - hardly their finest work
Beherit - Electric Doom Synthesis - who?
Blut Aus Nord - Ultima Thulée - shit
Brenoritvrezorkre - Nèvgzérýa - who?
Carpathian Forest - Through Chasm, Caves And Titan Woods - average
Death - Symbolic - any year Death released a CD is a good year
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane - good disc
Graveland - Thousand Swords - Graveland blows
Immortal - Battles In The North - hardly their best
In The Woods - HEart of the Ages - pass
Kyuss - ...And The Circus Leaves Town - maybe their worst
Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve - all Meshuggah blows
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River - Erik likes this... enough said
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood - maybe the silliest title evar
Nazxul - Totem - who?
Opeth - Orchid - the worth of the first 5
Ophthalamia - Via Dolorosa - sounds like an Opeth cover band
Sacramentum - Far Away From The Sun - blech
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet - need to hear this
Suffocation - Pierced From Within - hardly thier best
Summoning - Minas Morgul - no opinion
Ulver - Kveldssanger - all Ulver is ulverrated
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters - who?
Vlad Tepes - March to the Black Holocaust - lol, great title
Zyklon-B - Blood Must Be Shed - never heard it, don't care

Birkenau said:
Point proven?
Nope.

"This Godless Endeavor" >>>> everything on your list

2005 wins!

Zod

I have to concur with Zod's point. I thought 1995 was a horrid year in 1995. Of course, I've since bought lots of albums that I missed out on then.

2005 did seem a bit weaker than the last few years, though, but I got married in 2005 and didn't have as much time or money to check out everything I might have otherwise.

As a decade, though, the 2000s are coming along splendidly for me.

Man, this decade has been pretty good for me, and I'm just assuming it's going to keep on getting better with each new find. Like everyone says, we probably won't know until 2015, but anyway, thus far....off the top of me 'ead:

The August Engine
The Bastard
Mabool
Panopticon / Oceanic
The Mantle
The Gathering Wilderness / Spirit the Earth Aflame
From Mars to Sirius
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice

Those are the albums (probably missed a couple) that gave me the adrenalin rush of finding something really fucken special / new.

Of course there are a ton of other albums that were great, not necessarily anything revolutionary, but that's fine too. Those releases fly the flag of metal, keeping it bouncing along. They have their place.

I'll stick to my guns on this, however: I've yet to hear an album of 10/10 buy or die quality from 2005. Perhaps it's just a matter of time anyway because perfection takes time. Mabool didn't become a 10/10 for me until a year after its release.

I agree that The Mantle, The Gathering Wilderness and The August Engine are among the best albums of the 2000s that I've heard yet, but there's a lot of good stuff out there.

JayKeeley said:
I'll stick to my guns on this, however: I've yet to hear an album of 10/10 buy or die quality from 2005.
The Mars Volta! Did you ever listen to it past thinking "what is this, Santana?!" :D

And I forgot about The Mantle. That one right there is slowly approaching 10/10 BUY OR DIE status. It's damn close either way.

Ellestin said:
Lunar Aurora? Sólstafir? The Evpatoria Report? Overmars?

Oh wait, you haven't checked them yet, have you?

Haha, no none of them. I do want to check them out asap though. The descriptions/samples I've heard are all good.

Wait -- what's Overmars again? The other three I know of.

@NAD - Mars Volta is a band that works on NAD time (TM), a la Kayo Dot and other deranged psycho shit :tickled: You know, for every week you dedicate to listening to it would be the equivalent of a year for me. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
@NAD - Mars Volta is a band that works on NAD time (TM), a la Kayo Dot and other deranged psycho shit :tickled: You know, for every week you dedicate to listening to it would be the equivalent of a year for me. :loco:
hahahahahaha that's fuckin' brilliant.

I'm of the "2000 generation" if that means something and most of my favorite stuff is from post-2000. I think the 90's have been awesome restrospectively (4/5 in all-time favorites) but the 3 records which have changed everything for me come from 2002 :

Ellestin said:
Isis' "oceanic", Agalloch's "The Mantle" and Sigur Rós' "( )".

JayKeeley said:
The August Engine
The Bastard
Mabool
Panopticon / Oceanic
The Mantle
The Gathering Wilderness / Spirit the Earth Aflame
From Mars to Sirius
Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice

Everyone with a "large" appreciation of Metal has probably already heard all of them. The others will or perish by January 1st 2010 :loco:

Great List.

"The August Engine" did nothing for me. Purchased it from Nate, first few listens went from "meh" too "ok, skilled but what's the worship deal". It held a couple more listens before I grew 100% certain it was no case for me.

General Zod said:
In The Woods - HEart of the Ages - pass

Dude.

*hands Zod some Q tips*

General Zod said:
Ophthalamia - Via Dolorosa - sounds like an Opeth cover band

uhh... wha? Do we have the same Via Dolorosa?

Hmmm. But they were both recorded at the same place. I should look in the booklets to see if this was recorded after Orchid.

Trivia: After Opeth left Unisound, the next band in was Novembre to record Wish I Could Dream It Again... who went bonkers over the rough mix of Orchid.

General Zod said:
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters - who?

You lose at metal.