Five albums that changed your life

doing this now, but limiting myself to three. There are countless albums that have made my life significantly happier (or more difficult/challenged but in a positive way), but as to those having had a revolutionary impact on me, changing my horizon dramatically, I see only the following:

The%20wall.jpg

Pink Floyd - The Wall
The album (and the movie associated) that got me interested in music in the first place. Beforewards I was just a casual radio listener with a mere undefined liking for rocking stuff. 15 years later I am well aware that The Wall is far from being the summit of their career, music-wise, but my personal bond to those songs and the world outlook I developed through them is stronger than ever.

inthewoodsomnioyk8.jpg

In The Woods... - Omnio
I can still picture very clearly this searing hot day in August 1997, when I received this in the mail with little anticipation and was instantly frozen in place as soon as the opening violin part starting to flow across my bedroom, making me feel like reaching a comforting hand into the speakers... This album taught me a lot on myself (care crew style) and has to a large extent redefined the standards of what I've been expecting from music ever since. Even though I've of course grown weary of playing it every day, then every week, etc., each listen (3-4 times a year now, I'd say) remains a precious experience.

comus.jpg

Comus - First Utterance
I'll never be thankful enough to Doomcider and Prick Sirloin for whoring this out. Every second of it is worth all the life lost perusing RC. I remember posting back then that listening to it gave me a shock similar to discovering Omnio. Well, there you go. Like Demilich, it was also the gateway to the whole acid folk/prog/kraut smalah that nowadays makes up about half of my music consumption. Has it changed my life? Well, as a matter of fact I find myself a lot more outgoing and knowledge-hungry about things (culture, nature...) since I've opened up to this scene. Maybe I'm overplaying the link, maybe not. Whatever, seeing those mad fucks perform (amazingly) live on March 2008 was almost too much to bear. I sure hope to see them again somewhere in Europe before they call it quits for good.

I can't believe Comus' US tour is postponed/cancelled... I was SOOO pumped to travel wherever need be to see them play.

Those Mellotronen vids are spectacular!

master of puppets - Before this, the only metallica i had heard was what they played on local radio

Reign in blood - a tape a friend gave me, i remember playing it non stop for awhile before i heard any other slayer besides diabolus in musica (which i had bought when it came out) :ill:

Morningrise - This was actually my first ebay purchase, case came cracked and all. I remember thinking it was taking forever to arrive. The first time i heard black rose immortal, i realized that acoustic guitars in music was totally awesome. After this i got into a million other things quickly thanks to the interweb

Kveldssanger- Actually the first ulver i had heard. I remember listening to it in the dark, and repeating it twice in a row right away. I had been searching for acoustic stuff; listened to this album, and kauanvery close together.

songs of moors and misty fields - Probably the closest thing to doom i had listened to at the time. I remember finding the appeal in the melancholy of it all, which soon led me to in the woods...amorphis, and agalloch. Later to other forms of doom.

The last two albums were probably discovered right here on the um forum (opeth, back when i first joined). Opeth, i had discovered from a slayer forum, and i still remember the posters name; ieatbabies :lol:

in the 80s:
Rush - Exit...Stage Left
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - Rising Force
90s:
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Dream Theater - Images and Words
00s:
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Yeah, 6. So what?

I remember posting back then that listening to it gave me a shock

That's one thing I love about it: you know from the first five seconds of "Diana" that something completely strange and maddening is going on here, and that the next 49 minutes will be like NOTHING you've ever heard.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
The line between an amazing record with an emotional connection and something changing your life is a thin one, at least for me. With that being said, there are only 3 albums that definitely changed things for me:

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil: it was 1983 and I was in 6th grade. I was already a HUGE Kiss fan but I was also listening to pop radio and loving the likes of Men At Work, the J. Giles band, etc. While at a record store with my friend as his mom I saw a display for Shout...you could get the cassette and a hick-ass poster for a great price. I was hooked from the second I saw that poster. When I got home, the intro sucked me in and it was all over. They were everything Kiss was and more. They were rebellion in the flesh. I worshipped this band. This album created who I was to become for the next couple of years.

Metallica - Master of Puppets: prior to picking this up, I had heard only one Metallica song...Fight Fire With Fire. I fucking LOVED it but I had no idea who it was. I asked the dude at the store if he knew who sang that song and he walked me over and grabbed MoP. Hearing MoP I was completely blown away Even though I was a little disappointed that Fight Fire...was absent. The power, the majesty, everything about it was epic. As with Crue a couple of years earlier, I never turned back. Metallica were my new gods.

Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh: when this came out in 1994, I was all about Death Metal and nothing else. The only music I would listen to that wasn't Death Metal were things that were grandfathered in...Thrash or things I had been into for years, Priest, Dio, etc. I thought Black Metal was terrible until I heard this (followed closely by Satryicon's first two releases which I got at the same time from a friend trying to convert me). This was so closely tied to Death Metal and so engaging that it really got me paying attention to Black Metal. While they are scoffed at these days, that was a great album at the time and, while it probably would have happened at some point, this was THE album that started my conversion.

There may be others but, as I said, these three are undeniable. In each case I was already familiar with and, possibly, listening to similar bands. These were the albums that blew each genre wide-open. Oddly enough, I can't think of the album that did this for me with Death Metal. I think it was Death - Leprosy, but nothing stands out as much. That was such a smooth transition from Thrash, I guess.

No order.

Metallica Master Of Puppets
Inflames Colony
Helloween Keeper Of The Seven Keys pt. 1
At The Gates Slaughter of the Soul
Metal Blades " Death is Just the Beginning Volume 1"

It introduced me to Amon Amarth, Mithotyn, Enthroned

Led Zeppelin IV -- First heard this through my dad, it got me into. From here I listened to The Doors, Pink Floyd, and classic rock as a whole, I also then moved into mainstream rock.

As with Ellestin, this was my gateway into music LISTENING, not just radio shitz.

Metallica - ...And Justice for All - The song Harvester of Sorrow is what got me into metal. This was my conversion. Specifically the video taken from their concert in russia, which a class mate made me watch/hear after he overhead me lsitening to zeppelin and floyd. After this I heard the album in full and proceded to explore all of metallica's library and further on into the metal world.

Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet - This album introduced an entire new world and concept for me. Doom. When I first heard this album I was depressed and frustrated and this music fit my mood perfectly. It listened to this album daily for months, and weekly for well over a year.

Comus - First Utterance -- As with Ellestin, this has made a big change in my listening styles. It opened up a whole new range of music to me and marked the begin of my reduction in METAL listening, moving towards more rock and stoner and rock/acid-folk music.

Neurosis - Eye of Every Storm - Read a review on RC long before I ever first posted here. This album first introduced me to Neurosis and the entire concept of post-rock/ heavy music with a lot of thought hidden behind them.

Reactions: Bloopy
Metallica - Kill 'em All

Was the first metal album I owned. I grew up listening to my sister's mostly 80's metal/hard rock/cock rock CDs (Warrant, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Van Halen etc.), amongst which she had ...And Justice for All, Black, and ReLoad. I remember taking a shining to the Metallica album's over everything else (especially Black at that stage), and thus asked my mum to get me Kill 'em All for my 12th or 13th birthday.

Opeth - Deliverance

First Opeth song I heard was Deliverance, and I was immediately hooked. I remember hearing snippets of it every week on the local metal show, but always missing the back-announcement. When I eventually found out who they were I went out and bought everything I could find. Opeth more or less taught me to appreciate music on a level I never had before, and to take more from it than I had.

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

This is probably the album that 'changed my life' more than any other. I had never taken so much out of an album as I did when I first heard this. Sigur Rós definitely changed the way I listened to music, and were ultimately the end of my pre-dominantly metal based listening. Lead me on to appreciating music from a wider range of genres. Seeing them live on the Takk... tour was possibly the greatest musical experience of my life.

To be honest, it's really those 3 that stand out over everything else as having had 'changed my life', but there are some honourable mentions that had a strong impact:

In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Agalloch - Of Stone, Wind and Pillor
Genesis - Foxtrot
The Doors - The Doors
Vintersorg - Visions From the Spiral Generator

Various ABBA songs in the 70's got me into music in general and made me actually seek out music to purchase.

TWISTED SISTER - Stay Hungry was my first metal purchase after getting blown away by it literally a few months after coming to the US

SLAYER - Reign in Blood ... not my first exposure to thrash/death, etc ... that was Possessed's Seven Churches ... but rather a record that completely steeered my tastes toward the heavier side of things

Various EAGLES material for the melancholy, contemplative stuff ... typical downer music like Pearl Jam and Radiohead never did anything to me.

NEGURA BUNGET - Maiastru Sfetnic ... got me back into metal after not really listening to it for about 8-10 years and also opened my eyes to the scene in Eastern Europe.

americana_the-offspring_080805112100.jpg

The Offsrping
- Americana
I had changed Middle Schools in 1997. Looking back this was/is probably the worst decision I (or my parents) ever took as my grades dropped significantly until 2002, when I went back to my local school. Nonetheless I made a couple of good friends there. Among them, there was a guy who listened to radio-friendly rock ala Fuel, Silverchair but also to Megadeth, Fear Factory, Pantera, Angra and stuff. 3/4 weeks after he had asked me what I was listening to he gave me a tape with Cryptic Writings , Youthanasia, Rust in Peace and Ride the Lightning.

Other important ones would include : Sigur Ros - ( ), Agalloch - The Mantle, Isis - Oceanic. 2002 was an amazing year for me musically speaking.

Last but not least, Mr.Bungle's s/t, bought 5£ at Fopp last year. It has proprelled me into this whole bungle/secret chiefs 3/naked city/john zorn stuff in which I have found two of my favorite albums : Disco Volante & Torture Garden.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny. I was fully into metal at this time, and I listened to almost entirely extreme metal, with a few exceptions (Pentagram, Candlemass, Slough Feg). After spending two weeks of listening to this on my ipod and walking/biking around campus a whole new side of metal/rock came to me. It's beautiful songwriting opened my eyes to rock.

King Crimson - Red. Still my favourite progressive rock album, and helped me understand music as not just awesome riffs and songwriting, but it can have an atmosphere as well.

Demilich - Nespithe. The first death metal album that I really 'got'. Most of the time I'd just listen because it was heavy and fast, but Nespithe helped me see the awesomeness of death metal.

Agalloch - The Mantle. Listened to this at work for a whole summer, and it was just one of those albums that made life that much better.

Opeth - Still Life. Sucked me into the metal, and gave me a better understanding of heavy music.

Mastodon - Remission. Sucked me into the metal, and gave me a better understanding of heavy music.

Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies. First band I truly got into besides the occasional song on the radio. I love the parodies. I still like this.

Reactions: Bloopy
I refuse to read a list of albums that changed you and not see a Meshuggah album (Frederick Thordendal's doesn't count)