Survey: The Art of Progression in Music

Well, to be fair, the bonus disc, as well as "Once Sent", have a number of unfair advantages over "vs. the World". Both the bonus disc and "Once Sent" have the following in their favor:

1. Everyone knows, the first rule of extreme Metal states: everything recorded after a band's first two releases is utter shit, primarily because more than 20 people know of the band's existence.

2. Both CDs sound as if they were recorded in a dungeon, on a beat up old boom box that one of their friends lent them. Consequently, all the instruments bleed into each other, and the mix is for shit. The second rule of extreme Metal states: quality music can not be mixed properly... if you don't have to strain your ears to hear what's happening musically, it aint worth hearing.

3. Both were recorded before the band reached their musical maturity. It's only from a state of musical immaturity from which tr00 musical greatness can flow.

Zod:headbang:

haha, that was pretty good, but not necessarily true. In my case, by the time The Crusher and everything after came around, I had all the AA I needed, since Once Sent and The Avenger (which I also love) were my first AA purchases, before The Crusher was even released.

However, I do think VS the World is the best post-Avenger material, and in all honesty it might be better than The Avenger as a whole, but The Avenger has the mighty Bleed for Ancient Gods and one of AA's best in The Last with Pagan Blood.

The Crusher is lame IMO, easily their worst (or least best). The Avenger is good, but not really consistent. And it's only 35 minutes long.

General Zod said:
Well, to be fair, the bonus disc, as well as "Once Sent", have a number of unfair advantages over "vs. the World". Both the bonus disc and "Once Sent" have the following in their favor:

1. Everyone knows, the first rule of extreme Metal states: everything recorded after a band's first two releases is utter shit, primarily because more than 20 people know of the band's existence.

2. Both CDs sound as if they were recorded in a dungeon, on a beat up old boom box that one of their friends lent them. Consequently, all the instruments bleed into each other, and the mix is for shit. The second rule of extreme Metal states: quality music can not be mixed properly... if you don't have to strain your ears to hear what's happening musically, it aint worth hearing.

3. Both were recorded before the band reached their musical maturity. It's only from a state of musical immaturity from which tr00 musical greatness can flow.

Zod:headbang:
LOL, I know! I hated being the 22nd fan of Amon Amarth. They won't let me in the club!

I haven't read carefully the rest of these posts, but I have to vote for Enslaved. Don't get me wrong - I fucking love Frost and Eld and the like, but Isa and Below the Lights have a certain something to them that is just appealing and fantastic. Also... if you say they haven't progressed a lot, than you are an idiot.

wtf2.jpg

TOOL FUCKING TOOL

A few months ago, I finally decided that Lateralus was indeed worthy of a 10/10 score, shortly afterwards I reviewed it. For the previous 3 years I had been listening to it, I considered it a 9/10, maybe someday 10/10 album. As of tonight is the greatest album history has ever seen. There is none higher. It is shocking, absolutely SHOCKING how amazing this band it. I can't even comprehend it, but I pretend that I do. Jebus.

I don't know if there are many bands that fit these criteria (especially at this point in history). I'm not really even sure what it means to "progress" because that word usually just gets used when a band changes style (usually for the worst). Some bands could be said to have progressed within their stylistic parameters but who has increasingly gotten better and released their best work on their most recent album?

Borknagar probably doesn't strictly fit these criteria because they had some weaker stuff in the middle (does every album have to be better than the last?), but their last couple albums are some of their best work.

The Dillinger Escape Plan, imo. Maybe Fugazi. Unwound definitely although Challenge For A Civilized Society isn't as good as Repetition. Propagandhi was getting there but their last album kinda dropped the ball compared to the previous two.

So far, Car Bomb is doing it. Time will tell.

Depending on you're personal tastes, one could name Leprous but I'd kinda disagree. That could all end though if their next album is a total stinker. Also depending on personal tastes, you could say Kylesa but Static Tensions is where it's at, imo.

One could say Wobbler but I still think Hinterland is their best album. There could be a nostalgic factor at play though.

I'd agree with IoTS's post though. Not many bands continually progress and get better with each release and then stop. It's hard to answer this in any definitive way.

Last edited: