maudlin of the Well / Kayo Dot

I liked this pic with Greg soloing and towering over mia.
hampshire33.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I just realized 9/30 is tomorrow, I thought 9/30 was Friday nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I don't think I'll be able to make it. :(

I think you need encouragement in four words:

fuck it. go anyway.

EDIT: oh wait, you're talking about the date of the show, not the trip altogether.

If I didn't have the upcoming California shows I would definitely go, but tomorrow is going to be a long god damn day without driving 420 miles on top of flying 2500 first.

Would make a good story though...

ok so i was bored and decided to do a UM search on my name. maybe i am not pretentious but i can be egomanaical soemtimes. i admit it.

anyhoo, after reading these posts i thought i should add some things:

1. its not worth the time and effort to get into a deep discussion on why we have problems with the metal scene or why we left dark symphonies. let me add that most of the people we met in the scene were awesome and we also made alot of great friends there who still remain good friends.

the bottom line comes down, like we said in the interview, to marketing. with a band like us it just was silly to be marketed solely in the metal scene on a goth-metal type of label. it gave us a good start and for that we are grateful but i have to admit that leaving DS and distancing ourselves from that marketing standpoint has broadened our fanbase, made us more money, helped us to earn some respect outside the metal scene, play more interesting shows with a wider variety of bands, become more visible, have better distrobution worldwide through tzadik, play bigger shows with more people, all while sticking true to our artistic integrity. so say what you will about us being pretentious or that we "hate" the metal scene or whatever but in my mind, we did the right thing and i am happier with where my band is going now than i was before.

2. the spelling of the name motW was only because we decided to make the "m" lowercase in the name. nothing super artsy-fartsy or pretentious about it but i agree that it looks cool. :)

3. despite anything you might hear about us, the thing is that sometimes having a sense of idealism about what you do and how you want your music to be heard and experienced can sometimes come off sounding "pretentious" but the truth is that we care deeply about our music and the way it is presented and this has nothing to do with considering ourselves "above" everyone else or some bullshit like that. just take it from me that if someone calls us "pretentious" they are WRONG plain and simple. i don't care what they say or maybe its because "pretentious" means something totally different to me but it is wrong and i hate being misjudged because someone doesn't want to take the time to actually listen to the music and decide if its good or if its bad.

everyone in our band is quite friendly and if you talk with us on a personal level you will find we are very rarely "snobby" and instead are very "goofy" or "immature" BUT that doesn't mean we don't take or have the right to take our music very seriously. now if you don't like it that is your opinion but the judgement should be about our music and not our intentions with the music because those are as pure as any punk, emo, black metal, thrash metal, death metal, indie rock, math rock, metalcore, power metal, jazz, blues, bluegrass, folk, classical, afro/cuban, noise, etc. band. we write our music to express what we feel and create something new. we are not out to prove ourselves to be "better" than anyone else.

ps. it is my recommendation that anyone who is still looking for the motW releases e-mail DS and ask them politely if they will be reissuing them at some point soon because i guess if there is enough demand then they will actually do it. if they say they won't be re-releasing them again then in all politeness to their decision, i say let the CD-R's fly. :)

It'd be criminal if in 10 years those motW albums were completely lost.

Also, just in case Baliset is still checking up on this thread, 'member that one time you guys did The Antique? That was pretty cool.

mona.jpg

thx Greg. when I first stumbled on your band I was impressed with the genuineness and down to earthedness (?!?!) of you and toby and the rest, every bit as much as I admired the music. I've never once found you guys to be snobs, just adventurous in your creativity. It's a shame that anything "new" gets mocked in the so called metal community.