Albums currently kicking your ass

i like this album but i think people who praise it but then talk about overrated queensryche are must be deaf or something

So much this, except I don't particularly even like it (or didn't last I heard it). Even compared to other second/third-tier Queensryche-y bands I think they're mediocre (I'd take Drive's Characters in Time any day for example). The first three Queensryche albums deserve all the praise they receive and then some.

That band is local to my area (Hebron, KY which is near the airport) and they were super popular 20 years ago. I picked up that album on CD used a few months back and the first thing I thought was 'Wow, this is Queensryche worship'. I think that album is fantastic and I agree with HBB about the first three Queensryche albums.

Holy shit..
546258.jpg

Batushka - Litourgiya

My reaction to this post was, "Dude, relax. It's just Om...wait..." :tickled:

That being said, this album surprised me. I mean, damn.

Reactions: SwarmOvRats
I'm looking for more new stuff to listen to but in the meantime, I've been listening to Twilight in Olympus by Symphony X again (for what must be the millionth time :)). You know, I think this band's work will live on forever. It has to. It's simply fantastic. Sublime musicianship, excellent songwriting, great vocals, epic lyricism, etc. They're the whole package.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to get a second opinion from you guys regarding a black metal release that I totally ended up skipping last year which was by Myrkur. I think the title was just M. Should I pick it up?

37045.jpg

Just finished editing/helping/rewriting an undergrad's application to some stipend program, for some reason this album is even more enjoyable than usual clearing my mind from that.

EDIT: Oh yeah TOOH's Pod Vládou Bice for those that don't know it or are otherwise pedantic about including album titles for cover art that doesn't

1148.jpg

Favorite tracks of this one are Unquestionable Presence, Mother Man, Enthralled in Essence and An Incarnation's Dream.

I think this should be mandatory listening for all tech death bands who forsake songwriting for complexity.

Last edited:
Unquestionable Presence is interesting in that virtually everything on it is god-tier except for its riffs, which are actually pretty average thrash and death/thrash riffs for the most part. Most albums without good riffs are automatically garbage, but everything else on it is so perfect that the end result is still strong.

I never really got into Tales... I love the above EP and The Karelian Isthmus, though.

What did you mean by your previous post though? That their sound just wasn't all that compelling afterwards? Because I'd have to agree with you there. They just didn't do it as well as other bands and I'd argue their death metal offerings like the two EPs and Tales were much better.