Albums currently kicking your ass

Oath+Bound.png

King_Diamond_The_Eye_Nut_Suite_blogspot.jpg

237_estatic_fear_a_sombre_dance.jpg

Triptykon and Celtic Frost-Monotheist are excellent. As much as I like what Tom G did with classic CF. Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion. I really like what he is doing currently with extreme music. Can't wait for the next Triptykon.
I couldn't agree more. Not to mention it sounds great live.

Oath Bound is such a sick album. One of very few examples where an old school band managed to release an album in their old sound and still create top quality material. Obviously albums like Engram are the balls but there's no denying a change in sound... Oath Bound and perhaps Profanatitas De Domonatia are perhaps the best albums faithful to a bands '90s sound.

Oath Bound is such a sick album. One of very few examples where an old school band managed to release an album in their old sound and still create top quality material. Obviously albums like Engram are the balls but there's no denying a change in sound... Oath Bound and perhaps Profanatitas De Domonatia are perhaps the best albums faithful to a bands '90s sound.

I'm confused here. Oath Bound sounds more like Summoning's later-era keyboard-heavy black metal found in "Stronghold" and "Let Mortal Heroes" than their guitar with midi-keyboard sounds of "Minas Morgul" and "Dol Guldur."

Well yeah their keyboard technology certainly progressed, but stylistically, outside of the heavy emphasis on longer melodic lines in Oath Bound, it's all still the same. Whereas Beherit and others embraced entirely different approaches to create masterpieces like Engram. I guess I was only saying that most of the good bands from the '90s still releasing quality today had to heavily embrace some new elements, and it's refreshing that Summoning and a couple of others can still blow us away with the same general style, despite immensely better technology.

And that's not to say the old school is dead or something, just that no one really need give a shit about most of these old, still-active bands (ie Dead Congregation, Blaspherian, etc. make newer Incantation albums almost completely obsolete), but it's cool to see an old band that can still do it.

Well yeah their keyboard technology certainly progressed, but stylistically, outside of the heavy emphasis on longer melodic lines in Oath Bound, it's all still the same. Whereas Beherit and others embraced entirely different approaches to create masterpieces like Engram. I guess I was only saying that most of the good bands from the '90s still releasing quality today had to heavily embrace some new elements, and it's refreshing that Summoning and a couple of others can still blow us away with the same general style, despite immensely better technology.

And that's not to say the old school is dead or something, just that no one really need give a shit about most of these old, still-active bands (ie Dead Congregation, Blaspherian, etc. make newer Incantation albums almost completely obsolete), but it's cool to see an old band that can still do it.

Ah. I see what you are saying. I agree. But in regards to Engram, I still feel that all the same elements of old Beherit is there. All the songs on Engram is so simple, but they sound so immense due to the incredible amount of layers. The riffs are totally Beherit, just hidden underneath all the layers of keys and distorted guitars. It's different, but still the same old Beherit deep down.

thanatosemergingfromthe.jpg

Sick old death thrash. If you've heard Thanatos' newer albums, dont let them deter you from this. In 1990 they werea totally different band playing extremely old school death - thrash hybrid. tnb, I bet you'd like this if you havent heard it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanatosemergingfromthe.jpg

Sick old death thrash. If you've heard Thanatos' newer albums, dont let them deter you from this. In 1990 they werea totally different band playing extremely old school death - thrash hybrid. tnb, I bet you'd like this if you havent heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFrMaFgWHU

Never heard them before, and you're right, that's some fucking ripping death/thrash. Will definitely try and get my hands on that album, thanks for the rec!