Albums currently kicking your ass

You must be listening to a different album then, because the drums are SOOOOO plasticky and sterile it's unlistenable. It's especially bad since Kollias is kinda the centerpiece of the band, so having his kit sound thin and cheap wrecks everything. Like the kick drum is all click and no oomph, the snare sounds like it's being recorded through a pillow, and all the cymbals end up sounding nearly the same. The guitars are good, that's about the best I'll give it. The bass is nonexistent.

What are you listening through?

I think it sounds perfect through my shitty computer speakers, and my Polk Monitor 70's
every part of it sounds fine. and Nile has never been heavy on bass

Havok-Time-Is-Up.jpg

What are you listening through?

Futuresonics Atrios MG7 buds with an e11 amp, or in my car with a full sound system. The low end of the album doesn't exist. I guess if what you listen with isn't good at reproducing a lot of bass you won't notice, but like "Those Whom" was VERY full sounding, same with Annihilation and Ithyphallic. Sethu is just so sterile and flat by comparison it makes it hard to listen to.

On a whim, I took a look at reviews on places like MetalReview (Last Rites now), Teufel's Tomb, Metal Enforcer, and a couple others. I'm not the only person who's noticed this. I think the thing is, Nile generally had that sort of Incantation-y idea to the production where things weren't exactly cleaned up and it really added to their "mystical" sound. Sethu, by contrast, is SUPER cleaned up. It's quantized and normalized, all the instruments are FULLY separated from one another, and it leaves the whole thing sounding weak compared to older ones.

Bass (not the guitar) pretty much ruins metal. It distorts the fuck out of the sound and is Fucking annoying unless you're listening to stonery stuff like electric wizard or Conan.

@SomeGuyDude
Are you listening to the actual disk, or the shitty leaked download?
Lots of people that did reviews on youtube, did so before the damn thing was ever released.

I think the album sounds perfect.
And I love the way Karl has described the production.

@SomeGuyDude
Are you listening to the actual disk, or the shitty leaked download?
Lots of people that did reviews on youtube, did so before the damn thing was ever released.

I think the album sounds perfect.
And I love the way Karl has described the production.

The Spotify streaming at highest quality. So an album rip.

Krow, I assume you're joking because bass frequencies are pretty critical to avoid making your album sound like it's coming out of a fucking answering machine. It's not hip hop, so we're not talking "trunk rattlin jamz" or some bullshit like that, but unless that kick drum has some meat to it it'll sound like someone smacking a steak with a spoon which is exactly the issue on Sethu.

Here's a flipside: fire up Abominable Putridity's "Anomalies..." album. That production is SO fucking thick and beefy. Each kick drum hits you in the chest. The bass guitar actually fills out the sound. Sethu sounds like they got frustrated at some distortion and just said "fuck it, let's just make it sound like it's coming out of laptop speakers".

Felt like reminding myself that -core isn't a dirty word.

Promethee - Nothing Happens, Nobody Comes, Nobody Goes
ipMBd6j.jpg

You know how you can tell a band knows how to do it right? When the breakdowns aren't single note chugs but are actually riffs in their own right.

1359748853_manilla-road-mysterium.jpg

Some fucking killer riffage on this one. Never been the biggest fan of the vocals though.