Albums that have gotten better with age

FOE_TLH

New Metal Member
Jun 18, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
As a teenager first getting into things like black metal, death metal, grindcore, etc., there were some albums that just seemed too out of step or strange or otherwise grating that, when I revisited in my somewhat wise old age, now make sense.

For me, such albums include Mayhem's "Grand Declaration of War," Emperor's "Prometheus," and albums from bands like Deathspell Omega.

Curious as to other albums that it took folks a while to "get."

As a teenager first getting into things like black metal, death metal, grindcore, etc., there were some albums that just seemed too out of step or strange or otherwise grating that, when I revisited in my somewhat wise old age, now make sense.

For me, such albums include Mayhem's "Grand Declaration of War," Emperor's "Prometheus," and albums from bands like Deathspell Omega.

Curious as to other albums that it took folks a while to "get."

Funny, I think GDW has gotten worse with time. I liked it when it first came out, but the more I listen to it, the more superficial it sounds.

On the other hand, I totally agree with you Deathspell Omega (particularly Fas and Paracletus) and Emperor's Prometheus.

Others that come to mind:
Agalloch- The Mantle
Gorguts- Obscura
Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger
At the Gates- The Red in the Sky is Ours

Slayer circa 85-90, mostly just in the time it took to realize that there was subtlety in their song-writing in contrast to everything else about them that's so stark. Both Holy Terror albums and Infernal Majesty's None Shall Defy as well for similar reasons.

He's not talking about Slaughter of the Soul, an album that gets worse with every song.

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance. Well it was when I was a teen. I just didnt get it and it grew on me then I started lisening to more Death and then into Black

Today I'm still trying to understand bands like Portal, Impetuous Ritual, Teitanblood etc
Bands like Dead congregation, Necros Christos and Grave Miasma took less time and when it clicked it was like I found metal all over again

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance. Well it was when I was a teen. I just didnt get it and it grew on me then I started lisening to more Death and then into Black

Today I'm still trying to understand bands like Portal, Impetuous Ritual, Teitanblood etc
Bands like Dead congregation, Necros Christos and Grave Miasma took less time and when it clicked it was like I found metal all over again

Yeah, the same with me, I could never understand Portal.