Albums currently kicking your ass

2046.jpg

Really a brilliant album in the way that it's a bit more streamlined than say, Dimension Hatröss or Nothingface but it's still an unmistakably Voivodian slab of progressive metal. Excellent sense of melody, too. No other band writes like this.

527.jpg

Also this. Still secure in it's number 1 spot on my best of 1990 list. "The Lawmaker" has one of Iommi's best solos. Pure shred.

The in-crowd rarely praise thrash, let alone progressive/technical thrash etc.

The fuck is the in-crowd anyways? I mean conceptually I get it, but it seems to imply there is one dominant crowd who's taste defines metal whereas where I live we have multiple large metal scenes that are almost separate but still interlocking. The crowd who likes the one mic in the middle of a room, no click track, no melody approach to metal seem kind of divided on bands like vektor. But not so much the prog/power/thrash crowd.

Anyhow, Vektor rules. I can see why it doesn't appeal to everyone and can certainly have a sort of "novelty" feel to it. But the dude is a pretty great songwriter, guitar player, and those robot screams are insanity. It took me a while to get into that weird chorusy thing he was doing on Terminal Redux, but now I'm convinced it was genius.

The fuck is the in-crowd anyways? I mean conceptually I get it, but it seems to imply there is one dominant crowd who's taste defines metal whereas where I live we have multiple large metal scenes that are almost separate but still interlocking. The crowd who likes the one mic in the middle of a room, no click track, no melody approach to metal seem kind of divided on bands like vektor. But not so much the prog/power/thrash crowd.

Anyhow, Vektor rules. I can see why it doesn't appeal to everyone and can certainly have a sort of "novelty" feel to it. But the dude is a pretty great songwriter, guitar player, and those robot screams are insanity. It took me a while to get into that weird chorusy thing he was doing on Terminal Redux, but now I'm convinced it was genius.

in crowd are/were just a group of pretentious pansies with rather pedestrian taste in metal. They're a dying breed.

And yes, Vektor fucking rules!

in crowd are/were just a group of pretentious pansies with rather pedestrian taste in metal. They're a dying breed.

And yes, Vektor fucking rules!

But more specifically, what kind of taste? Like super mainstream pretentious? "Everything after the 80s sucks" kind of pretentious? Super underground "Lords of Chaos" level pretentious? Because I've met all the above lol. Maybe some examples of bands would help

But more specifically, what kind of taste? Like super mainstream pretentious? "Everything after the 80s sucks" kind of pretentious? Super underground "Lords of Chaos" level pretentious? Because I've met all the above lol. Maybe some examples of bands would help
Dont listen to the in-crowder above. Its more of how one carries themselves. They brownose each other all day.

Do you worship Manilla Road, Pagan Altar, Cirith Ungol and most importantly, The Chasm?

If by in-crowd, it means someone who has spent a lot of time listening to metal and is opinionated about it then yeah, that defines me.

Dont listen to the in-crowder above. Its more of how one carries themselves. They brownose each other all day.

Do you worship Manilla Road, Pagan Altar, Cirith Ungol and most importantly, The Chasm?

I can't not for the life of me figure out how The Chasm fits in that list, but if worshipping Manilla Road is a requirement then please count me in the out-crowd.

The Chasm are arguably my favorite band. Cirith Ungol is up there too. I like Manilla Road but I don’t know if I’d rank them as highly as some people do.

The in-crowd are the forum aristocracy who look down their noses at genres like thrash metal and any death metal that isn't old school or "cavernous." It's less so a consciously formed group and more of an attitude towards what is seen as the music of the plebs, as well as fart-huffing over "high art musical masterpieces" which all acts as a way to pull different people together to form a kind of forum clique.

I've come to think that what the in-crowd likes (Manilla Road, The Chasm, Hell Awaits etc) is much less important than what they dislike in regards to defining them. They don't always overlap with what they like but they almost always overlap with what they dismiss. Technical thrash metal, progressive thrash metal, crossover, technical death metal, brutal death metal, grindcore, thrash metal outside of a select few tasteful albums, most non-USPM power metal, progressive metal, sludge metal etc etc.

Then why do me and others deemed in-crowd still post here?

If you want to talk about people who haven’t posted in years and call them “in-crowd”, that’s fine and would make a bit more sense.

I’m just an opinionated metalhead.

Okay got it. So the "Lords of Chaos" type of pretentious. This is trve metal only for the select few. Everyone who knows how to play their instruments, likes production value, and incorporates melody into their music is a poser.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity