Albums like Discouraged Ones

verma

Jul 15, 2009
I really need to find some bands that mix shoegaze with more metal aspect of rock or something gothic or doomish, because i never heard anything like this album, though i've listened to a huge amount of shoegaze bands and doom/gothic bands. And no, i don't think DO is goth or whatsoever, but they have similar kind of mood there.

don't know what bands you know...but here are some katatonia -forum favorites

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJ_-wkHBZc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqianEkVKs&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vUujG_6j_E&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Rapture is the one and maybe only band I would consider similar to Katatonia, despite the use of harsh vocals. The feeling is very very similar.

Well, I know all this bands, but thanks for trying to help. And yes, I've heard BMD and it is awesome :D though i'm searching something with clean vocals, because i'm too tired of metal for like 3 months already.

thanks, i'll check them out :)
oh, and tag black metal on lastfm kinda scares me, though i love lifelover :D

Tnx, i've listened to the cure, but they don't have that shoegazy mood, but I reaaaally love their song The drowning man which reminds me a big time of Day by kata, though I didn't like other songs.

The best I can recommend to you is:

Slowdive - Souvlaki -> Excellent shoegazer pop with really deep melodies, emotive vocals and ghostly sound effects.

Red House Painters - Retrospective -> Their best of. It represents the band wonderfully. RHP is often labeled as ''sadcore'', they basically write sinister confessional rock music with a scary sense of realism. It's depressive as much as it is beautiful.

Swans - The Burning World/ White Light From the Mouth of Infinity/ The Great Annihilator -> A very creative band. These albums are fucking amazing. These guys have done a bit of everything in the realm of dark rock music.

The Cure - Bloodflowers -> Underrated album imo, pretty good. A perfect winter album I think.

The Cure - Disintegration, My Bloody Valentine - Loveless, Slowdive - Just For A Day, Bethany Curve - You Brought Us Here/Flaxan...

Swans - The Burning World/ White Light From the Mouth of Infinity/ The Great Annihilator -> A very creative band. These albums are fucking amazing. These guys have done a bit of everything in the realm of dark rock music.
Onlu one of those I have is The Great Annihilator, but it is fucking amazing indeed. She Lives! FTW

I've never found an album like Discouraged Ones, so good luck...along with those that other people mentioned I would highly recommend Fragile Hollow's Effette Mind some songs of theirs are a bit goth rock but towards the end of the album it gets very moody and katatonia-influenced, it's definetly an underated CD - They even cover "saw you drown" on that katatonia covers compilation.

Try This Empty Flow. Their Magenta Skycode album is the saddest album i have, and one of my all time favourites. This band is the most underrated band ever. Problably you won't find their album anywhere.
I beg all of katatonias fans and all of sad music fans to listem to this album. Trust me, its beautiful all the way through. It has 2 of my all time favourite songs.
My fave metal bands are katatonia and anathema, just so you know what im into.
Please, all of you listen to them, you won't regret.

This is one of my all time favourite songs. I get shivers down my spine with this song. All the song is perfect, but the part from 6:49 onwards is perfection.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_jfPHL7QU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
This is other song of that album that i love. The part from 2:34 onwards is, like in the other song, one of the greatest and saddest pieces of music ever.

Just one more thing, before they were this shoegaze/rock/gothic band they were called Thergothon and released an album that is considered one classic of doom metal, at least here in Europe.
They reunited 2 years ago and they have a pop goth band called Magenta Skycode (curiously the name of their 1st This Empty Flow album)

:worship: I love TEF(and Thergothon), "Useless" is one of the best songs I've ever heard, also "Snowblind" and "Rebuilt Passage" are brilliant aswell. Nice one for mentioning them, you can hear The Cure's "Disintegration" all over their songs....the album "Faith" by the Cure also sounds a bit like TEF, try this :

If you like This Empty Flow then The Frozen Autumn is another good band to check out:

I know all this probably doesn't sound a great deal like Discouraged Ones but then again, what does? Maybe you should just root through the "depressive music" thread here, there's plenty of good stuff to be found in there

thanks with your supply, but i search something like DO.
i like almost every band, that you've mentioned, but they don't have that feeling.
i've searched for that like for a 3 years and still nothing.
some things will never be repeated, so i guess i'll have to move on

p.s. antimatter is one of the greatest inspiration for me in a whole time
anywho, tnx for your help, i'll guess in some time we will find a band similar to kata's middle sound