Albums that you think were ahead of their time

Profanity said:
Metallica - 1984
I bet most of the kids who like that album today don't know it was released in 1984.

Do you mean Ride the Lightning? 'Cause it sounds like it was released in 1984.

I seriously don't understand all the praise that album is getting in this thread. It was an evolutionary step, not revolutionary. Watchtower "Energetic Disassembly" was recorded the same year and apart from the vocals doesn't sound dated at all 20+ years later. Master of Puppets was the first Metallica CD where it sounded like the band could actually play their instruments.

Somebody mentioned Cynic "Focus", which I will agree with. No other band has mastered that sound the way Cynic did. Atheist and Death came close, and a few others in recent years have done it pretty well, but Cynic just stands out above the pack.

anything by the Legendary Pink Dots
Brian Eno's ambient stuff
Peter Gabriel's 3 and "Security"
Sleep - "Jerusalem"
Mr. Bungle

What about the countless number of bands that are BEHIND their time, like Witchcraft, Anglagard and Comets on Fire? Not counting all the thousands of power/death/thrash/whatever bands living in the 80s...

Genesis <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Marksveld said:
Genesis <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

A sexier band never existed...

Genesis1973.jpg

jimbobhickville said:
Do you mean Ride the Lightning? 'Cause it sounds like it was released in 1984.

I seriously don't understand all the praise that album is getting in this thread. It was an evolutionary step, not revolutionary.

I gotta agree with this. "Ride the Lightning" was AHEAD of its time? In 1984, when heavy metal classics were being churned out by the truckload? Sure, it's a phenomenal record, but I think what happens is people go, "hey a thrash band playing mid-tempo metal songs and a ballad!".

No, all that happened was a thrash band simply stopped playing thrash.

What seems to happen is that in metal, people attribute the inclusion of any atypical elements (even simply within a particular genre) as "progressive", even though these elements have existed both in metal and in other music for years and years. Opeth's use of acoustic and clean electric guitar interludes comes to mind.

What really matters to me, more than being ahead of or behind or with it's time, is whether the music is FUCKING GOOD.

While I'm here though, GOAT HORN gets my vote for best band that's 20+ years behind it's time. These guys are only a year or two older than me and they play some kick-ass traditional metal with some thrashy tendencies!

spaffe said:
Haha yeah, going bald and keeping your hair long is in fact a great plan.

1) That's Peter Gabriel. Any of you ever heard of him?

2) He wasn't going bald, for some reason he thought it'd be cool to shave the part on the front of his head. More power to him. Too bad the style didn't catch on... it'd be funny to see people walking around like that.

Erik said:
This might come as a surprise to you, but "Fight Fire With Fire" is faster and more brutal than anything on "Kill 'em All" and just about any other metal that existed in 1984.

I do recognize that one song, but more brutal than anything else that came out in 1984? I think 83's Show No Mercy and 84's Haunting the Chapel would negate that.

JayKeeley said:
I do recognize that one song, but more brutal than anything else that came out in 1984? I think 83's Show No Mercy and 84's Haunting the Chapel would negate that.

"Fight Fire With Fire" is more brutal than anything SLAYER did. SLAYER is a more intense band than METALLICA, but for sheer brutality, that song was it!

I'm saying that Ride the Lightning was not ahead of its time, regardless of what kind of sub-genre it belonged to. We are saying 1984, not 1974 right?